An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Sisters Congregation Of St Mary Of New Orleans

jkaands

This is one of those 'modern' small websites of Dominican active orders which are decreasing in size. Too bad. They do great work, and y'all gotta read the terrific obits, espec the one about the [b]orphan train[/b]. There is this thing about Dominicans--they write great obits!! They give a great idea of what life was like in this country a Long Time Ago.

[b][url="http://dominican-sisters.net/stmarys/index.html"]http://dominican-sisters.net/stmarys/index.html[/url][/b]

[quote name='jkaands' post='1304471' date='Jun 28 2007, 04:04 PM']This is one of those 'modern' small websites of Dominican active orders which are decreasing in size. Too bad. They do great work, and y'all gotta read the terrific obits, espec the one about the [b]orphan train[/b]. There is this thing about Dominicans--they write great obits!! They give a great idea of what life was like in this country a Long Time Ago.[/quote]

+

"Great" might be a bit of an overstatement. With all due respect, sisters aren't lobbyists, or professional protestors, or a stand in for the sierra club. Anything about Saint Dominic on there? The Eucharist? Any saint for that matter? Prayer? Any reference to the Church or Catholicism at all? Sure, "preaching" is mentioned, as is the gospel in a generic way but... what does that mean when these sisters are proud of a nun, who blatantly and publicly defies the teachings of the Church and works against them (the "Dead Man Walking" nun). Sounds more like preaching feel good and activism to me. Not in all areas, mind you, but in enough.

I am sure they are very nice women and they have done a lot of "good work". The thing is, sisters aren't called to "work" they are called to be brides of Christ... it's a lot more than working. I think we all know why they aren't getting vocations and I'm not sure it's a bad thing that this kind of "religious life" isn't continuing. The Pope has talked extensively about the threat of activism and social work to the religious life and I sincerely hope that they take this into account as well as the directive for a "recognizable habit", and a foundation rooted in prayer and orthodoxy, if they hope to see a resurgence in their community. By wishing them the very best, this is what I wish for them.

I'll stick with the DSMME, the Nashville OP, the Hawthorne Dominicans, etc.

[quote name='Veritas' post='1304727' date='Jun 28 2007, 06:46 PM']+

"Great" might be a bit of an overstatement. With all due respect, sisters aren't lobbyists, or professional protestors, or a stand in for the sierra club. Anything about Saint Dominic on there? The Eucharist? Any saint for that matter? Prayer? Any reference to the Church or Catholicism at all? Sure, "preaching" is mentioned, as is the gospel in a generic way but... what does that mean when these sisters are proud of a nun, who blatantly and publicly defies the teachings of the Church and works against them (the "Dead Man Walking" nun). Sounds more like preaching feel good and activism to me. Not in all areas, mind you, but in enough.

I am sure they are very nice women and they have done a lot of "good work". The thing is, sisters aren't called to "work" they are called to be brides of Christ... it's a lot more than working. I think we all know why they aren't getting vocations and I'm not sure it's a bad thing that this kind of "religious life" isn't continuing. The Pope has talked extensively about the threat of activism and social work to the religious life and I sincerely hope that they take this into account as well as the directive for a "recognizable habit", and a foundation rooted in prayer and orthodoxy, if they hope to see a resurgence in their community. By wishing them the very best, this is what I wish for them.

I'll stick with the DSMME, the Nashville OP, the Hawthorne Dominicans, etc.[/quote]

No one is asking you, or anyone, to 'stick' with anyone.

Your response EMBODIES the negativism which is rampant throughout phatmass.

A bunch, any bunch, of the various sects of Methodists, Lutherans, even Baptists, would have more in common and more agreement among their varied groups than the philistinism I see spread throughout the comments on this and the other forums. You might as be separate sects within the "Catholic" church, tearing down recognized, ancient congregations, finding only 13 out of 230 Catholic colleges and universities suffiicently 'orthodox' to attend, searching for an 'orthodox' Dominican congregation, a sufficiently 'orthodox' church, bishop, PRIEST, service... Never have I seen such mud-slinging, even tho' it's sanitized by the overseers, as exists in this group.

I think that there are varied opinions about what a religious vocation means; you have YOURS and they have theirs.

MY post emphasized the very interesting obituaries and historical bits on this website, notably the story of the orphan trains, something which I suspect the younger members of this forum are not familiar with.

Your response was entirely uncalled-for.

Lioness For Christ

But Veritas is right... Religious aren't just social workers... Pope Benedict said the Priests in South America (Brazil I"m thinking of) shouldn't worry about saving the world--they have to be involved in the CHURCH......

Because being a bride of Christ involves in "helping Him" in His Work--the Church, which He laid His life down for.

I like the sketch of their cloistered school at St Mary's, Cabra. Lovely buildings, wish our modern architects were more willing to build with style.

[quote name='jkaands' post='1304792' date='Jun 28 2007, 09:02 PM']No one is asking you, or anyone, to 'stick' with anyone.

Your response EMBODIES the negativism which is rampant throughout phatmass.

A bunch, any bunch, of the various sects of Methodists, Lutherans, even Baptists, would have more in common and more agreement among their varied groups than the philistinism I see spread throughout the comments on this and the other forums. You might as be separate sects within the "Catholic" church, tearing down recognized, ancient congregations, finding only 13 out of 230 Catholic colleges and universities suffiicently 'orthodox' to attend, searching for an 'orthodox' Dominican congregation, a sufficiently 'orthodox' church, bishop, PRIEST, service... Never have I seen such mud-slinging, even tho' it's sanitized by the overseers, as exists in this group.

I think that there are varied opinions about what a religious vocation means; you have YOURS and they have theirs.

MY post emphasized the very interesting obituaries and historical bits on this website, notably the story of the orphan trains, something which I suspect the younger members of this forum are not familiar with.

