An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habit Options..

jkaands

I saw an ad for the Dominicans of Springfield, IL, which included variety of pix of nuns, including a young one in a habit. Curious, I went to their website FAQ (note: I INCLUDE NO LINK) in the vocation section and found the following:

[i]Our community has four options. We can wear the long habit with a veil, a shorter habit with a veil, a black skirt and white blouse, or appropriate clothing with a symbol of our community.[/i]

This is the first time I've seen this made official, so to speak. Gemma has apparently spotted it (the habit option) at some other sites.

I would like to see the link if you could PM it. Just curious to learn more.

There is an office in the Vatican in charge of deciding what constitutes a habit for each Order (I believe it is a subsection of the CONGREGATION FOR INSTITUTES OF CONSECRATED LIFE AND SOCIETIES OF APOSTOLIC LIFE... or maybe it is the Congregation itself). After Vatican II, some Orders asked that only a lapel pin or their Order's logo on a necklace be their "habit". Many will dispute whether or not this was unfortunate- either way, not to get into that, these are the Vatican-approved "habits" for some communities.

As for Orders having options, I have seen that before. The Daughters of St. Paul, for example, have options as to their habits. Personally (and I don't know official teaching, if any, on this), I think that the habit, among many other things, promotes unity in the Community. That being so, it seems [i]logical[/i] that there be uniformity in what each sister wears, and that options be kept to a minimum. But honestly, I don't see minor options being a big deal. I think choosing between a full, traditional habit, and a "clothing symbol", as this Order you're talking about does, is a bit of an extreme option. Doesn't seem it would promote uniformity among the sisters. However, there are communities where there are options for the habit material. As far as appearances go, the sisters all look the same in these different fabrics (for example, at OLAM, sisters can choose between poplin and linen guimpes, and three different tunic fabric weights). But that doesn't affect the unity of their appearance, because they are such slight options.

Edited by Totus Tuus

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1333918' date='Jul 18 2007, 04:49 PM']I would like to see the link if you could PM it. Just curious to learn more.

There is an office in the Vatican in charge of deciding what constitutes a habit for each Order (I believe it is a subsection of the CONGREGATION FOR INSTITUTES OF CONSECRATED LIFE AND SOCIETIES OF APOSTOLIC LIFE... or maybe it is the Congregation itself). After Vatican II, some Orders asked that only a lapel pin or their Order's logo on a necklace be their "habit". Many will dispute whether or not this was unfortunate- either way, not to get into that, these are the Vatican-approved "habits" for some communities.

As for Orders having options, I have seen that before. The Daughters of St. Paul, for example, have options as to their habits. Personally (and I don't know official teaching, if any, on this), I think that the habit, among many other things, promotes unity in the Community. That being so, it seems [i]logical[/i] that there be uniformity in what each sister wears, and that options be kept to a minimum. But honestly, I don't see minor options being a big deal. I think choosing between a full, traditional habit, and a "clothing symbol", as this Order you're talking about does, is a bit of an extreme option. Doesn't seem it would promote uniformity among the sisters. However, there are communities where there are options for the habit material. As far as appearances go, the sisters all look the same in these different fabrics (for example, at OLAM, sisters can choose between poplin and linen guimpes, and three different tunic fabric weights). But that doesn't affect the unity of their appearance, because they are such slight options.[/quote]

I'm not surprised that Springfield has all those options. Unity in diversity is a big thing for Dominicans. In the early days of the Order the complaint was that some friars have full habits, some narrow. Some have high boots, some have shoes, some have black cappas and some have red (meaning undyed redish black), etc.
This being said, I don't get it in this day in age when the community can obviously afford everyone to wear the same thing!
Not wearing the habit is a recent thing for the Springfield's. It's too bad. They used to get classes of postulants like Nashville does right up until the '90's.

If you come here there is no choosing fabric! You get your summer weight or winter weight when the vestiarian (that's me!) gives 'em out! I'd go crazy if the Sisters were offered these options!

I would think poplin guimpes would be hot, though. Is it true that they use steamers to press their habits? What a great idea!

HeavenlyCalling

I dont understand why they ould make the habit an option so recently. I know a lot of Orders opted for the 'habit' of lay clothes, but I haven't really heard of many making it an option in this day and age. I am all for a 'uniform' look, maybe I just spend too much time in one!!

sunnysideup

The Sisters that run my school are from the Springfeild Dominicans. I personally don't like the fact that they don't have to wear veils. Once on of my guys friends came in to pick up his sister (it's an all girls school) and a teacher came up and acked him what he was doing inside. After he explained she left and he turned to me and said "Was that a nun?" It just shows how confusing it can be. They have other interesting practices as well...

These Sisters ran the all girl high school I went to in Illinois. Some of the older sisters on the faculty kind of wore the habit others did not. But the ones that did not you could at least tell they weren't lay people. Their theology was very skewed and way too social justicey ( I'm making up words) but I am greatful for being exposed to Dominican's at VERITAS!!!!! even though they did not really teach the truth. It's just a good reminder how important it is for us to pray for all religious.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1333929' date='Jul 18 2007, 04:00 PM']I'm not surprised that Springfield has all those options. Unity in diversity is a big thing for Dominicans. In the early days of the Order the complaint was that some friars have full habits, some narrow. Some have high boots, some have shoes, some have black cappas and some have red (meaning undyed redish black), etc.
This being said, I don't get it in this day in age when the community can obviously afford everyone to wear the same thing!
Not wearing the habit is a recent thing for the Springfield's. It's too bad. They used to get classes of postulants like Nashville does right up until the '90's.[/quote]

That is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

[quote]If you come here there is no choosing fabric! You get your summer weight or winter weight when the vestiarian (that's me!) gives 'em out! I'd go crazy if the Sisters were offered these options!

I would think poplin guimpes would be hot, though. Is it true that they use steamers to press their habits? What a great idea![/quote]

The options with habit material did not seem to bother the seamstresses. The poplin is much lighter than the linen and breathes much better so it is actually cooler. It does not yellow with time either, so it was the fabric of choice for the white parts of the habit for the majority of sisters. As for the weights, I would imagine the heavy material is harder to work with.

Are you asking me about the steamers? If so, yes, at OLAM steamers are used to press everything. And unlike Dominicans, creases are not part of their presentation, so irons are not necessary :P: I loved using steamers... so much easier. As sacristan, I had a steamer in my hand for about an hour every day! (they're also used for the vestments, surplices, albs, cassocks...)

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1333929' date='Jul 18 2007, 03:00 PM']I'm not surprised that Springfield has all those options. Unity in diversity is a big thing for Dominicans. In the early days of the Order the complaint was that some friars have full habits, some narrow. Some have high boots, some have shoes, some have black cappas and some have red (meaning undyed redish black), etc.
Not wearing the habit is a recent thing for the Springfield's. It's too bad. They used to get classes of postulants like Nashville does right up until the '90's. (excerpt)

![/quote]

I came across a link from 2003 of a first profession of a Springfield in a Nashville-like habit. Two sisters from IRAQ (Mosul) were also renewing their vows, with a pic of one in the same habit.

I sure hope that they stay here...

DiscerningSoul

I went to a Carmel in Barrington RI when I was younger and the some sisters wore street clothes, some a vail also, some a uniform type without vail, some in a modified habit, but there was no uniformily. They are a very nice community thou, right on the beach!

Also [url="http://www.crossfire.org/daughtersofmary/"]http://www.crossfire.org/daughtersofmary/[/url] These sisters who I went to high school with have some differances, like dress like, some with a scapular but they look almost all alike. You can see the pictures on there site. They are a very nice active community with school and medical.

But I agree that sisters in communities need to look like sister's, there is two times I had no idea that a sister was at our church until someone pointed them out.

but as some say it's not the clothes you wear that makes a sister. and I remeber the old saying, its not what people say, or wear, it's how they act that counts.

Blessings all

Jessica
[url="http://www.xanga.com/adiscerningsoul"]http://www.xanga.com/adiscerningsoul[/url]

HeavenlyCalling

I dont know why anyone whould ever want to get rid of the Dominican habit... so beautiful

( not that others aren't, of course :lol_roll: )

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1334154' date='Jul 18 2007, 08:22 PM']That is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The options with habit material did not seem to bother the seamstresses. The poplin is much lighter than the linen and breathes much better so it is actually cooler. It does not yellow with time either, so it was the fabric of choice for the white parts of the habit for the majority of sisters. As for the weights, I would imagine the heavy material is harder to work with.

Are you asking me about the steamers? If so, yes, at OLAM steamers are used to press everything. And unlike Dominicans, creases are not part of their presentation, so irons are not necessary :P: I loved using steamers... so much easier. As sacristan, I had a steamer in my hand for about an hour every day! (they're also used for the vestments, surplices, albs, cassocks...)[/quote]

Creases are NOT a part of our habit, at least not for the friars or the nuns. In fact they were expressly forbidden in the nuns constitutions. I only recently learned about the style of habit of Nashville and Ann Arbor with creases and pleats in the skirt part and well, we don't consider that the authentic Dominican Habit!

For us, it is like the Poor Clares, a very simple tunic style. One size fits all! There are seams at the shoulders and then it hangs and is caught by the belt. NO PLEATS! NO CREASES! Deo gratias!

We'll have to look into steamers! We use the big pressers and it can be a lot of work. My only question would be how the scapular looks and obviously it looks fine for the Poor Clares.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1334255' date='Jul 18 2007, 09:15 PM']Creases are NOT a part of our habit, at least not for the friars or the nuns. In fact they were expressly forbidden in the nuns constitutions. I only recently learned about the style of habit of Nashville and Ann Arbor with creases and pleats in the skirt part and well, we don't consider that the authentic Dominican Habit!

For us, it is like the Poor Clares, a very simple tunic style. One size fits all! There are seams at the shoulders and then it hangs and is caught by the belt. NO PLEATS! NO CREASES! Deo gratias!

We'll have to look into steamers! We use the big pressers and it can be a lot of work. My only question would be how the scapular looks and obviously it looks fine for the Poor Clares.[/quote]

Oh I'm sorry sister. Every Dominican habit I've ever seen (contemplatives and actives included, both friars and nuns) have always had creases! I assumed it was part of the presentation of the Dominican habit. :)

Do consider steamers. They save a lot of precious time and probably save some money, too. The habit material for the tunics and scapulars at olam is made of some kind of rayon-blend, so it doesn't wrinkle much. The Dominican habits I have seen have more cotton, so I don't know if the scapular would look the same or not :)
Lauren

Edited by Totus Tuus

Birgitta Noel

I'm not a religious, but I switched to a steamer about a year ago. It is so much easier than an iron and works well on MOST fabrics. I suspect that anything a habit might be made out of it would work well on.

I could not live without my steamer now!

Just be careful not to scald yourself on the steam!

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1334386' date='Jul 18 2007, 10:39 PM']Oh I'm sorry sister. Every Dominican habit I've ever seen (contemplatives and actives included, both friars and nuns) have always had creases! I assumed it was part of the presentation of the Dominican habit. :)[/quote]
I know some friars who wear creases and others who don't. One explanation I've heard is that they harken back to the days of mendicancy where the friars would fold up their scapular at night and put it under their bed. The next day, when they put it on, the creases would be as if they'd be ironed.

I also heard, I think from the Polish Dominican Sisters, that the crease on the capuce (do women call it that?) represents the open book of the gospel.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1334386' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:39 PM']Oh I'm sorry sister. Every Dominican habit I've ever seen (contemplatives and actives included, both friars and nuns) have always had creases! I assumed it was part of the presentation of the Dominican habit. :)
Do consider steamers. They save a lot of precious time and probably save some money, too. The habit material for the tunics and scapulars at olam is made of some kind of rayon-blend, so it doesn't wrinkle much. The Dominican habits I have seen have more cotton, so I don't know if the scapular would look the same or not :)
Lauren[/quote]

Oh, Lauren, I'm so sorry. When you said habit I was thinking about the tunic, especially because I just learned that the active sisters make it differently with pleats and creases in the skirt part.

Yes, for some reason, the friars love that crease down the center but it's not offically part of the habit. The horizontal creases come as a result of folding the scapular. The crease in the guimpe comes because it's easier to fold it and press it.

The habit, when it was all wool, used to be folded, not hung because it would stretch if hung.
As to the crease in the cape (or the friars capuce) representing the open book of the Gospel, well, that's a lovely sentiment but none of the creases are in the habit for those sort of reasons in the same way that the habits of later centuries had tucks and creases with all sorts of spiritual meaning. (One order had 53 pleats in the skirt for each hail Mary!)

Our habits are poly/rayon or now poly/wool (I ran out of the other stuff) and in the summer they are poly/cotton poplin so I would think that the steamer would be fine. Even if it was just a matter of pressing scapulars only it would be great. Our pressers are VERY old and ready to break down for good!