An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Pagan Christ

Advocatus Diaboli

:smokey: To me,at least,is it not possible that some of these pagan myths that have elements in them similar to the story of Jesus,maybe fortelling of the coming of Christ? There has to be a reason why the stories of Horus,Mithra
and other such gods contain elements of the life of Jesus in them. Perhasp they were profecizing in a way His coming to save us,but they understood it imperfectly.
It's hard for me to put it into words.Why should the Jews have borrowed any bits and pieces of the story of Horus or others for their belief in a Messiah? Why should the early christians have borrowed from anyone.?
Cultures can live near each other and not have the same religious beliefs?

I just think they are grasping at straws and there seems to be more and more of this trying to discredit Christians,
regardless if they are Catholic or protestant in their beliefs.

Farsight one

Thank's a bunch for sticking up the topic whoever did it.

Anybody have anything to say about this stuff(what's not already covered): [url="http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm"]http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm[/url]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1333300' date='Jul 18 2007, 02:54 AM']:blink:[/quote]

I don't even remember. :blink:

johnnydigit

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='1339462' date='Jul 23 2007, 11:47 PM']Were Abraham Lincoln & JFK [i]the same man[/i], doomed to relive the same life?

Oh noes!!

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both of their wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both were shot in the head.
Both were shot with one bullet.

Both were rumored to be killed in a conspiracy.
Neither was confirmed to be a conspiracy.

Lincoln was shot in the Ford Theater.
Kennedy was shot in a card made by the Ford Motor Company (a Lincoln no less)

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.
Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.
Their first names both contain six letters.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.
Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names comprise fifteen letters.

Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Both assassins were assassinated before their trials.

The only complete filming of Kennedy's assasination was shot by Abraham Zapruder.
The only complete account of Lincoln's assasination was written by John Zelfindorfer.

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was with friends in Monroe, Maryland.
A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with his friend Marilyn Monroe.[/quote]

hilarious. God is quite a funny guy.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='In His Light' post='1346056' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:58 AM']*cough*....Isis is a Roman goddess, not an Egyptian one *whistles*[/quote]
There was a cult of Isis in later Roman times but she was first, and most substantially, an Egyptian goddess -- the sister and wife of Osiris.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1339500' date='Jul 24 2007, 09:37 AM']Seriously, I don't care how "professional" or "scholarly" the website or video appears -- don't buy into this kind of carp without first verifying the claims against real scholarship. It is amazing what some people can get away with in terms of fabricating outlandish lies and having the masses gobble them up. My first couple of posts should provide enough information for one to get started in seriously examining these kind of claims.[/quote]

Thank you for writing that - I wholeheartedly second it. It makes my head hurt to see some of these claims (especially since my dissertation is Old Kingdom religious iconography).

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1346076' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:54 PM']There was a cult of Isis in later Roman times but she was first, and most substantially, an Egyptian goddess -- the sister and wife of Osiris.[/quote]

There is no Isis in Egypt, Aset is Egyptian, Isis is Roman. Two different goddess'. Aset is Wesir's [Osiris] wife not Isis.

[quote name='In His Light' post='1346438' date='Aug 1 2007, 06:45 PM']There is no Isis in Egypt, Aset is Egyptian, Isis is Roman. Two different goddess'. Aset is Wesir's [Osiris] wife not Isis.[/quote]

Although Wikipedia is a horrible source:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='In His Light' post='1346438' date='Aug 1 2007, 07:45 PM']There is no Isis in Egypt, Aset is Egyptian, Isis is Roman. Two different goddess'. Aset is Wesir's [Osiris] wife not Isis.[/quote]
No, Aset, Ausar and Heru can be validly spoken of as Isis, Osiris and Horus; this is in fact extremely common. If one is contrasting the Hellenic-Roman cults with the ancient Egyptian the distinction is useful, but in broad discussions the latter names are perfectly valid. Indeed, the Horus-Jesus people assume this since they are considering Horus in a very broad sense. In any case I think you are splitting hairs.

Pagan gods often morph and merge throughout history so you are correct in that generalized nomenclature is often quite imprecise or superficial, but it is still valid in contexts such as these.