An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clown Mass

Ragamuffin

For some reason, I thought you guys were kidding. I thought it was one of those hyperbolic statements meant to convey various abuses in worship services. But you were [i]serious[/i]. I just saw one of these up on YouTube.

Can someone, anyone, give me any explanation as to what they thought they were accomplishing? I mean, are these priests so out of touch with contemporary culture that when they went out and tried to come up with something hip and current to add to the Mass to make it "relevant" that the first idea that came to mind was, "I know! [i][b]CLOWNS![/i][/b]"

Really?

Pontifite 7 of 10

[quote name='carrdero' post='1342935' date='Jul 28 2007, 04:05 AM']For those that have phobias of clowns, it can become a frightening experience.[/quote]
Its disrespecful to be dressed as a clown in mass. Why can't they just dress normal?

Ora et Labora

there have been many, many, many conversations on PM about clown masses. maybe you should look it up in the search. you'll get more info on it.

I posted a thread some time ago on a clown mass, in that video the clown actually tried to explain the symbolism behind it.

The problem is we now believe one can be interiorly disposed towards God without regards towards exterior worship. So people can excuse a clown mass since the priest believes in the consecration, thus our Lord becomes present, and the matter of representation isn't really important, how often do we hear, "It's Jesus' presence that it's important, the rest is nill"?

The reality is an interior disposition towards God will show exteriorly, and therefore the Mass must express a sacrifice, which clowns and all sorts of other nonsense have no part in.

Hey hey! Not only seeing the clowns in mass make me sick, but the constantly moving camera.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Krustytheclown.gif[/img]

[b]Currently Jewish. Future priest?[/b] ;)

Isn't it rich, are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
[b]Send in the clowns.[/b]

Isn't it bliss, don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around
One who can't move
Where are the clowns?
[b]Send in the clowns.[/b]

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1342996' date='Jul 28 2007, 08:51 AM']"Could it be...SATAN?!?!?"

--The Church Lady[/quote]

*smiles* I remember her.

[quote name='Ragamuffin' post='1342849' date='Jul 27 2007, 11:41 PM']For some reason, I thought you guys were kidding. I thought it was one of those hyperbolic I mean, are these priests so out of touch with contemporary culture that when they went out and tried to come up with something hip and current to add to the Mass to make it "relevant" that the first idea that came to mind was, "I know! [i][b]CLOWNS![/i][/b]"

Really?[/quote]
Actually, this carp is hardly new and hip, but left-over garbage from the '70s (the hey-day of clown masses and such). May its days soon be over completely.