An Old School Catholic Message Board

It Takes A Village

catholicinsd

True or False   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that statement is a bit farfeched, way too sociological for me.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

catholicinsd

Do you think that the Church- which is part of the villiage- has a hand in raising a child?

God the Father

The problems come because sometimes people who say "it takes a village" really mean "it takes a village government." I think ex-Senator Santorum or somebody similar had a book come out recently called "It Takes a Family" which I think is more accurate.

The Church has its role in Spiritual growth and recommendations. I have just heard way too many Sociological lectures where village and socitey don't usually involve church. They involve me and my role in the "vicious" sociological circle.

[quote]The problems come because sometimes people who say "it takes a village" really mean "it takes a village government." I think ex-Senator Santorum or somebody similar had a book come out recently called "It Takes a Family" which I think is more accurate.[/quote]

This was actually me. Note to self: Make sure family member is logged out of Phatmass before posting.

goldenchild17

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1341854' date='Jul 26 2007, 09:37 PM']Discuss.[/quote]

If the village collectively has the same values and same interests in store for the child as the parent does, then sure I don't think that's too far out there. In the case of most communities, probably not.

goldenchild17

That's a good way to put it. I think most children take in, to some extent, what they see around them. I think the "village" they live in does have a responsibility to be a good example to them and be a part in setting high standards for children.

Edited by goldenchild17

cmotherofpirl

The problem is the village is no longer raising the child, its now done exclusively by parents, many of whom or ill-prepared or apathetic or downright hostile to any authority.

It used to be if you did something wrong in school your mum knew about it before you got home, because all your friends rushed home and told their mums who passed it along. You were punished and everyone heard about that as well. Likewise, if I sassed a neighbor, my neighbor told my parents who punished me. So "crimes" were public and known by all and sundry, and there were common standards.

Today if my neighbor's kid skips school and someone tells the parent she shrugs her shoulders and when the truant officer comes she lies and says hes sick. If her kid sasses an adult and tells him ---- ---- ----, and she finds out, so asks what you bothering my kid and takes the kids side, or simply doesn't care.

The sense that all kids should have manners to all adults, or that all parents stick together and have a common set of standards of enforcable behavior has totally dissappeared. It used to be that large families and neighborhoods all played an important part in the raising of all its collective children.
Life was a little more pleasant when everyone felt a sense of responsibility to the development of the next generation.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1341951' date='Jul 26 2007, 11:26 PM']How about, "It's best if the village supports the parents in raising the child"?[/quote]
Too long for a bumper sticker, and that is what's most important. :topsy: