An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are There Still Any Guys Discerning?

PedroX

When did the vocation station become all women?

Are there any guys discerning, particularly for the diocesean priesthood?

peace...

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1344266' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:36 AM']there're still a few here[/quote]

+

They're pretty quiet. :( I know there are a lot of demands on their time, but it's very nice to hear from them when they have a chance!

Diocesean Priesthood YEEAA!! hah.. Yea, I do not post much on the forums but I do read a lot of the topics here.

I am actually in the interview process with the Diocese of Sacramento in California. I have three interviews TODAY ! :D

Please keep me in your prayers today. Thanks!

God Bless,

JREM :D

[quote name='J_ANGELES' post='1344390' date='Jul 30 2007, 12:02 PM']Diocesean Priesthood YEEAA!! hah.. Yea, I do not post much on the forums but I do read a lot of the topics here.

I am actually in the interview process with the Diocese of Sacramento in California. I have three interviews TODAY ! :D

Please keep me in your prayers today. Thanks!

God Bless,

JREM :D[/quote]

+

God Bless You!

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Yep, I'm here and I'm discerning! I don't post on here too much, though. I don't post too much of anywhere, now, though. I definately read a lot more than I post, lol! But yeah, we're here, just quiet, I guess. If it makes you feel better when I was at a Steubenville Conference two weeks ago there were at least 100 guys who came to the altar when the deacon called all young men discerning the priesthood to come forward. It was pretty sweet! :cool:

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors, especially your discernment!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

TheOliverOrder88

Yep, I'm still here (seminarians count don't they...?)... I really don't have anything interesting to say, I just comment here and there about things.

Or: You know I move into the seminary (Saint Louis) in 18 days and I'm pretty stoaked about that. I also started taking books off my shelf for my room at the seminary and realized, I probably can't take all these books with me. Oh well.

I mean, besides all those cool things I discern about (celibacy, the diocesan charism) what else should I post? For girls, I believe its a whole lot harder and for those guys going into religious priesthood (or brotherhood) because you have to consider this charism of a certain order to another. I basically walked into the seminary and felt at home.

Edited by TheOliverOrder88

IrishSalesian

[quote name='TheOliverOrder88' post='1346276' date='Aug 1 2007, 06:43 PM']Yep, I'm still here (seminarians count don't they...?)... I really don't have anything interesting to say, I just comment here and there about things.

Or: You know I move into the seminary (Saint Louis) in 18 days and I'm pretty stoaked about that. I also started taking books off my shelf for my room at the seminary and realized, I probably can't take all these books with me. Oh well.

I mean, besides all those cool things I discern about (celibacy, the diocesan charism) what else should I post? For girls, I believe its a whole lot harder and for those guys going into religious priesthood (or brotherhood) because you have to consider this charism of a certain order to another. I basically walked into the seminary and felt at home.[/quote]

Dude, I totally hear you with walking in and feeling at home. I am going in to the Religious Priesthood, (Discerning, 1st yr, seminarian.) I had to take a placement test a couple of weeks ago, I live in RI, had to drive to NJ one day when i got out of work, and it was like 10 at night. I walked in to the house, and a couple of missionaries were there, they welcomed me, I welcomed them. I went to my assigned room. I walked into the house and fell right asleep. I never skipped a beat. I can't wait to move in at the end of this month! I move in on the 27th!
I also discern the celibacy part of my new life. I am completely fine with it. It gets easier and easier every passing day. The Charism of my order is awesome, The Salesians of Don Bosco (S.D.B.) Salesian charism points to the gifts of Holy Spirit to Don Bosco for the mission of promoting the integral growth of the young, especially, those who are poor and needy.
I love it!
Peace to all who are discerning,
God Be with you, and always look to Our Mother for Help, and Guidance.
PAX
Adam

Edited by IrishSalesian

Guest l'amor divino

[font="Georgia"][/font]

Yeah, but not diocesan. Discerning with the Capuchin Franciscans... gotta love friars!

