An Old School Catholic Message Board

Torn

nowak.chris

nowak.chris

...between my need for support and my desire to work in a parish.

I had been looking at a monastery that runs a parish, and as much as I love the idea of doing both, I tend to be able to focus entirely on one thing at a time.

I was wondering if anyone new of a precedent for a diocesan order of parish priests?

If not I think that I may have to try to ***shudder*** **gulp** give into the nagging thought of founding an order.

[i]someone please talk me out of this!![/i]

nowak.chris

Not currently, but I hope to have one by the end of the week.

I recently broke off from discernment with a small monastery that runs a local parish and the vocations director doubled as spiritual director (part of the reason I broke off). Still not sure that I won't go back there, given time and some space, but I need to explore this really annoying train of thought, if only to forever rid myself of it. (Please, God, are you listening?)

The thought of founding an order has been following me every time I start looking at a particular order (MIC's a few years ago and this monastery). I hate the idea that I might be remembered for the things I do, let alone honored or revered as a founder of an order. But at the same time, I see a need that needs to be filled, and really think that I might be called to fill it.

[quote name='nowak.chris' post='1344892' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:12 PM']Not currently, but I hope to have one by the end of the week.

I recently broke off from discernment with a small monastery that runs a local parish and the vocations director doubled as spiritual director (part of the reason I broke off). Still not sure that I won't go back there, given time and some space, but I need to explore this really annoying train of thought, if only to forever rid myself of it. (Please, God, are you listening?)

The thought of founding an order has been following me every time I start looking at a particular order (MIC's a few years ago and this monastery). I hate the idea that I might be remembered for the things I do, let alone honored or revered as a founder of an order. But at the same time, I see a need that needs to be filled, and really think that I might be called to fill it.[/quote]

Your bishop might have some good insights for you. :)

[quote]I was wondering if anyone knew of a precedent for a diocesan order of parish priests?[/quote]

Sounds like Canons, either secular or regular.

Canons are incardinated in the diocese, but live in chapters or collegiate churches (most commonly at the Cathedral itself). They preform parish duties for their chapter church, but live in community. They may be simply diocesan priests organized in such a way, or live under vows and a Rule also.

Edited by batteddy

Chiquitunga

Here's a thread I started a while back on a small new group of priests forming in the Arch. of Chicago- [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=67643"]The Apostles of Jesus Christ, Priest & Victim[/url]. I am pretty sure they desire to offer the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, most probably in addition to the Ordinary Form. SJV currently has the Tridentine Mass at 10 am on Sundays. I haven't heard anything new since, but when I do I will post there.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='ILOVEMARY' post='1345563' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:55 PM']The companions in Christ or something like that in St. Paul Minnesota are very similar to this.[/quote]
Hey, that's a great contribution here! They look exactly like something Chris is looking for.

[url="http://www.companionsofchrist.org/"]http://www.companionsofchrist.org/[/url]

Edited by Margaret Clare

nowak.chris

Thanks all, I'm meeting w/ a priest who will hopefully be my spiritual director tomorrow.

I don't know how I forgot about St John Cantius, :doh: but they seem to be what I am looking at, although I know there is a huge need in my area... God's will be done.

nowak.chris

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1347137' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:46 AM']You are aware that they celebrate the Forma Extraordinaria, too? :)[/quote]

'Tis funny, that the fact that they celebrate [i]both[/i] forms is more of a 'selling' point to me. As much as I can barely stand the ordinary form most of the time, I know that any reform leading to a united rite will have to be based on the ordinary from.