An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ten Commandments Changed

hello everyone...God bless.....first off im catholic.....im just troubled as to why the church changed the ten commandments........the second commandment states :

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Yet the second catholic ten commandment states :

2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Im just curious to why this is different and how prostestants and other christians could use this to argue against the catholic church..........

ALSO Timoth 4:1 states

1 Now the Spirit explicitly says that in the last times some will turn away from the faith by paying attention to deceitful spirits and demonic instructions

through the hypocrisy of liars with branded consciences.

They forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected when received with thanksgiving,

for it is made holy by the invocation of God in prayer.

Ok
ive also heard critics of the church use this against us.....saying that we dont allow priest to marry....which i think is dumb becuase it is a sacrafice the priest chooses......also were all called to be priest of our household and were allowed to marry.............now the only area i can think of that bothers me is the fact that the church will now allow those who were married in a catholic ceramony and divorsed to remarry..........i dont totally understand this.....
ALSO.........WHO COULD THIS SCRIPTURE BE APPLIED TO......BECAUSE WE AER IN THE LAST DAYS AND IT WOULD BE REALLY COMFORTING TO KNOW WHICH GROUP I COULD APPLY THESE DECIETFUL SPIRITS AND DEMONIC INSTRUCTIONS TO..................AGAIN I AM CATHOLIC AND I LOVE THE LORD.....THESE ARE JUST SOME ISSUES THAT HAVE TROUBLED ME RECENTLY..........ANY IMPUT WOULD BE NICE...THANKS AND GODBLESS.......

Edited by Guest

just found the answer to what i was looking for......oh well...mabey this will help someone else who had the same question as me

The Catholic Church has not altered the Ten Commandments of God. The Church has not dropped the "Second Commandment" as the booklet alleges. The Catholic numbering scheme may differ with the Protestant numbering scheme, but this is due to a difference in tradition and not an alteration of God's Commandments. Unfortunately the Bible is not clear on how to divide or number the Ten Commandments. If this difference is scandalous, it would be interesting to know what the author of the booklet thought of Jesus Christ when He reduced God's Commandments to the Two Great Commandments in Matt. 22:36-40. Finally the Church strictly condemns the adoration (divine worship) of statues, images or even the saints, since this is idolatry and in direct violation of the First Commandment. For Christians a crucifix should not be considered merely as a statue of Jesus hanging on a cross, but as a reminder of the high cost of our salvation as well as His words to us:

"If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." [Mark 8:34]

Ora et Labora

Thanks for sharing that with us. :) I have never even heard of a different second commandment before! That's very interesting...

KnightofChrist

You may also wish to read this thread...

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=68569&hl=Commandments"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...hl=Commandments[/url]

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1334278' date='Jul 18 2007, 08:36 PM']Thanks for sharing that with us. :) I have never even heard of a different second commandment before! That's very interesting...[/quote]

cool no prob....i see how quick and easy though it is to take a hastefull approach against the church as soon as there is a question that arrises......i am very bad at this and am trying to get better.......I always have to remember that God is Love and he desires us all to live......

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1334287' date='Jul 18 2007, 08:43 PM']You may also wish to read this thread...

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=68569&hl=Commandments"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...hl=Commandments[/url][/quote]

cool...thanks.... :smokey:

Groo the Wanderer

Good job doing the research DB. Here's one to pnder for you though..

You mentioned above (in all caps too - excited huh?) that we are in the last days. I would say to you that we have been in the last days since Jesus was incarnated. ;)

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1334429' date='Jul 18 2007, 10:49 PM']Good job doing the research DB. Here's one to pnder for you though..

You mentioned above (in all caps too - excited huh?) that we are in the last days. I would say to you that we have been in the last days since Jesus was incarnated. ;)[/quote]

thanks...ya, i agree, although it probally just seems way more evident now.....do you know the answer to my last question ?? is there any groups indentified like this that have been pointed out ??

p.s.
the caps......
i was feelen gay...
"happy"
not "gay"
i think thats disgusting....
but then again
all sin is disgusting in Gods eyes in Heaven.....
so i shouldnt be seperating that from adultry or fornication with a women....
peace

the second part of my original post was worded wrong....just noticed it......it was meant to say i dont know why the church wont allow people who were divorced in the church to remarry.........not why they do allow them to remarrry........cuz usually its pretty difficult to get annulled right ??? however u spell that......

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1334243' date='Jul 18 2007, 09:06 PM']BECAUSE WE AER IN THE LAST DAYS[/quote]

Where'd you hear this?

The "last days" arent nessissarily refering to the ending days of the world, but the last days of Christ presence on earth, merely speculation but, it makes more sense to see that Christ came as a Savior, not some apocolyptic circut preacher with a chip on his shoulder. If you jumble Scripture at the right time it can tell you whatever you "want" it to say, it's psycological.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1334458' date='Jul 19 2007, 01:13 AM']the second part of my original post was worded wrong....just noticed it......it was meant to say i dont know why the church wont allow people who were divorced in the church to remarry.........not why they do allow them to remarrry........cuz usually its pretty difficult to get annulled right ??? however u spell that......[/quote]

Catholics can get divorced for grave reasons, they just cannot remarry. The Scripture says "what God has joined, let no man part", and we take God at His word. Annullments are not divorces, it simply means the conditions of marriage were not fulfilled at the time of the marriage, no marriage ever existed.