An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Smoking Evil?

gamesfanatic04

Is smoking bad for the soul?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

gamesfanatic04

I let my game do the talking, so that means I looked like a total goon. I calmly explained that while an incurable addiction to my cigars would be abjectly sinful if it kept me from say going to mass or something of that nature the occasional smoke (maybe once or twice a month, unless it's finals) will only serve to lighten my spirits and ensure I treat the rest of the human race with the dignity they deserve.

gamesfanatic04

I let my game do the talking, so that means I looked like a total goon. I calmly explained that while an incurable addiction to my cigars would be abjectly sinful if it kept me from say going to mass or something of that nature the occasional smoke (maybe once or twice a month, unless it's finals) will only serve to lighten my spirits and ensure I treat the rest of the human race with the dignity they deserve. And I would never ever smoke around an asthmatic, thats just being a d bag.

gamesfanatic04

I let my game do the talking, so that means I looked like a total goon. I calmly explained that while an incurable addiction to my cigars would be abjectly sinful if it kept me from say going to mass or something of that nature the occasional smoke (maybe once or twice a month, unless it's finals) will only serve to lighten my spirits and ensure I treat the rest of the human race with the dignity they deserve. Also, smoking around people when you know it bothers them is being a total poo head, if it bothers anyone for any reason I put it right out, and while this has led to my loss of some very fine smokes in the end it is just a bunch of leaves and they are a person.

Ok computer, enough with the tripple posts.

Edited by gamesfanatic04

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1311750' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:21 PM']So we should stop burning incense and lighting candles in Church, by that logic. Smoke damage. All those Black Madonnas...[/quote]
Non sequitur: similarity is not identity. For starters, incense and candle smoke do not contain Nicotine, an addictive substance that does the body no good. It's not just the smoke that causes the damage. There are also, I am told, a host of other chemicals in tobacco smoke that are not present in candle smoke or incense that are also exrtremely harmful to the body.

saint_wannabe

[quote name='Staretz' post='1311938' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:31 PM']Non sequitur: similarity is not identity. For starters, incense and candle smoke do not contain Nicotine, an addictive substance that does the body no good. It's not just the smoke that causes the damage. There are also, I am told, a host of other chemicals in tobacco smoke that are not present in candle smoke or incense that are also exrtremely harmful to the body.[/quote]
yup around 400+
i actully really suprised i've been told by many preachers that smoking is wrong because your are destroying your body, "my house shall be called a house of prayer" "your bodys are the temple of the holy spirit" etc..

gamesfanatic04

Actually Nicotine does curtail hunger and fatigue, and you mean to say there are tons of other chemicals in [b]cigarette[/b] smoke, tobacco itself is just a plant that grows in the ground, pipe and cigar tobacco are just that, tobacco, cigarettes are made from the useless clippings or just inferior tobacco, it takes tar to hold it together and chemicals to make it more attractive. If you smoked a cigarette like you are supposed to smoke a cigar you would feel nothing and quickly throw the pack away, cigarettes are intended for inhalation, which is a very different technique then smoking a pipe or a cigar.

My mother-in-law is hooked up to the tank. Smoked since she was 20. She is 76 now. I'am going to say that harming your body is a sin, and addiction is a product of overconsumption in a particular weakness that is potentially damaging to not only your body but to your soul also. If you have had experiance with a person dealing with it,you would know that to be true. With addictive behaviors come a plethera of sinful antics. This could be what the baptist was meaning to say. I certainly do not think that a cigar or two is an addiction,unless you can not give them up,or live without them.......Like my energy drink consumption. :breakdance:

[quote name='gamesfanatic04' post='1311244' date='Jul 3 2007, 03:14 PM']He lectures me for 18 holes about how my cigar smoking will not only kill me but send me straight to hell.[/quote]
You won't have to worry about misplacing your lighter.
[quote]gamesfanatic04 writes: So what does everyone else think?[/quote]
I have been a smoker for 30 years and it just may be the cause of my exit from this physical existence but I do not think it will determine my destination after that (for example heaven or hell).

Edited by carrdero

Laudate_Dominum

I firmly believe in the good of moderate pipe smoking. Cigarettes on the other hand are just too addictive and the whole inhaling thing is pretty bad. I think that cigarette smoking can drag a person down a little bit and the addiction that it brings to most people is certainly undesirable. I wouldn't call it sinful though.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='gamesfanatic04' post='1311244' date='Jul 3 2007, 08:14 PM']I was chatting with a baptist friend on the golf course, while he is approaching the tee I grab a cigar from my travel humidor, he hits an amazing shot and after turning to tell me about he almost goes crazy nuts seeing me with my stoagie. He lectures me for 18 holes about how my cigar smoking will not only kill me but send me straight to hell. So what does everyone else think?[/quote]

I gotta ask - what kind of cigar? I haven't had a cigar in ages, and I miss them! Obviously I can't have one while pregnant, but I really love a good cigar on occasion. :)

[quote name='Budge' post='1311877' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:33 AM']Inconsiderate Smokers make life very very hard for asthmatics.[/quote]

That is true. I would never have a cigar around my little brother (who is taller than I am) because of his asthma.

Anyway, to answer the question, I do not think an occasional cigar is evil. And someone should have a cigar for me since I can't. :)