An Old School Catholic Message Board

It Takes A Village

catholicinsd

True or False   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

desertwoman
:bigclap:

Word up. My neighbors would get me, and then my parents. Kids nowadays dont have this, and it is showing in my hood. No accountability at all.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1341995' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:54 AM']The problem is the village is no longer raising the child, its now done exclusively by parents, many of whom or ill-prepared or apathetic or downright hostile to any authority.

It used to be if you did something wrong in school your mum knew about it before you got home, because all your friends rushed home and told their mums who passed it along. You were punished and everyone heard about that as well. Likewise, if I sassed a neighbor, my neighbor told my parents who punished me. So "crimes" were public and known by all and sundry, and there were common standards.

Today if my neighbor's kid skips school and someone tells the parent she shrugs her shoulders and when the truant officer comes she lies and says hes sick. If her kid sasses an adult and tells him ---- ---- ----, and she finds out, so asks what you bothering my kid and takes the kids side, or simply doesn't care.

The sense that all kids should have manners to all adults, or that all parents stick together and have a common set of standards of enforcable behavior has totally dissappeared. It used to be that large families and neighborhoods all played an important part in the raising of all its collective children.
Life was a little more pleasant when everyone felt a sense of responsibility to the development of the next generation.[/quote]

if village=church, ie. parish community, than yes.

because, you at least need, apart from mom and dad, a priest and godparents ;) :P:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1341951' date='Jul 27 2007, 05:26 AM']How about, "It's best if the village supports the parents in raising the child"?[/quote]
and
[quote name='kateri05' post='1344254' date='Jul 30 2007, 07:08 AM']if village=church, ie. parish community, than yes.[/quote]
This would be nice.

How about:

"It takes a village to tax the parents so they don't have to raise their child"?

At least that's what Hillary means when she says "It takes a village".

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1344341' date='Jul 30 2007, 08:47 AM']How about:

"It takes a village to tax the parents so they don't have to raise their child"?

At least that's what Hillary means when she says "It takes a village".[/quote]
Yeah . . .

I voted no mainly because I despise Hillary Clinton, though the alleged proverb can have some validity in the sense of a strong traditional community helping in the upbringing of a child.

However, the federal government is not a village, and Hillary seems to be in favor of some kind of nanny-state government "helping" to raise our children.

I saw Hillary's book while staying with some liberal relatives, and from my brief thumbing through it, it seemed a rather bland political marketing attempt to portray Hillary as friendly to "family values."
(Which with liberals of course, typically translates into more tax-and-spend government "solutions.")

If I ever have kids, I will make sure Hillary Clinton plays no role in raising them.

Edited by Socrates

Knight of the Holy Rosary

We need Hillary Clinton!

Every village needs an idiot.

Edited by Knight of the Holy Rosary

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1344846' date='Jul 30 2007, 09:28 PM']We need Hillary Clinton!
Every village needs an idiot.[/quote]

haha nice

catholicinsd

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1344846' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:28 PM']We need Hillary Clinton!
Every village needs an idiot.[/quote]
And a bigot

Knight of the Holy Rosary

Did you just call me a bigot? :huh:

Edited by Knight of the Holy Rosary

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1345636' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:17 PM']Did you just call me a bigot? :huh:[/quote]

Don't be bothered by C'inSD. He's enamored with Mrs. Clinton. She can do no wrong, and anyone that criticizes her is evil scum.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1345641' date='Jul 31 2007, 07:23 PM']Don't be bothered by C'inSD. He's enamored with Mrs. Clinton. She can do no wrong, and anyone that criticizes her is evil scum.[/quote]
While calling any Republican an idiot or worse is perfectly acceptable, and in fact a sign of intelligence and goodness.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Socrates' post='1345648' date='Jul 31 2007, 08:28 PM']While calling any Republican an idiot or worse is perfectly acceptable, and in fact a sign of intelligence and goodness.[/quote]
Yeah, I've asked Catholicinsd directly how he can be rabidly prolife on the one hand and completely infatuated with everything Hillary Clinton does and is on the other... when those two possitions are in clear violation of one another. He either doesn't know or isn't telling.