An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Oecumenical Council Is The Greatest?

Resurrexi

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1308667' date='Jul 1 2007, 09:26 PM']Charity is an act of the intellect and will more than an act of the emotions. The properties of a spirit are an intellect and a will. The mind an agent of the human spirit/soul[/quote]
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Tommy. :)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1308667' date='Jul 1 2007, 11:26 PM']Charity is an act of the intellect and will more than an act of the emotions. The properties of a spirit are an intellect and a will. The mind an agent of the human spirit/soul[/quote]
But that charity takes place in a body that sees and feels and touches and loves.

kenrockthefirst

Constantinople I, wherein the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed was firmed up. The Creed is absolutely essential to what it means to be a Christian.

Constantinople I is a great council. I also like Chalcedon, Constantinople III, and Nicaea II.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1309590' date='Jul 2 2007, 03:18 PM']Constantinople I is a great council. I also like Chalcedon, Constantinople III, and Nicaea II.[/quote]

I recall chart you made on ByzCath about who accepts which councils as Oecumenical:

[quote]Twenty-one Ecumenical Councils
|
|
Romans
|
|
Latinized Eastern Catholics
|
|
Indifferent Eastern Catholics
|
|
De-Latinized Eastern Catholics
|
|
Orthodox
|
|
Seven Ecumenical Councils
[url="http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/232462/page/0/fpart/6"]http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.p.../page/0/fpart/6[/url][/quote]

Where do you stand on the chart?

Groo the Wanderer

Voted for Vat II

Because:

JPtG was there! :pope:

Sorry for the irreverence but this poll is almost as silly as some of dairygirl's polls. It is kinda like asking a parent which of his kid's if theri favorite and why.

All were important, all had a lasting impact. Some had different reasons, some were doctrinal, some were pastoral. Some instituted reforms, some announced dogma or doctrine.

None are unessential.....

and...it's 'Ecumenical' not 'Oecumenical' Might be closer to Latin, but we are speaking English, mano. <_<

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1311080' date='Jul 3 2007, 12:16 PM']Voted for Vat II

Because:
JPtG was there! :pope:
Sorry for the irreverence but this poll is almost as silly as some of dairygirl's polls. It is kinda like asking a parent which of his kid's if theri favorite and why.
All were important, all had a lasting impact. Some had different reasons, some were doctrinal, some were pastoral. Some instituted reforms, some announced dogma or doctrine.

None are unessential.....

and...it's 'Ecumenical' not 'Oecumenical' Might be closer to Latin, but we are speaking English, mano. <_<[/quote]
Oecumenical is a valid English rendering. I like it because it seems a bit more solemn.

Norseman82

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1311080' date='Jul 3 2007, 01:16 PM']and...it's 'Ecumenical' not 'Oecumenical' Might be closer to Latin, but we are speaking English, mano. <_<[/quote]

True, but keep in mind that there is the oalternate ouniverse of Cansia where there are only four or five oplanets in the osolar osystem....so I guess that there are different orules for not only oastronomy but also ospelling....

Anyway, it's really hard to say which council is the greatest. Many, if not most, were called to respond to crises in the Church. Personally, I probably hold the greatest affection for the councils of Nicaea I through Chalcedon because:

1) They show clear and early examples of the authority of the successors of the apostles settling questions that are not addressed directly in the bible or are in dispute
2) They settled important questions regarding Christology
3) Many claim that Mary is the mother of Jesus but not of God. That means that either Jesus is not God or Jesus is a "spriritual schizophrenic". Chalcedon addreses the "spiritual schizophrenic" issue with its declarations on the hypostatic union, leaving the naysayers to force the fact that they are denying Jesus' divinity.

Other than that, Trent was important because it was part of the "Counter-Reformation". It addressed important issues raised by the "Reformation", corrected abuses, and from what I understand, and established the seminary system. Lateran I is important to understand because it formalized the clerical celibacy rules currently in place in the Latin rite.

Vatican I was cut short due to the Italian reunification campaign, and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had been allowed to complete without outside interference.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1312544' date='Jul 4 2007, 03:08 PM']True, but keep in mind that there is the oalternate ouniverse of Cansia where there are only four or five oplanets in the osolar osystem....so I guess that there are different orules for not only oastronomy but also ospelling....

Anyway, it's really hard to say which council is the greatest. Many, if not most, were called to respond to crises in the Church. Personally, I probably hold the greatest affection for the councils of Nicaea I through Chalcedon because:

1) They show clear and early examples of the authority of the successors of the apostles settling questions that are not addressed directly in the bible or are in dispute
2) They settled important questions regarding Christology
3) Many claim that Mary is the mother of Jesus but not of God. That means that either Jesus is not God or Jesus is a "spriritual schizophrenic". Chalcedon addreses the "spiritual schizophrenic" issue with its declarations on the hypostatic union, leaving the naysayers to force the fact that they are denying Jesus' divinity.

Other than that, Trent was important because it was part of the "Counter-Reformation". It addressed important issues raised by the "Reformation", corrected abuses, and from what I understand, and established the seminary system. Lateran I is important to understand because it formalized the clerical celibacy rules currently in place in the Latin rite.

Vatican I was cut short due to the Italian reunification campaign, and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had been allowed to complete without outside interference.[/quote]

Cansia/Kansia is the word Kansas it Latin...

BTW, Apotheoun, I seriously do want to know how many Councils you consider Oecumenical since some Easterners don't consider all 21 Oecumenical

Edited by StThomasMore

Norseman82

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1312546' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:12 PM']Cansia/Kansia is the word Kansas it Latin...[/quote]

I figured that...I'm just giving you some razzing in good fun, kid :D: :D: