An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Oecumenical Council Is The Greatest?

Resurrexi

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

abercius24

I think Vatican I was the most important council. In that council, the Church solidly defined the boundaries and requirements of infallibility, both for the Pope, for the Bishops in Ecumenical Council, and for the Church as a whole. That council maginified the depth we should understand when reading about all other previous councils.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Luthien' post='1307993' date='Jul 1 2007, 02:12 PM']Ephesus is phly.[/quote]
That was me accidentally posting under my wife's screen name. My bad.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1308358' date='Jul 1 2007, 07:32 PM']That was me accidentally posting under my wife's screen name. My bad.[/quote]
:hehehe:

that's cute!

for me ... I don't know that I would have become Catholic without both Trent and Vatican 2 so those are high on my list, but now that I've been reading early church writing I am digging a lot of the early councils as well. They are all pretty awesome ... without any one of them the church would be much different. And I love it the way it is. :love: So picking the one that's greatest is impossible, imo. It's like asking which of the colors in the Mona Lisa is the best? They all work together to make a masterpiece ... none of them stands alone.

Edited by Terra Firma

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1308600' date='Jul 1 2007, 08:52 PM']:hehehe:

that's cute!
for me ... I don't know that I would have become Catholic without both Trent and Vatican 2 so those are high on my list, but now that I've been reading early church writing I am digging a lot of the early councils as well. They are all pretty awesome ... without any one of them the church would be much different. And I love it the way it is. :love: So picking the one that's greatest is impossible, imo. It's like asking which of the colors in the Mona Lisa is the best? They all work together to make a masterpiece ... none of them stands alone.[/quote]

But V2 wasn't even dogmatic... it was pastoral.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1308603' date='Jul 1 2007, 08:53 PM']But V2 wasn't even dogmatic... it was pastoral.[/quote]
Dude, YOU put it on the list. :rolleyes:

You never said I had to pick the best [i]dogmatic[/i] council. Pfft.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1308606' date='Jul 1 2007, 08:55 PM']Dude, YOU put it on the list. :rolleyes:

You never said I had to pick the best [i]dogmatic[/i] council. Pfft.[/quote]

I just don't understand how a pastoral council made you Catholic? I mean since it was pastoral no doctrine was developed...

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1308610' date='Jul 1 2007, 08:58 PM']I just don't understand how a pastoral council made you Catholic? I mean since it was pastoral no doctrine was developed...[/quote]
Well, my decision to become Catholic was not based on doctrine alone. It was an emotional decision as much as it was an intellectual decision.

Worship is something that should encompass your whole person -- mind, heart, soul, and body. Vatican 2 spoke to my heart. That was an important aspect of my conversion. Vital, in fact.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1308603' date='Jul 1 2007, 10:53 PM']But V2 wasn't even dogmatic... it was pastoral.[/quote]

It was pastoral and dogmatic and I certainly would not have stayed catholic without it.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1308621' date='Jul 1 2007, 09:05 PM']Well, my decision to become Catholic was not based on doctrine alone. It was an emotional decision as much as it was an intellectual decision.

Worship is something that should encompass your whole person -- mind, heart, soul, and body. Vatican 2 spoke to my heart. That was an important aspect of my conversion. Vital, in fact.[/quote]

I see my religion as more a thing of the intellect than a thing of the emotions... but I guess everyone has their own style of sandwich...

[quote]It was pastoral and dogmatic and I certainly would not have stayed catholic without it.[/quote]

I'm sad to hear that.

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1308655' date='Jul 1 2007, 09:21 PM']I see my religion as more a thing of the intellect than a thing of the emotions... but I guess everyone has their own style of sandwich...[/quote]
I see it as following the first and greatest commandment ... love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your body.

Separating out any of those divides the person and diminishes the capacity we have to love as God loves.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1308663' date='Jul 1 2007, 09:25 PM']I see it as following the first and greatest commandment ... love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your body.

Separating out any of those divides the person and diminishes the capacity we have to love as God loves.[/quote]

Charity is an act of the intellect and will more than an act of the emotions. The properties of a spirit are an intellect and a will. The mind an agent of the human spirit/soul

Edited by StThomasMore