An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stanbrook Abbey News

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

I've no idea if this is news already - being enclosed, even with Internet and Newspapers and Occasional TV, means that your sense of time and stuff goes a bit awry ;)

Stanbrook (of House of Brede fame) held Abbatial Elections this week (we were asked to pray for them, we're the same Congregation and YEARS ago they were our mother house ;)): the new Lady Abbess is [b]Dame Andrea[/b].

Those of you who have memories that stretch back that far may remember that VA and I met Sr. Andrea's parents in the Summer of 2006 whilst at the guest house at Stanbrook. Lovely Scottish people; one of Sr. Andrea's brothers is a monk at Pluscarden Abbey in Elgin in Scotland, whilst another brother is a secular priest.

Your prayers would, I am sure, be welcomed by the community there and the Lady Abbess. Ad multos annos!!

Love and prayers,
PP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1341457' date='Jul 26 2007, 03:13 PM']I've no idea if this is news already - being enclosed, even with Internet and Newspapers and Occasional TV, means that your sense of time and stuff goes a bit awry ;)

Stanbrook (of House of Brede fame) held Abbatial Elections this week (we were asked to pray for them, we're the same Congregation and YEARS ago they were our mother house ;)): the new Lady Abbess is [b]Dame Andrea[/b].

Those of you who have memories that stretch back that far may remember that VA and I met Sr. Andrea's parents in the Summer of 2006 whilst at the guest house at Stanbrook. Lovely Scottish people; one of Sr. Andrea's brothers is a monk at Pluscarden Abbey in Elgin in Scotland, whilst another brother is a secular priest.

Your prayers would, I am sure, be welcomed by the community there and the Lady Abbess. Ad multos annos!!

Love and prayers,
PP[/quote]

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think I know any of the Stanbrook's anymore after Dame Gertrude died.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1341525' date='Jul 26 2007, 09:38 PM']Thanks for letting us know. I don't think I know any of the Stanbrook's anymore after Dame Gertrude died.[/quote]

I know people there, people who were there, people who know people who are/were there....you get the gist.

I'll admit it's rather disappointing how little interest there seems to be here about something like this. The Abbess is a (ahem) fairly important person in religious life; it's a shame that people seem to be obsessed with photos and pretty names.

PP

hoosieranna

Thanks for the news. Anyone in a position of authority can use prayers, as long as the prayers are sincere.

cathoholic_anonymous

I will pray for the whole community. :) I don't know much about the way the Benedictine hierarchy works (is it true that once you are elected as abbess or abbot, you remain one for life?) and I've never visited Stanbrook, but I have quite a bit of affection for the place - an affection that was ignited by the Piers Plowman quotation they have on their website...

[url="http://www.stanbrookabbey.org.uk"]Stanbrook Abbey[/url]

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1342073' date='Jul 27 2007, 04:20 AM']I know people there, people who were there, people who know people who are/were there....you get the gist.

I'll admit it's rather disappointing how little interest there seems to be here about something like this. The Abbess is a (ahem) fairly important person in religious life; it's a shame that people seem to be obsessed with photos and pretty names.

PP[/quote]

I think, it's because there is little knowledge of the role of the Abbess in Benedictine Life and for most of the phatmassers UK is far, far away and most don't know much about Stanbrook Abbey. It's not as well known as it used to be in say, the last century when many wonderful tranlations, etc. were coming out of the Abbey as well as liturgical stuff.

I'm familiar with Stanbrook because the St. Scholastica Priory in Petersham, MA was formed by them and my family was closely associated with them during this period of time. Dame Gertrude and Dame Anne lived over here for about 2 years. They were a big hit all over our small town!

Their Abbess is for life or does the community vote again when she turns 70 or does she retire at 70? Every monastery does something different.

How many more day so of aspirancy?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1342073' date='Jul 27 2007, 04:20 AM']I know people there, people who were there, people who know people who are/were there....you get the gist.

PP[/quote]

I think, it's because there is little knowledge of the role of the Abbess in Benedictine Life and for most of the phatmassers UK is far, far away and most don't know much about Stanbrook Abbey. It's not as well known as it used to be in say, the last century when many wonderful tranlations, etc. were coming out of the Abbey as well as liturgical stuff.

I'm familiar with Stanbrook because the St. Scholastica Priory in Petersham, MA was formed by them and my family was closely associated with them during this period of time. Dame Gertrude and Dame Anne lived over here for about 2 years. They were a big hit all over our small town!

Their Abbess is for life or does the community vote again when she turns 70 or does she retire at 70? Every monastery does something different.

How many more days of aspirancy?

Edited by Sr. Mary Catharine

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1342091' date='Jul 27 2007, 02:03 PM']I think, it's because there is little knowledge of the role of the Abbess in Benedictine Life and for most of the phatmassers UK is far, far away and most don't know much about Stanbrook Abbey.[/quote]

There's something in what you say, Sister, but if the European Phatmassers only posted in a thread when a European monastery or convent was mentioned we would have precious little to talk about. The Church is truly universal, so it would be nice if people could tear their eyes away from the likes of the SMME and Mother Angelica's nuns for a while and read about what is happening across the pond.

