An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Origen A Church Father?

brendan1104

Origen  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Origen is an early deceiver, and just a few weeks ago the Pope was praising him

Origen to be honest is the orgin of error!

[quote name='Budge' post='1347120' date='Aug 2 2007, 08:24 AM']Origen is an early deceiver, and just a few weeks ago the Pope was praising him

Origen to be honest is the orgin of error![/quote]

So there was no error before him?

:lol_pound:

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1347259' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:58 AM']So there was no error before him?

:lol_pound:[/quote]
Apparently there was no truth before Budge. It seems everyone who came before her interpreted the Scriptures wrong and was an "early deceiver."

[indent]If ever Origen was wrong and committed a grave mistake in matter of faith, please bear in mind that we are not talking in personal level but in spiritual. I am still admiring Origen for his eagerness to know the truth, the spiritual Truth which is too elusive to grasp. He really lives wherever his faith commanded him to go.

Castrating oneself is not easy just because of faith. Many will say, it is stupidity but still it shows how faith works in him. Faith is faith and to a faithful believer his belief is always true to himself since a deceived person is unaware that he is being deceived. What I mean is simple, if a man preaches though he is unaware that he is in the dark, can you say he is deceiving you?

Origen is now gone. It is useless to blame him for whatever he has done. Who knows why he wants to destroy what he builds?[/indent]

[indent]But still, the question is not yet been settled. - Did Origen and his works influence the formation of the doctrine of the Church?[/indent]

• 2 years later...
Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='reyb' date='03 August 2007 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1186181336' post='1348855']
[indent]But still, the question is not yet been settled. - Did Origen and his works influence the formation of the doctrine of the Church?[/indent]
[/quote]
Yes.

cmotherofpirl

"Origen Of Alexandria truly was a figure crucial to the whole development of Christian thought. He gathered up the legacy of Clement of Alexandria...and launched it for the future in a way so innovative that he impressed an irreversible turning point on the development of Christian thought. page 51, [i]The Fathers[/i], volume I Pope Benedict XVI.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 April 2010 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1272126803' post='2099224']
I always get Origen and Tertullian confused in my head. :P
[/quote]
Heresy!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 April 2010 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1272126803' post='2099224']
I always get Origen and Tertullian confused in my head. :P
[/quote]
Heretics!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='24 April 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1272134460' post='2099279']
While Origen's status as a Church Father may be disputed, this is not: Origen was weird.
[/quote]
Neither fact is disputed.

Ephrem Augustine

Origen and Turtullian are two of the Church fathers that were never considered Saints.

Edited by Ephrem Augustine

Neither Origen nor Tertullian are Church Fathers. A heretic cannot be a Father of the Church.