An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blogging Nuns

jkaands

[quote name='HollyDolly' post='1348607' date='Aug 3 2007, 01:37 PM']The Marianist Sisters weblog and the communities featured on catholicnunstoday.org are right in my area .The Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrement from Victoria ,Tx teach at Our Lady of Perpetual Help School in Selma,just up the road from me.Sweet![/quote]
Sr. Nicole, the Marianist Sister, just moved to Dayton, OH for her second year of the novitiate!

• 3 weeks later...
Sister Rose Therese

It seems like a lot of different communities and individual Sisters have blogs and them also a website.
Do you find the blogs helpful? More helpful than the websites? Or is it just that you like to reading them more for enjoyment, inspiration and not so much as a help for discernment?

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1398442' date='Oct 6 2007, 02:58 PM']It seems like a lot of different communities and individual Sisters have blogs and them also a website.
Do you find the blogs helpful? More helpful than the websites? Or is it just that you like to reading them more for enjoyment, inspiration and not so much as a help for discernment?[/quote]

Hi Sister,
Obviously, I'm not a discerner, but may I add my two cents on blogs vs. websites? If a community has a website that is regularly updated, that seems to satisfy many people who are exploring religious life. Blogs can be very interesting to read, but I wonder how time consuming they must be for the writer, to regularly come up with something thoughtful and readable. How many religious really have time to do this? Blogs that are written by women in formation are sometimes very insightful and can dispel erroneous notions about religious life effectively. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd keep the website up to date and informative and not worry about blogging.

I'd like to propose that there ought to be a connection b/w a community's charism and whether or not they blog. In other words, I know many Daughters of St. Paul have blogs--they link to them on their website. Seeing as their charism mediates God's work through the media, I think it's a wonderful "apostolate" of sorts for the sisters to be involved in. Also, the Georgetown Visitation sisters have a blog and try to stick to only updating it on Sundays--and this I think is an indication of how they live in the healthy tension b/w apostolic and monastic life. But if a Missionary of Charity (a community who specifically choses to not even have a website) started a blog, I'd be slightly befuddled (not to say I wouldn't read it). In the end, I'm in agreement with STLmom- a regularly updated website beats a blog any day.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='shortnun' post='1398851' date='Oct 7 2007, 02:02 PM']I'd like to propose that there ought to be a connection b/w a community's charism and whether or not they blog. In other words, I know many Daughters of St. Paul have blogs--they link to them on their website. Seeing as their charism mediates God's work through the media, I think it's a wonderful "apostolate" of sorts for the sisters to be involved in. Also, the Georgetown Visitation sisters have a blog and try to stick to only updating it on Sundays--and this I think is an indication of how they live in the healthy tension b/w apostolic and monastic life. But if a Missionary of Charity (a community who specifically choses to not even have a website) started a blog, I'd be slightly befuddled (not to say I wouldn't read it). In the end, I'm in agreement with STLmom- a regularly updated website beats a blog any day.[/quote]

Good to know. Thank you both. We had put a discussion page on our website, and it really hasn't had much of a response. I had wondered whether having a blog would work better, but it isn't quite the same thing. I know people can put in comments, but they don't automatically show up. Looking at the other blogs that are listed here, well they seem to have someting that I lack, the ability to write interesting things on the spur of the moment. I don't think we even have a Sister right now who would have the time to take up something like that. I'll take you advice and just work at keeping the website up-to-date.
Thanks so much.

Speaking of the Daughters of St. Paul, here is another of their many blogs, featuring community updates:

[url="http://insideourcommunity.blogspot.com/"]Inside our Community[/url]

There are some pictures of a 1st profession ceremony from this summer, if you scroll down near the bottom of the page.

Yaay! Thanks, stlmom! I never really read much about the Daughters of St. Paul, so I don't know much about their charism. Not for long!

Saint Therese

Actually, one of the sisters on the blog, Sr. Mary Joseph, was my vocation contact when she was in the convent in San Antonio.

• 2 years later...

Another Daughter of St. Paul, my friend Sr. Helena Burns has a great blog! Very funny, Theology of the Body, movie reviews ect! [url="http://hellburns.blogspot.com"]http://hellburns.blogspot.com[/url]