An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans' Updated Website!

Carolyn

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='alicemary' post='1315079' date='Jul 6 2007, 10:10 AM']I know very little about this community, and it does seem to attract young vocations. Just remember that externals don't really matter in the long run. A good public relations person can make glitzy websites/written material. Yes, the pictures are pretty. And the habits are old style, not that it means much. What is this community really about? I don't know any of these sisters, they are not in my area of the country. I am on their mailing list and receive a bunch of fancy brochures begging for more money so they can build more. So I am not seeing them from the vocation side, but merely on the business side. And I am not impressed. Sorry, but I call things like I see them. Anyone else on their mailing list for donations????[/quote]
I am not on their mailing list, but I am on several other ones and recieves pleas for money. I dont see anything wrong with it. They need more room for their sisters, I cant think of anywhere I would rather have my money go than to the future of religious life. At least when you send donations for these things you know that the money is going to a good order ( teachers, who are shaping the future of the Church ) and for a good cause. Sometimes when you send money through your parish it can go to things you dont really want it to go to. Everyone I know who has meet these sisters says how wonderful they are and how they would recommend them to anyone discerning a vocation.

God Bless!!

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1315746' date='Jul 6 2007, 09:17 PM']I have a question about the nashville dominicans, does anyone know if they have any plans to make another foundation? They're 200+ sisters there.....[/quote]
I think there have been some (healthy) rumors about their congregation making another foundation in the near future. But I've never heard anything directly from the sisters. Both the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist have Nashvillian foundresses (and the Sisters of Life too, to some extent).

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='shortnun' post='1317068' date='Jul 7 2007, 07:20 PM']I think there have been some (healthy) rumors about their congregation making another foundation in the near future. But I've never heard anything directly from the sisters. Both the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist have Nashvillian foundresses (and the Sisters of Life too, to some extent).[/quote]
I hope they do!!! The US could use more vibrant teachers, and the orders who have come from them have all been so wonderful thus far!!!

By the way, does anyone know how many schools and convents they own? Not just work in or stay in temporily, but accually own?? I have wondered this for a bit, as they are all over the US!!!

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1317200' date='Jul 7 2007, 08:54 PM']I hope they do!!! The US could use more vibrant teachers, and the orders who have come from them have all been so wonderful thus far!!!

By the way, does anyone know how many schools and convents they own? Not just work in or stay in temporily, but accually own?? I have wondered this for a bit, as they are all over the US!!![/quote]
I believe that the congregation only owns the schools that reside on their Dominican Campus in Nashville: Overbrook School (elementary), St. Cecilia Academy (high school), and Thomas Aquinas College.

The rest of the schools the sisters teach and/or administrate in are private or diocesan, but not their own per se.

Edited by shortnun

There are three Nashville Dominicans in my Catholic Studies class this summer. They're really cool!

Marieteresa

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1314632' date='Jul 5 2007, 09:27 PM']My community has the option of wearing a habit or not. I feel drawn to ask to do so, but I'm afraid that some might see it as I'm entering for the wrong reason...which I'm not. I think I'd better wait before I say anything about it. That way I'd more likely get a more favorable answer.

Peace,
Anne[/quote]

hey Anne I wanted to ask you...Your community has the option of wearing the habit? Wowzers, I have never seen a sister of Notre dame in a habit before and I didnt know that they had an option. So Iam guessing that most sisters decide against wearing the habit there. Because just looking at the fotos I wouldn't think that they had that option.

Sorry to go off topic!

Edited by Marieteresa

moon_child_anne

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1317695' date='Jul 7 2007, 10:26 PM']hey Anne I wanted to ask you...Your community has the option of wearing the habit? Wowzers, I have never seen a sister of Notre dame in a habit before and I didnt know that they had an option. So Iam guessing that most sisters decide against wearing the habit there. Because just looking at the fotos I wouldn't think that they had that option.
Sorry to go off topic![/quote]

Yes, I was told that it is an option if it's what I really want...but the fact that most of the Sisters don't wear a habit means that many of them have chosen against it. It's a few of the older sisters and the sisters in other countries that wear the habit. As I said, I'm thinking about asking to do so, but I am sure that I'd better wait until I get a foot (or maybe my whole body) in the door before I go about asking to wear a habit. One of the Sisters that I live with (the oldest one) told me that she's glad that I'm thinking about it, but I did explain to her that I think some of the others might think I have other motives for asking...so I don't want to go there until I know for sure I'm being accepted... If you know what I mean.

