An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics: Not Peculiar People At All?

Budge

[quote name='Budge' post='1350161' date='Aug 5 2007, 10:56 AM']So typical of Roman apologists:

We do not have to prove any of our assertions, ignore all our contradictions, and by the way you are anti-catholic and antagonistic. Just for good measure here are some personal attacks and condescending language to prove my point.[/quote]

Am I not the only one who sees that this statement is rather ironic? All you need is to change a few words and it has Budge (and her gang) written all over it.

[quote]So typical of [i]anti-Catholics[/i]:

We do not have to prove any of our assertions, ignore all our contradictions, and by the way you are [i]anti-Christian[/i] and antagonistic. Just for good measure here are some personal attacks and condescending language to prove my point.[/quote]

Edited by Paladin D

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Budge' post='1350161' date='Aug 5 2007, 03:56 PM']Catholic apologetics #3

over and over.

You all need a new script.[/quote]

Budge, people on Phatmass have [i]repeatedly[/i] asked you to clarify your points or to justify weak assertions. Your tactic is always to ignore those threads. Once, when a number of us were trying to get you to defend a point that you had made, you came back with a feeble, "I can't reply to every thread. There's only one of me." You just keeping making topic after topic after topic and never actually engage with what anyone says.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1350639' date='Aug 5 2007, 09:26 PM']Budge, people on Phatmass have [i]repeatedly[/i] asked you to clarify your points or to justify weak assertions. Your tactic is always to ignore those threads. Once, when a number of us were trying to get you to defend a point that you had made, you came back with a feeble, "I can't reply to every thread. There's only one of me." You just keeping making topic after topic after topic and never actually engage with what anyone says.[/quote]

Budge apologetics tactic #1.

I can see this has landslided to a "Budge feels like chirping the crowd and not being a very good witness" thread.

I'm fairly new to the catholic church. I was raised by a father who is an ordained baptist minister, an uncle (his brother) who is a misssionary in Columbia, and a grandfather (their dad) who was a missionary for 20+ years and taught at the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
When I was born everyone assumed that I would always be groomed to follow in the family footsteps and in a way I was. I can hardly remember a time when the church was open that I wasn't there. I knew the answers to all the questions, I knew scripture, I sat in the front during worship; all the stuff they try and teach you. I had the knowledge, but I didn't have the faith. So when I was able to make the choice on my own to attend church I walked away and never looked back.
It took me falling madly in love with a wonderful catholic girl years later to bring me back to church. It took her several years of her praying just to get me to go to a mass. At first, I couldn't understand the whole catholic thing. Stand up, sit down, kneel, speaking in latin, the incense, etc.
She finally talked me into going to a RCIA class. I went just to get the knowledge, not to "find Jesus", or have some spiritual awakening, but that's what happened. Maybe it was because I was older and a little more mature than I was when I left the church, or it could have been the fact that I was actually looking for something rather than having it thrust upon me. I found a peace that I had not known for a very long time.
April 15, 2006 I made my Confirmation. I'm a proud catholic now!!!! :sign:
You can teach all the religion that you want, but you can't teach faith. Someone has to be willing to find that on their own. God can be right in front of you but if you dont want to see him you wont.

Fidei Defensor

For emphasis, because Budge may otherwise overlook it:

[quote name='knightec' post='1352140' date='Aug 7 2007, 01:49 PM']I had the knowledge, but I didn't have the faith. So when I was able to make the choice on my own to attend church I walked away and never looked back [....]
[b]You can teach all the religion that you want, but you can't teach faith. Someone has to be willing to find that on their own. God can be right in front of you but if you dont want to see him you wont.[/b][/quote]

White Knight

Budge your skating on thin ice with all these accusations, Your posts have become some what desperately "looking for attention" Your arguments have no solid basis what so ever, if it did you'd be clearing up some points, like actually giving the people good accounts on what you believe, like many phatmassers have asked you too in the past.

Budge, if your going to an argument you gotta have some knowledge on what your discussing other wise you come off as ignorant.

[quote name='knightec' post='1352140' date='Aug 7 2007, 04:49 PM']You can teach all the religion that you want, but you can't teach faith. Someone has to be willing to find that on their own. God can be right in front of you but if you dont want to see him you wont.[/quote]

Amen to that.

Welcome home, [b]Knightec[/b]. Many of us Phatmassers are converts/reverts (revert = someone who left the Catholic faith, but came back, like in my case).

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1354345' date='Aug 9 2007, 07:02 PM']Amen to that.

Welcome home, [b]Knightec[/b]. Many of us Phatmassers are converts/reverts (revert = someone who left the Catholic faith, but came back, like in my case).[/quote]

Thanks. I definetly feel at home. My parish here is completely awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

So what? Im an ex-REVERT too.

Cradle Catholic, UU for many many years, back in Catholic Church for short time then LEFT.

Doesnt mean youll be there forever:)