Hmm. An idea for a thread, I think. :)

puellapaschalis

In the English Benedictine Congregation the Abbots and Abbesses are not elected for life (as in some congregations). They are - I believe - elected for specified terms. Don't quote me on this, but I think it's eight years for an Abbot and twelve for an Abbess.

And....ditto what CA said about European and American Phatmassers. In fact, being an aspirant has taught me [i]a lot[/i] about religious life (though far from everything), and I'm just not inclined to take VS seriously anymore. The culture chasm is too great and it's not worth the effort of trying to bridge it with the Americans when hardly any of them seem to want to reciprocate.

This is my last weekend in the monastery. I had an interview with Mother Abbess this afternoon.

PP

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1342171' date='Jul 27 2007, 11:37 AM']There's something in what you say, Sister, but if the European Phatmassers only posted in a thread when a European monastery or convent was mentioned we would have precious little to talk about. The Church is truly universal, so it would be nice if people could tear their eyes away from the likes of the SMME and Mother Angelica's nuns for a while and read about what is happening across the pond.

Hmm. An idea for a thread, I think. :)[/quote]

I agree, with no disrespect intended for the above mentioned orders. I've noticed that there is precious little ever mentioned about missionary orders who serve all over the globe, for instance.

Chiquitunga

I know very little about Stanbrook Abbey, just that they have a great printing press, and many translations of different works have come out of there. I will have to learn more about them and their history. I'd like to see that movie at some point also, [i]In This House of Brede.[/i]

Yeah, it would be great to see more religious communities abroad discussed here. The 2 international ones that I'm most familiar with are the Monastic Family of Bethlehem and the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel in Kerala, India. But I don't know very much about a vast majority of others. EJames has posted a lot here on many different ones I'd never heard of. It's been great learning about them from his experience.

I don't think it's good to make people feel bad though for posting a lot about orders in the US. There can be many different threads here. It is great though to get an international perspective from the people here outside of the US like yourself, and CA, EJames, and so forth. Thank you!

I guess I'm probably the one a bit obsessed with posting pictures these days, :blush: In the last thread on the new novice at OLAM though, who was here at phatmass, it was so neat to hear her named after one of my favorite saints, being considered for the title of Doctor of the Church.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1342205' date='Jul 27 2007, 10:56 AM']In fact, being an aspirant has taught me [i]a lot[/i] about religious life (though far from everything), and I'm just not inclined to take VS seriously anymore.[/quote]
But really VS is just a place, an online message board, for people interested in religious life to share information and meet different people discerning and everything - but not very much more.

You're right PP that we really learn about religious life when we actually live it.

Edited by Margaret Clare

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1342276' date='Jul 27 2007, 09:36 PM']I don't think it's good to make people feel bad though for posting a lot about orders in the US. There can be many different threads here.[/quote]

It wasn't my intention to make anyone feel bad. I'm happy to read about American communities, and I have a soft spot for quite a few orders in the USA. The problem that I have run into in the past is that very few people seem equally happy to talk about European orders. In my time here I've tried to post several threads about English communities and all but one of them sank without trace after getting a couple of lukewarm replies. As PP says, it's really hard to try and bridge the culture gap if no one is willing to meet you halfway.

I know it's easy to love and support what you know. It's natural. But when a PM'er who is known to be discerning with the Benedictines posts a Benedictine-orientated thread that refers to her community's old motherhouse, it doesn't take much to work out that she might be chuffed if we at least promised our prayers. Autistic as I am, even I see that.

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1342205' date='Jul 27 2007, 11:56 AM']I had an interview with Mother Abbess this afternoon.[/quote]
How was the interview?
Can you give us some insights on what it's like to live religious life from the inside? You're right, most of us have no idea what it's really like. I would like to learn more. Feel free to pm me if you would rather do that.
Prayers for you, pp.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1342316' date='Jul 27 2007, 02:46 PM']It wasn't my intention to make anyone feel bad. I'm happy to read about American communities, and I have a soft spot for quite a few orders in the USA. The problem that I have run into in the past is that very few people seem equally happy to talk about European orders. In my time here I've tried to post several threads about English communities and all but one of them sank without trace after getting a couple of lukewarm replies. As PP says, it's really hard to try and bridge the culture gap if no one is willing to meet you halfway.

I know it's easy to love and support what you know. It's natural. But when a PM'er who is known to be discerning with the Benedictines posts a Benedictine-orientated thread that refers to her community's old motherhouse, it doesn't take much to work out that she might be chuffed if we at least promised our prayers. Autistic as I am, even I see that.[/quote]

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Actually I wasn't referring specifically to your post in saying that, but just in general. You're right though that there is often a lack of interest/discussion about European/non-US communities here. Often we, or at least me I mean, aren't sensitive to others and don't consider their perspectives. :/ It's an important point to bring up.

I just noticed on their site they're moving their location. PP, do you know what will happen with the old abbey?

Edited by Margaret Clare