An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fleeing Criminal Shot In Back.

Winchester

A few months ago, there was a furor in Houston because and HPD officer shot a fleeing criminal in the back.

This suspect had previously robbed people at gunpoint and was running through an apartment complex in an attempt to escape police. He knew he was being pursued by lawful authorities.

There are those of the opinion that since he was running away, and according to witnesses was not armed, that he should not have been shot. A gun was found with his body. The interaction was caught on an apartment security camera.

thessalonian

[quote name='Winchester' post='1338434' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:08 AM']A few months ago, there was a furor in Houston because and HPD officer shot a fleeing criminal in the back.

This suspect had previously robbed people at gunpoint and was running through an apartment complex in an attempt to escape police. He knew he was being pursued by lawful authorities.

There are those of the opinion that since he was running away, and according to witnesses was not armed, that he should not have been shot. A gun was found with his body. The interaction was caught on an apartment security camera.[/quote]

The police have a hard enough job as it is without us second guessing them all the time. Maybe there was a better way, but this guy was a menace and needed to be dealt with before he hurt someone.

desertwoman

Its Texas. Cowboy rules still apply I guess. To be shot in the back is shamefull, good or bad.

Edited by desertwoman

Groo the Wanderer

Yeah! Police should have withheld fire until they cornered him, so he would have had a chance to grab a hostage...mebbe an old woman or a child to hide behind.

THEN, they could have humanely shot him in the chest or the arm or the leg AFTER he capped the hostage.

Yeah..that's the ticket. >:(

So tired of people carping about our cops that put themselves in the line of fire every day. Poor Marshall Dillon would never have made it these days.... :cowboy:

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1338495' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:33 AM']Its Texas. Cowboy rules still apply I guess. To be shot in the back is shamefull, good or bad.[/quote]

Dangerous criminal with a gun.

They should have had a duel at high noon. Being Texas and all.

Shooting someone in the back as they leave because they don't wish to engage in confrontation is one thing ... that's shameful.

But shooting someone who is potentially dangerous -- suspected of a felony involving a deadly weapon -- and is fleeing to evade capture is quite another, and police are totally within bounds to do it.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1338631' date='Jul 23 2007, 04:59 PM']Shooting someone in the back as they leave because they don't wish to engage in confrontation is one thing ... that's shameful.

But shooting someone who is potentially dangerous -- suspected of a felony involving a deadly weapon -- and is fleeing to evade capture is quite another, and police are totally within bounds to do it.[/quote]

I was going to say this last night but my words weren't coming out right. You said it much better. Its exactly what I wanted to express.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1339512' date='Jul 24 2007, 05:43 AM']I was going to say this last night but my words weren't coming out right. You said it much better. Its exactly what I wanted to express.[/quote]
I see I am still sharing a brain with you .... it's good we don't live next door to each other or it might be REALLY bad. :hehehe: