An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good News From Marbury

stlmom

In today's mail, I received a lovely little note from a former phatmasser, Sr. Ida, AKA TheresaMF, a former phatmasser. She is completing her postulancy with the Dominican Nuns at the Monastery of St. Jude in Marbury, Alabama, and will become a novice on August 8! I sent her a Christmas card last year, not expecting to ever hear back, after all, as I am not family or anything, so how nice to get an update from her!

Anybody here besides Totus Tuus remember Sr. Ida?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='stlmom' post='1331170' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:53 PM']In today's mail, I received a lovely little note from a former phatmasser, Sr. Ida, AKA TheresaMF, a former phatmasser. She is completing her postulancy with the Dominican Nuns at the Monastery of St. Jude in Marbury, Alabama, and will become a novice on August 8! I sent her a Christmas card last year, not expecting to ever hear back, after all, as I am not family or anything, so how nice to get an update from her!

Anybody here besides Totus Tuus remember Sr. Ida?[/quote]

Do you know if her companion stayed, also. I didn't go to the Novice Mistress meeting so I didn't get to talk with Sr. Mary of the Precious Blood.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1331262' date='Jul 16 2007, 07:01 PM']Do you know if her companion stayed, also. I didn't go to the Novice Mistress meeting so I didn't get to talk with Sr. Mary of the Precious Blood.[/quote]

Her companion did not stay, but I met her while she was there and she was so sweet!

[quote name='stlmom' post='1331170' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:53 PM']In today's mail, I received a lovely little note from a former phatmasser, Sr. Ida, AKA TheresaMF, a former phatmasser. She is completing her postulancy with the Dominican Nuns at the Monastery of St. Jude in Marbury, Alabama, and will become a novice on August 8! I sent her a Christmas card last year, not expecting to ever hear back, after all, as I am not family or anything, so how nice to get an update from her!

I am v glad she's there--they haven't had vocs for years.

[quote name='stlmom' post='1331170' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:53 PM']In today's mail, I received a lovely little note from a former phatmasser, Sr. Ida, AKA TheresaMF, a former phatmasser. She is completing her postulancy with the Dominican Nuns at the Monastery of St. Jude in Marbury, Alabama, and will become a novice on August 8! I sent her a Christmas card last year, not expecting to ever hear back, after all, as I am not family or anything, so how nice to get an update from her!

+

I remember! Thanks for the update! I think of her from time to time and hope she is well.

• 1 month later...

OK, just a little more here--Sr. Ida did receiver her habit on August 8. Her new name is
Sister Mary Jordan of the Holy Family. All you Dominicophiles (?) know about Blessed Jordan of Saxony who was the 2nd Master of the Order following St. Dominic--so this little explanation of her name is a bit of preaching :lol_roll: to the choir here. God bless her!

AlterDominicus

[quote name='stlmom' post='1374965' date='Aug 31 2007, 03:04 PM']OK, just a little more here--Sr. Ida did receiver her habit on August 8. Her new name is
Sister Mary Jordan of the Holy Family. All you Dominicophiles (?) know about Blessed Jordan of Saxony who was the 2nd Master of the Order following St. Dominic--so this little explanation of her name is a bit of preaching :lol_roll: to the choir here. God bless her![/quote]

Who doesnt know about Bl. Jordan of Saxony!? Some obviously dont, but thats the name I wanted to take as a Novice.

[quote name='stlmom' post='1374965' date='Aug 31 2007, 03:04 PM']OK, just a little more here--Sr. Ida did receiver her habit on August 8. Her new name is
Sister Mary Jordan of the Holy Family. All you Dominicophiles (?) know about Blessed Jordan of Saxony who was the 2nd Master of the Order following St. Dominic--so this little explanation of her name is a bit of preaching :lol_roll: to the choir here. God bless her![/quote]
STLmom, it's so great how you've kept in touch with sister and update us as well! I am very fond of Bl Jordan (comes from the Dominican inflences in my life, I suppose). It's a lovely name and title. Many, many prayers for Sr. Mary Jordan and her community!!! :clap:

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1374971' date='Aug 31 2007, 04:15 PM']Who doesnt know about Bl. Jordan of Saxony!? Some obviously dont, but thats the name I wanted to take as a Novice.[/quote]

Ok ... I feel not-so-smart now ; whose Bl. Jordan of Saxony?

:unsure: :-)

[quote name='shortnun' post='1375140' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:03 PM']STLmom, it's so great how you've kept in touch with sister and update us as well! I am very fond of Bl Jordan (comes from the Dominican inflences in my life, I suppose). It's a lovely name and title. Many, many prayers for Sr. Mary Jordan and her community!!! :clap:[/quote]

My husband and I are proud Navy parents, so we know how much it means for a young person away from home to receive mail. I've tried to send at least one card to those PM'ers in formation, especially ones who enter lesser known orders or who go far from home. It's the same for many people who send mail to our young men and women in the Armed Forces. I have found that those people who cannot just call, email, or phone anyone whenever they like anymore are the most appreciative of mail, and when they are allowed to write back, their notes are always very thoughtful.
It's not that I expect to have an ongoing exchange with most of these wonderful people who attempt religious life, but that I think we all need to keep encouraging them through their first few years of formation.
Sister Jordan's community does not update it's website much, and I don't have any pictures to share, sorry, but I agree that her presence is a sign of hope for her monastery's future.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='stlmom' post='1375164' date='Aug 31 2007, 07:32 PM']My husband and I are proud Navy parents, so we know how much it means for a young person away from home to receive mail. I've tried to send at least one card to those PM'ers in formation, especially ones who enter lesser known orders or who go far from home. It's the same for many people who send mail to our young men and women in the Armed Forces. I have found that those people who cannot just call, email, or phone anyone whenever they like anymore are the most appreciative of mail, and when they are allowed to write back, their notes are always very thoughtful.
It's not that I expect to have an ongoing exchange with most of these wonderful people who attempt religious life, but that I think we all need to keep encouraging them through their first few years of formation.
Sister Jordan's community does not update it's website much, and I don't have any pictures to share, sorry, but I agree that her presence is a sign of hope for her monastery's future.[/quote]

They want to update their website more but there is a problem with the company who is doing it. They aren't letting the Sisters do it themselves or something to that effect. I think Sr. Mary of the Precious Blood is frustrated.

Thanks for letting us know Ida's new name! Bl. Jordan is a great patron to have!

SMC

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='stlmom' post='1375164' date='Aug 31 2007, 05:32 PM']My husband and I are proud Navy parents, so we know how much it means for a young person away from home to receive mail. I've tried to send at least one card to those PM'ers in formation, especially ones who enter lesser known orders or who go far from home. It's the same for many people who send mail to our young men and women in the Armed Forces. I have found that those people who cannot just call, email, or phone anyone whenever they like anymore are the most appreciative of mail, and when they are allowed to write back, their notes are always very thoughtful.
It's not that I expect to have an ongoing exchange with most of these wonderful people who attempt religious life, but that I think we all need to keep encouraging them through their first few years of formation.[/quote]
You are very thoughtful, Mom.