"Christe qui lux es et dies!"

Edited by l'amor divino

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1347136' date='Aug 2 2007, 08:45 AM']Dude, I totally hear you with walking in and feeling at home. I am going in to the Religious Priesthood, (Discerning, 1st yr, seminarian.) I had to take a placement test a couple of weeks ago, I live in RI, had to drive to NJ one day when i got out of work, and it was like 10 at night. I walked in to the house, and a couple of missionaries were there, they welcomed me, I welcomed them. I went to my assigned room. I walked into the house and fell right asleep. I never skipped a beat. I can't wait to move in at the end of this month! I move in on the 27th!
I also discern the celibacy part of my new life. I am completely fine with it. It gets easier and easier every passing day. The Charism of my order is awesome, The Salesians of Don Bosco (S.D.B.) Salesian charism points to the gifts of Holy Spirit to Don Bosco for the mission of promoting the integral growth of the young, especially, those who are poor and needy.
I love it!
Peace to all who are discerning,
God Be with you, and always look to Our Mother for Help, and Guidance.
PAX
Adam[/quote]

Yea, I understand what you are saying about "feeling at home." When I visited Mt. Angel Seminary in Oregon, it just felt right and the seminary and area was so amazing.

Congrats on entering with the Salesians, they help with youth and poor a lot.

As for me, My interviews went very very well! Now I am just waiting for the Bishops approval to see if I can enter this fall. :)

Thanks for all your prayers

God Bless

IrishSalesian

[quote name='J_ANGELES' post='1348201' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:39 PM']Yea, I understand what you are saying about "feeling at home." When I visited Mt. Angel Seminary in Oregon, it just felt right and the seminary and area was so amazing.

Congrats on entering with the Salesians, they help with youth and poor a lot.

As for me, My interviews went very very well! Now I am just waiting for the Bishops approval to see if I can enter this fall. :)

Thanks for all your prayers

God Bless[/quote]

You Got Prayers my friend!!

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='l'amor divino' post='1347252' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:47 PM']Yeah, but not diocesan. Discerning with the Capuchin Franciscans... gotta love friars![/quote]

I met a guy a while back through the Conventuals in Louisville who is joining the Capuchins. I think he's in Philadelphia and currently a candidate or in formation. He said their order was growing so much they needed to built a new place to house all their candidates.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1345806' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:16 PM']Yep, I'm here and I'm discerning! I don't post on here too much, though. I don't post too much of anywhere, now, though. I definately read a lot more than I post, lol! But yeah, we're here, just quiet, I guess. If it makes you feel better when I was at a Steubenville Conference two weeks ago there were at least 100 guys who came to the altar when the deacon called all young men discerning the priesthood to come forward. It was pretty sweet! :cool:[/quote]

I've noticed that about 20-30% of the people get up when they do those "stand up and get prayed over" things. It's always amazing to see that level of interest and enthusiasm.

Guys don't tend to be as talkative, so that's at least part of the reason we aren't talking as much. I'm definitely still in discernment. While I'm not sure if I'm ready to go to seminary a year from now (only became Catholic in April '06), I plan on applying with the Archdiocese of Louisville. They have a discernment house (or maybe two) where you can live with a priest and get a much better idea of what the life is like. I know priests do a lot of different things and focus on different ministries, but it would be nice to know something more specific.

By the way, I'm reading a really good book called "Joy of Priesthood" by Fr. Stephen J. Rossetti. He the president of the Saint Luke Institute, which treats priests who are struggling with different psychological issues, addictions, etc. The book doesn't focus so much on that, but more about what kind of man makes a healthy priest, the common struggles among priests, etc. I think loneliness is the thing that sometimes gives me second thoughts, especially considering diocesan priesthood. I know it's probably unfounded, but it does happen to some men. I think it can be easy to escape it through ministry, but if your ministry is just keeping you busy because you aren't developing friendships with your parishiners, then there's a problem.

Anyway, just some random thoughts on that...