An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are There Still Any Guys Discerning?

PedroX

nowak.chris

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1350550' date='Aug 5 2007, 07:39 PM']I think loneliness is the thing that sometimes gives me second thoughts, especially considering diocesan priesthood. I know it's probably unfounded, but it does happen to some men. I think it can be easy to escape it through ministry, but if your ministry is just keeping you busy because you aren't developing friendships with your parishiners, then there's a problem.[/quote]

That's my problem with the diocesan priesthood, and I think it is a more common problem (both for those discerning a call and young priests) than many realize. I wish that canons regular were more common, as they offer the benefit of living in community with a specific charism of working in the parish.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='nowak.chris' post='1351030' date='Aug 6 2007, 11:21 AM']That's my problem with the diocesan priesthood, and I think it is a more common problem (both for those discerning a call and young priests) than many realize. I wish that canons regular were more common, as they offer the benefit of living in community with a specific charism of working in the parish.[/quote]

Thats the reason, I decided to go with a religious order rather than going diocesean. I come from a family of six children. So I liked the aspect of living in community.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1351072' date='Aug 6 2007, 06:27 PM']Thats the reason, I decided to go with a religious order rather than going diocesean. I come from a family of six children. So I liked the aspect of living in community.[/quote]

Plus Salesians rock.

Oh! I'm a girl, shouldn't be here, sorry :) *creeps away*

IrishSalesian

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1351191' date='Aug 6 2007, 03:34 PM']Plus Salesians rock.

Oh! I'm a girl, shouldn't be here, sorry :) *creeps away*[/quote]
Yes, Salesians do ROCK! You don't have to leave. This isn't a "Boys Only" Table. All I believe are welcome.

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1351072' date='Aug 6 2007, 11:27 AM']Thats the reason, I decided to go with a religious order rather than going diocesean. I come from a family of six children. So I liked the aspect of living in community.[/quote]

That's a neat insight. I am a housekeeper for a diocesan priest and I often imagine how lonely he might get when I'm cleaning. But he's from a really large family, that mostly lives close by, so he spends a LOT of time with them rather than alone.

I am from a family of six, too, and I could never see myself as being single. At all. That's different from what we're talking about but along similar lines...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1352336' date='Aug 7 2007, 08:42 PM']That's a neat insight. I am a housekeeper for a diocesan priest and I often imagine how lonely he might get when I'm cleaning. But he's from a really large family, that mostly lives close by, so he spends a LOT of time with them rather than alone.

I am from a family of six, too, and I could never see myself as being single. At all. That's different from what we're talking about but along similar lines...[/quote]

My spiritual director is a diocesan priest and he says he looks forward to having time alone since he hardly has any :) I imagine most priests feel about the same way with many demands on their time. Also, introverts are energized by their alone time, so diocesan priesthood would be the natural choice for them. I'm drawn to it mainly because I like where I'm living, most of my family and friends are nearby, and I think I'd get tired of living in community with the same guys around all the time :)

Vincent Vega

I think I may be in the very early stages of discernment for the diocesan priesthood, or more likely, permanent diaconate.
Do I count? :P

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1352547' date='Aug 8 2007, 05:57 AM']I think I may be in the very early stages of discernment for the diocesan priesthood, or more likely, permanent diaconate.
Do I count? :P[/quote]

I think you do ;)

I :love: permanent deacons. They rock. (Although since you're apparently not married at the moment, you should become a priest, of course ;) )

Oops, I thought I posed here already! I'm discerning diocesan and religious order... Not quite sure what yet, or if I'm even called, but I'm out there! If I'm too loud about it then I get non stop questions from my parish, and that only makes me feel pressured to pursue a vocation to priesthood :S

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1351072' date='Aug 6 2007, 12:27 PM']I come from a family of six children. So I liked the aspect of living in community.[/quote]

Me too! But I can't resist the urge to 'stand in the gap' on the front lines (so to speak), it is a shame that there are virtually no orders dedicated to parish life (yes, there are the Canons of St John Cantius, or the Companions of Christ in MN, but for the US that's pretty much it).

Next meeting with my Spiritual Director could be intresting, as he sent me looking for orders and I'm coming back with very little in hand.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='nowak.chris' post='1354490' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:04 PM']Me too! But I can't resist the urge to 'stand in the gap' on the front lines (so to speak), it is a shame that there are virtually no orders dedicated to parish life (yes, there are the Canons of St John Cantius, or the Companions of Christ in MN, but for the US that's pretty much it).

Next meeting with my Spiritual Director could be intresting, as he sent me looking for orders and I'm coming back with very little in hand.[/quote]

Well some orders do run parishes within a certain diocese. If the Bishop os kind enough to allow them a parish.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1355048' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:45 AM']Well some orders do run parishes within a certain diocese. If the Bishop os kind enough to allow them a parish.[/quote]

Yeah, that seems to be pretty common, at least within the Franciscan and Domincan orders.

Isn't the bishop usually THANKFUL for them running a parish? Takes a load of work off the shoulders of his preists! I know my bishop would probably love to have a religious order take one of our parishes.

Berchmans525

I am a guy who is discerning my vocation in life. It is hard because I haven't "dated" like most guys my age and you get all these temptations/battles "thrown" at you which can really confuse you a lot.. It's rough but I am still working at it.. When you see people your age who were really CATHOLIC like you fall away from the faith, it hurts you to see such a thing..

Vincent Vega

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1352709' date='Aug 8 2007, 02:39 AM']I think you do ;)

I :love: permanent deacons. They rock. (Although since you're apparently not married at the moment, you should become a priest, of course ;) )[/quote]
Well, I haven't ruled the thought out...
But sometimes, I don't know if God wants me to be a priest/deacon, or if [b]I[/b] want me to be a priest/deacon.