An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Direction

tinytherese

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1310290' date='Jul 2 2007, 10:51 PM']Hmm, this is just an opinion. I think different people can be suitable for the job but personally I don't think I'd go to a lay person. I don't know that it would be a good fit since they have not been there first-hand, like a religious or a priest. I think it's different from the argument that priests can't give marriage counseling because they've never been married; they have the grace from God to do that. I'm not sure if it's the same with a lay person directing a young person in discernment. But that's just my opinion... I could be off.[/quote]
I agree, i typically would not go to a layperson. the only thing i would recommend is if perhaps there is a layperson with a degree in psychology or something, only if you need that sort of thing. But in the long run, i think monks make the best directors.

• 2 weeks later...
Berchmans525

I had a spiritual director for about a year and we met on and off for our meetings. He wasn't very helpful I thought and he confused me a lot. I think it was because he was stressed out due to having a parish to run alone with a school too. Maybe it was because he wasn't trained to be a spiritual director.

I still don't have a spiritual director as of now. I mostly ask a priest for advice either in the confessional or via email (my pastor).

If I decide to apply to the seminary, I would need to have one due to the lengthy and confusing application process my Diocese has.

• 2 weeks later...

Topic is a little old, but thought I'd add my history.

Really, having a spiritual director that matches your spirituality is important. Partially becuase from my experience, my spiritual directors kinda rub off on me :). From what I've heard, normal diocesan priests usually don't have the formation, or time to do one on one spiritual direction (some do though). I have a diocesan priest as my spiritual director, but he was a Carmelite brother and left before final vows for Diocesan priesthood. So he is a diocesan priest with a religious formation! Woohoo! Sadly I'm going back to Steubenville and will have to find a new one :(.

I would say for men and women, priests make the best spiritual directors, even over nuns. Mostly because a priest can be your regular confessor too. For those discerning religious life I would definitely choose a religious over laity (pref a priest, but a brother, deacon, or sister/nun would be good too).

As for how to find one... I don't quite know :(. I was actually one of if not the first spiritual directee my director had, now he has like 5 though!

Sometimes when it comes to discernment I will ask our diocesan vocations director questions and he is always great

I had one in the early days of my discernment. It was good. Aside from asking some good probing questions he ws very logical and methodical in his approach. Not surprising really. He was a late vocation and was an engineer in his previous vocation!

[quote name='Slappo' post='1362621' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:46 AM']Topic is a little old, but thought I'd add my history.

Really, having a spiritual director that matches your spirituality is important. Partially becuase from my experience, my spiritual directors kinda rub off on me :). From what I've heard, normal diocesan priests usually don't have the formation, or time to do one on one spiritual direction (some do though). I have a diocesan priest as my spiritual director, but he was a Carmelite brother and left before final vows for Diocesan priesthood. So he is a diocesan priest with a religious formation! Woohoo! Sadly I'm going back to Steubenville and will have to find a new one :(.

I would say for men and women, priests make the best spiritual directors, even over nuns. Mostly because a priest can be your regular confessor too. For those discerning religious life I would definitely choose a religious over laity (pref a priest, but a brother, deacon, or sister/nun would be good too).[/quote]

I pretty much agree with everything Slappo said.

As for finding one, that can just take a long time. I think the diocese might be able to put people in touch with priests who do spiritual direction. It might be a good idea to ask them if you're in a solid (by that I mean theologically solid) diocese.

[quote name='staretz']He was a late vocation and was an engineer in his previous vocation![/quote]

I have a friend who's an engineer and could totally see him taking that approach if he were a priest!

btw, what does your screen name mean?

Edited by Totus Tuus

• 2 weeks later...
Saint Therese

My parish Pastor is my main spiritual director. However, sometimes I go to confession at the cathedral in my diocese, and one certain priest there is the best confessor I've ever had. If I lived closer, I'd definitely want him as my spiritual director. <_<

photosynthesis

God will give you the director you need. Just pray for one, and ask one of the great spiritual directors like St. John Vianney, St. Francis de Sales or St. Ignatius of Loyola to pray for you.

I've had a few directors in my day. The one I had in Baltimore was very good, but I needed to find a different one after I moved out of state. I immediately decided to go to the pastor of my parish, and we met a few times but eventually I decided to find another priest who was a better fit. On a practical level, it's important to find a director that you trust. It is good to trust the advice you get from good priests in confession, however, I certainly won't put my soul in the hands of just anyone. I knew that my current spiritual director was right for me because he seems to 'get' me. I trust him to guide me in important spiritual matters because I really think the Holy Spirit has given him the right understanding necessary to know my spiritual needs. I can't say that about just anyone.

Most lay people are not equipped to be spiritual directors. The only decent ones I've met are in Opus Dei and they've been in the Work for a long time. Opus Dei really likes the idea of men guiding men and women guiding women. If you're discerning religious life, a Sister might be a good spiritual director for you.