An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opinions?

Deus te Amat

Deus te Amat

Some of the orders that have caught my attention lately are:

the Nashville Dominicans [url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org"]here[/url] (Nashville TN)

the Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ [url="http://www.dljc.org"]here[/url] (Prayer Town TX)

The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist [url="http://www.sistersofmary.org/"]here[/url] (Ann Arbor MI)

The Religious Sisters of Mercy [url="http://www.rsmofalma.org/"]here[/url] (Alma MI)

actually... i dont really have an idea where i am called to... these are the orders (other than ann arbor) that i have come in contact with in the last month... if i had to chose right now it would be the Nashville Dominicans.... but i know i wont know until i visit, and thats not entirely possible for several years yet.

i was just curious as to your opinions of these orders, as i noticed that they aren't talked about often on this forum (except for the SMME).... and if you had any other suggestions for me to look into? i feel called to the apostolic life, rather than the cloistered...

thank you all so much for your comments! God bless!

the lords sheep

I've seen a lot of good things about a lot of these Sisters! Sounds like a great bunch to be discerning with!

Maybe you can see the SMME Sisters and the Alma Mercy Sisters at the same time?

Deus te Amat

oh i should mention that my parents dont approve and i wont be able to do any visiting until college :P

but thank you, the lords sheep, that is definately how i'd do it...

i've met several of the sisters from alma, because one of them is from my diocese and three came to attend an ordination mass i went to

the nashville dominicans and the DLJC i met just this last week at a camp i attended

i dont think i've met an SMME...

just to clarify :D

Laudate_Dominum

I have known young women who have joined the Nashville and Ann Arbor orders and I can vouch for their awesomeness. :)

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1307644' date='Jul 1 2007, 04:08 AM']I have known young women who have joined the Nashville and Ann Arbor orders and I can vouch for their awesomeness. :)[/quote]

hehe... yay! :D

i know they are awesome... i'm just not sure if i'm called there. I have found peace in God's will, but its annoying that its so hard to find where you belong. I belong in the Church; i've always known that, but where is my earthly body supposed to be........

the lords sheep

Can I say, Deus Te Amat, that I COMPLETELY understand! (about the parents anyway!)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1307647' date='Jul 1 2007, 03:13 AM']hehe... yay! :D

i know they are awesome... i'm just not sure if i'm called there. I have found peace in God's will, but its annoying that its so hard to find where you belong. I belong in the Church; i've always known that, but where is my earthly body supposed to be........[/quote]
My friend who joined the Nashville Dominicans was with them for over a year before discerning that she had a call to marriage (she now has a beautiful baby). My friend who joined the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist discerned that she was called to that order only after having visited for a time and after a period of uncertainty perhaps not dissimilar to your own.
I suppose my point is that it seems that most people only discover their true calling after they have acted on the desires that God has placed on their heart and for some the road that He has us walk is longer than others. But I think that in the end even the detours are a part of the plan that God has in forming us so long as we are walking on His path.

It sounds like you have some pretty clear impressions about where you may be called (apostolic life and such); the perennial advice about finding peace living in the present moment seems ever applicable.

I hope the doors are opened up for you beyond your expectations.

be_thou_my_vision

I highly recommend the Alma sisters. They have a very solid foundation and strong community life.

+

I suppose a lot will depend on the Franciscan or Dominican charism. Keep in mind, too, that the Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ are a charismatic community. When thinking about the Dominicans, it is prudent to ask, "Am I called to be a teacher?"

Blessings!
V

p.s. All great sisters!

Deus te Amat

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1307648' date='Jul 1 2007, 04:17 AM']Can I say, Deus Te Amat, that I COMPLETELY understand! (about the parents anyway!)[/quote]

i love hearing about how through prayer and perseverence, parents eventually change their opinion and accept their childs calling... I can already see changes in my parents attitudes. Its quite wonderful :D

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1307649' date='Jul 1 2007, 04:27 AM']My friend who joined the Nashville Dominicans was with them for over a year before discerning that she had a call to marriage (she now has a beautiful baby). My friend who joined the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist discerned that she was called to that order only after having visited for a time and after a period of uncertainty perhaps not dissimilar to your own.
I suppose my point is that it seems that most people only discover their true calling after they have acted on the desires that God has placed on their heart and for some the road that He has us walk is longer than others. But I think that in the end even the detours are a part of the plan that God has in forming us so long as we are walking on His path.

It sounds like you have some pretty clear impressions about where you may be called (apostolic life and such); the perennial advice about finding peace living in the present moment seems ever applicable.

I hope the doors are opened up for you beyond your expectations.[/quote]

Thank you so much for your kind response :)

I feel that I'm called to college before entering. Because God has blessed me with a high ACT score and AP test results.... so chances are that I will get scholarships for college. Also, if i major in something my parents approve of, they would pay for what isnt covered by scholarships.... and then i would avoid debt after college but still have a degree useful to the community... whichever it is...

So i figure that i wont know what community i am called to until sometime in college, although at the moment i feel extremely called to the Dominicans,.. because i love to teach others about God's word and His love... so idk lol we'll see :D

Deus te Amat

I must add, for the benefit of happynun and philosobrat, that i also feel a small attraction to the Salesians.... :P

where has happynuns been lately anyway?

good girl ;)

Well, if you like working with kids maybe the salesians would be a good idea.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1309337' date='Jul 2 2007, 11:04 AM']Thank you so much for your kind response :)

I feel that I'm called to college before entering. Because God has blessed me with a high ACT score and AP test results.... so chances are that I will get scholarships for college. Also, if i major in something my parents approve of, they would pay for what isnt covered by scholarships.... and then i would avoid debt after college but still have a degree useful to the community... whichever it is...

So i figure that i wont know what community i am called to until sometime in college, although at the moment i feel extremely called to the Dominicans,.. because i love to teach others about God's word and His love... so idk lol we'll see :D[/quote]

Good thinking, deus.

Let us know what happens!

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1309337' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:04 PM']Thank you so much for your kind response :)

So i figure that i wont know what community i am called to until sometime in college, although at the moment i feel extremely called to the Dominicans,.. because i love to teach others about God's word and His love... so idk lol we'll see :D[/quote]

+

FYI, Christendom College relieves the debt of their students that enter religious life.