Marieteresa

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1317760' date='Jul 7 2007, 10:41 PM']Yes, I was told that it is an option if it's what I really want...but the fact that most of the Sisters don't wear a habit means that many of them have chosen against it. It's a few of the older sisters and the sisters in other countries that wear the habit. As I said, I'm thinking about asking to do so, but I am sure that I'd better wait until I get a foot (or maybe my whole body) in the door before I go about asking to wear a habit. One of the Sisters that I live with (the oldest one) told me that she's glad that I'm thinking about it, but I did explain to her that I think some of the others might think I have other motives for asking...so I don't want to go there until I know for sure I'm being accepted... If you know what I mean.[/quote]

What motives are they speaking about? Sorry if Iam in the dark here

be_thou_my_vision

I understand... it's like you don't want to overstep your territory because you are so new... I gotcha! :)

moon_child_anne

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1317778' date='Jul 7 2007, 10:47 PM']What motives are they speaking about? Sorry if Iam in the dark here[/quote]

The motives that I am speaking about are: (these are NOT my beliefs, but I'm afraid that some of the Sisters might think they are based on if I ask to wear a habit)

1) that I am joining the community for my interest in the habit ... which is not true for me. I feel called to religious life reguardless if they wear a habit or not. I think it's a nice gesture that they'd let me choose this option, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb either.

2) that I think ALL sisters should wear habits... I don't think this. If I did, I'd be asking to join a community where it was required. I believe that God calls women to go to certain communities. I believe that I'd still be interested in this community reguardless of whether they offered this choice or not.

3) that my beliefs are that the church should go back to how it was before Vatican 2. I really don't believe this at all. I like the church how it is today. While it's nice to know that there has been change in the past, and may be change in the future, I don't feel it necessary to take a step backwards.

I'm afraid that the Sisters might think one or alot of those things if I ask right away. I want to be in the community for a little while and ask. For me, it would be nice not to have to think about what to wear every day. I also think it would be a nice witness to the church and for the community, but I understand that in some professions that the Sisters hold, it may not be practical anymore.

There's my 2 cents. I hope you understand where I'm coming from a little better now.

Peace,
Anne

HeavenlyCalling

Not to mention that you wouldn't have to worry about what your hair looked like. :-) Do they offer a habit, or would you have to 'design' one of your own?

Anne,
I think that you are entering a wonderful community, and you are entering because you feel called there. Today you might want to wear a habit, but who knows what you will find when you actually are there. I know nuns who are fully habited, and ones that are in lay clothes without even a veil. They are just awesome woman, and you know what, I hardly notice now what they are wearing. I see the person. People in the parish know they are sisters.
I say, don't plan your tommorow, just let it happen. And you best keep us informed of your journey!!!!

moon_child_anne

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1318909' date='Jul 8 2007, 04:12 PM']Not to mention that you wouldn't have to worry about what your hair looked like. :-) Do they offer a habit, or would you have to 'design' one of your own?[/quote]

I assume that I'd just wear whatever habit they could find for me. I'm sure a little tailoring would have to be done, but I'm not worried about that now.

As the poster before me said, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. This is the way I feel today, but who knows what the future holds.

Peace,
Anne

PS. We're still trying to find volunteers to help out with our "Stretch Your Heart" summer service opportunity. It's a "vocation thing" that the Sisters do to attract women. It sort of defeats the purpose that I'm the only one signed up for it at the moment though... :-( Anyone interested?

philosophette

[quote name='moon_child_anne' post='1318551' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:45 PM']The motives that I am speaking about are: (these are NOT my beliefs, but I'm afraid that some of the Sisters might think they are based on if I ask to wear a habit)

1) that I am joining the community for my interest in the habit ... which is not true for me. I feel called to religious life reguardless if they wear a habit or not. I think it's a nice gesture that they'd let me choose this option, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb either.

2) that I think ALL sisters should wear habits... I don't think this. If I did, I'd be asking to join a community where it was required. I believe that God calls women to go to certain communities. I believe that I'd still be interested in this community reguardless of whether they offered this choice or not.

3) that my beliefs are that the church should go back to how it was before Vatican 2. I really don't believe this at all. I like the church how it is today. While it's nice to know that there has been change in the past, and may be change in the future, I don't feel it necessary to take a step backwards.

I'm afraid that the Sisters might think one or alot of those things if I ask right away. I want to be in the community for a little while and ask. For me, it would be nice not to have to think about what to wear every day. I also think it would be a nice witness to the church and for the community, but I understand that in some professions that the Sisters hold, it may not be practical anymore.

There's my 2 cents. I hope you understand where I'm coming from a little better now.

Peace,
Anne[/quote]

Anne,

I think it is great that your Sisters are making it an option for you and that you are sensitive to the needs of the community as you consider it and how to approach it. From your posts it sounds like you belong to a very balanced community. I considered a community that wore lay clothes for a while and really liked their life, but in the end it was not for me.

I am also not joining my community because of the habit. I think it is great that they have it, but in the end it is the charism. :)

be_thou_my_vision

I second everything philo said. I notice how much balance these communities have. Especially Benedictines... isn't that one of their key things?