An Old School Catholic Message Board

Various Topics

dairygirl4u2c

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lord Philip

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1322232' date='Jul 10 2007, 07:29 AM']ty[/quote]

The first question asks whether we should allow puritanical hatred of pleasure and beauty to be the law of the land. The answer is no.

The second question asks whether we should abandon the universal principle which says that suffering builds character, and allow our children to grow into self-centered wretches. This basically asks whether parents should be parents or hippies. The answer is no.

In both cases, there has to be temperance. If someone smokes to the point of endangering their health, then that is morally wrong, but still not a basis for a law. If we make all smoking illegal merely because this [i]could[/i] happen, then we must outlaw ice cream as well because people die from heart disease from over-eating much more often than from smoke related causes.

If you beat your child until he is black and blue...then something is wrong. That looks more like hatred than loving discipline. Hopefully, spanking is only a rare occurence on the occasion where there has been severe wrongdoing. It should never be done in anger, and hopefully will no longer be needed after a pretty young age.

I think these are common sense answers; tradition has something to do with that. Anybody else think so? Anybody disagree?

Edited by Lord Philip

[quote name='Lord Philip' post='1323495' date='Jul 10 2007, 08:02 PM']The first question asks whether we should allow puritanical hatred of pleasure and beauty to be the law of the land. The answer is no.

The second question asks whether we should abandon the universal principle which says that suffering builds character, and allow our children to grow into self-centered wretches. [b]This basically asks whether parents should be parents or hippies. The answer is no.[/b]

In both cases, there has to be temperance. If someone smokes to the point of endangering their health, then that is morally wrong, but still not a basis for a law. If we make all smoking illegal merely because this [i]could[/i] happen, then we must outlaw ice cream as well because people die from heart disease from over-eating much more often than from smoke related causes.

If you beat your child until he is black and blue...then something is wrong. That looks more like hatred than loving discipline. Hopefully, spanking is only a rare occurence on the occasion where there has been severe wrongdoing. It should never be done in anger, and hopefully will no longer be needed after a pretty young age.

I think these are common sense answers; tradition has something to do with that. Anybody else think so? Anybody disagree?[/quote]

I completely agreed with you. Especially the bold words.