An Old School Catholic Message Board

God The Ghost Rider

dairygirl4u2c

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

ghost rider is that new movie with nicolas cage where at night he turns into a skull with a burning head killing people who do things wrong. with God, that would be specifically sinning.

examples from the bible being. if you are raped, you have to marry the raper in order to comply with sex before marriage laws. if you are a kid an mock someone bald, you are suseptiable to being mauled by a bear. if you father sins, his heirs are susceptible to death, and a whole town then can be wiped off the map by God's command.

i would think you'd have to say that God's justice subsided by jesus. because now, apparently if you are raped, you don't have to marry the raper.

dairygirl4u2c

this is actually all somewhat of a mockery of the old testament. i think it's proof absurdum that the bible isn't the owrd for word word of God.
but this idea of justice etc are the only ways i can reconcile it, sort of. i am open to wisdom and changing my view though.

i should have reworded that second question. obviously the justice of God hasn't stopped. but it's changed the way it's fulfilled arguably. mods feel free to edit at your discretion.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Interesting topic dairygirl but I think a more relevant comparison would be DC Comics character The Spectre which represents God's wrath more than Marvel's Ghost Rider. Marvel's Ghost Rider is interesting because the alter ego Johnny Blaze rebelled against the devil while using the hell spawn power for good. The Spectre acts more with the Holy Spirit part of God and there have been many controversial struggles about whether this kind of justice or judgment should be distributed by a human with Godly power.

A link to Wikipedia should make the understanding of The Spectre more clear to you.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectre"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectre[/url]

I have been through the many incarnations of the Spectre and I find the different series a fascinating study of not only revenge and retribution but how this fits in with religion. I would recommend reading the trade paperbacks which may be available at your local library.

Edited by carrdero

dairygirl4u2c

i'm pretty sure people would rather ignore this issue than address it. at least hte hard core bible is the word of god people.
i think others simply say the bible is the word of God for the sake of argument and don't really confess it to be necessarily, when arguing with prots. i know that was my method when i was catholic.

journeyman

there is a retributive point of view to this poll - with "justice" linked to the concept of punishment

Isn't "reward" also a part of the concept of justice? Or should it be?

For example:
Is not justice also served when the finder of lost valuables returns them to the owner
(who may or may not reward the finder - but the flaming skull isn't necessary to pass on a "well done, good and faithful servant.")

of course, now that I think about it, almost every angelic appearance had in the first paragraph, "don't be afraid," so maybe they were as scary looking as a flaming skull

Good topic!

I wonder the same things sometimes. Like it seems like God has forgotten to punish people (I am assuming you mean punishment and not necessarily justice). It would sure be easier to evangelize if you said "Look at Bob, he stole a pickle and God chopped his hand off. You should believe and be good." But I know 2 things for sure. One: God is Just. Two: God is merciful.

I don't know how to answer this. I think I will figure it out when I die though.

However, I think that maybe sometimes God's punishment does happen and people just don't give Him credit. There are places he has wiped off the map. People still have bad things happen. It just sometimes doesn't seem consistent. Then again, only God knows people's hearts, so maybe he only punishes those that really need it.

I don't know.

journeyman

I don't remember where I heard this . . . justice is what we deserve, mercy is what we pray for.