An Old School Catholic Message Board

Various Surgeries Etc

dairygirl4u2c

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i dont think so. would a diet, or exercise be immoral if it was because you would like to be more attractive? no

Thy Geekdom Come

Aesthetics are fine, to an extent. It's when we begin pursuing good looks to the detriment of other obligations (such as health) that it gets to be sinful.

Also, motive should be investigated...do I want to look good in order to be more attractive in a simple sense or do I want to look good in order to attract that "hot babe" who sleeps around with all the "good lookin' men"?

As in most things, moderation is the key.

If getting rhinoplasty makes you feel better about yourself or more confident, no problem.

Habitual abusers of plastic surgery are, OTOH, a problem.

This gets into some moral "grey area."

Cosmetic surgery for frivolous reasons, done out of pure vanity, would be sinful, at least venially. I think most boob jobs and face-lifts would fall under this category.

However, it is morally allowable if there is a serious reason for it. Using plastic surgery to fix actual serious deformity or disfiguration is fine, even though technically this may fall under"aesthetic reasons."
A liposuction for someone who is seriously obese could fall under this category, if things such as diet and exercise programs fail.
There is some grey area between frivolity and serious cases though.

Our society is becoming more and more unhealthfully obsessed with physical "perfection" at any cost.

Edited by Socrates

let_go_let_God

Also there needs to be a point at which vanity does need to be looked at. As stated earlier moderation is key and what is the main purpose to getting said surgeries. There is also a new perspective disorder that deals with people who do not think that they are attractive even after they have these surgeries because they are not getting the attention and affection that the solely desired. Because of this disorder more young women seek multiple plastic surgeries and some even take their own lives because they do not feel that they can ever become "beautiful" within societies standards.

I am a "candidate" for reconstructive plastic surgery because of an hunting accident I was involved in when I was 10. My parents pushed me to have the surgery when I was younger but after deep consideration I am fine with my "defect" because the surgery that I would receive would not completely reconstruct my foot, just remove the scar tissue and would still leave me with the issues with balance I still incur due to the type of injury.

God bless-
LGLG