Your response was entirely uncalled-for.[/quote]

+

You raise many points.

First: It is appropriate to address the pro's and con's of a group of religious, their philosophy, and liefstyle when it is posted in VOCATION Station. Especially, when one advocates their "good work" and states "...decreasing in size. Too bad." It's proper and in fact prudent -I daresay we have a responsibility- to ask, "Is it really? Is that true?"

Second: Varied opinions? Let's not get into relativism here: All things are not equal. What matters is what the Church has said and we do well to remember that. If She isn't the authority on religious life, then who is? Are you or I somehow more qualified? She is our sure guide. Furthermore, there ISN't division in Catholicism. There is only division among dissenters. If we want to increase unity, we must work and pray against our own dissent. If I say or believe something against Church teaching in it's authoritative areas, I need to change.

Third: No one is "tearing down" recognized, ancient, congregations. I love and honor authentic Dominican life, which is why I honor: The Eucharist, the Rosary, Saint Dominic, veritas, authentic theology, authentic philosophy, etc. It is why I respect communities that do the same.

Fourth: Being prudent about religious communities and schools isn't a bad thing, and it's not being negative -it's just being logical and following the Scriptures.. It's recognizing the very real reality of sin and seeking to grow in holiness. Christ comes first. That means, holiness comes first because to be Holy is to be pleasing to Christ and He deserves it. There are so many passages in the Scriptures, which refer to this. We love the sinner, we even eat with the sinner, but, we do not model ourselves on the sinner and we do not go to the sinner to be taught (which is what happens in religious life and in colleges).

Hope this helps.
God Bless You,
V

"Because being a bride of Christ involves in "helping Him" in His Work--the Church, which He laid His life down for."

I have to wonder why Veritas has such a narrow view of what constitues working for the Church that social work and working to change unjust systems would not be considered working for the Body of Christ (which is one of the definitions of the church). Social workers often are those who directly encounter the distressing face of Christ in the very poor, the addicted, the homeless, and the mentally ill- without litmus tests of their "orthodoxy." And if some people, including vowed religious, are not willing to get out there and protest how might the death penalty be eliminated? What about the Sisters of Life and the DMME's attending pro-life rallies, which is a certainly a form of social activism?

I thought Jesus laid down his life for the redemption of all human kind, not to establish an institution. And weren't his incarnation and life, with its demonstrable care for the outcast, poor and those rejected/condemned by the religious authorities of the day, also a part of his redemptive work and worthy to be imitated, especially by those consecrated to live lives of allegience to Christ.

I wholeheartedly agree that there is an atmosphere on phatmass of sneering down at religious congregations who made changes after Vatican II that some people now think went too far. But have you walked in their shoes? Do you know what it was like for them to be asked to evaluate and update every aspect of their lives after having been taught in their formation to just obey the Mother Superior and not think for themselves? These women struggled and prayed and discerned and did their best with the resources and gifts they had to respond to will of the church- and now they get judged as having gone too far. Anyone read the Gospel "judge not that ye be not judged"? Or isn't that in the Catechism?

[quote name='Graciela' post='1304953' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:02 AM']"Because being a bride of Christ involves in "helping Him" in His Work--the Church, which He laid His life down for."

I have to wonder why Veritas has such a narrow view of what constitues working for the Church that social work and working to change unjust systems would not be considered working for the Body of Christ (which is one of the definitions of the church). Social workers often are those who directly encounter the distressing face of Christ in the very poor, the addicted, the homeless, and the mentally ill- without litmus tests of their "orthodoxy." And if some people, including vowed religious, are not willing to get out there and protest how might the death penalty be eliminated? What about the Sisters of Life and the DMME's attending pro-life rallies, which is a certainly a form of social activism?

I thought Jesus laid down his life for the redemption of all human kind, not to establish an institution. And weren't his incarnation and life, with its demonstrable care for the outcast, poor and those rejected/condemned by the religious authorities of the day, also a part of his redemptive work and worthy to be imitated, especially by those consecrated to live lives of allegience to Christ.

I wholeheartedly agree that there is an atmosphere on phatmass of sneering down at religious congregations who made changes after Vatican II that some people now think went too far. But have you walked in their shoes? Do you know what it was like for them to be asked to evaluate and update every aspect of their lives after having been taught in their formation to just obey the Mother Superior and not think for themselves? These women struggled and prayed and discerned and did their best with the resources and gifts they had to respond to will of the church- and now they get judged as having gone too far. Anyone read the Gospel "judge not that ye be not judged"? Or isn't that in the Catechism?[/quote]

+

Ah yes, "judge not, lest ye be judged" refers to the state of someone's soul. No one has said anyone else is going to hell. However, it is perfectly just to judge actions as good or bad, wise or imprudent. EVERYONE does it all the time. In fact, your post is full those kinds of "judgements" -they are a necessary part of life. Please don't equate the two, they are very different.

Again, what looks like "sneering down" is probably a legitimate preference based on the authority of the Church. If you don't care for it, don't shoot the messenger. Instead, read the documents. Perhaps start with Vita Consecrata.

Again, I specifically said that they DO do some "good work" e.g. caring for the homeless, mentally ill, addicted, poor, etc. The Missionaries of Charity are probably my favorite sisters. Why? Because they do all of this for JESUS and it is rooted in prayer, the Eucharist, and obedience to the Church. When religious do it other, that is the problem. Again, I said, "lobbyists, or professional protestors, or a stand in for the sierra club". Not the items you mentioned. The two lists are very different kinds of work. In conjunction, the sisters you mention, who occassionally attend protests, are not protestors by profession. That is the kind of social activism Pope Benedict has cautioned us and them about. I should find that text...

Edited by Veritas

It's enough to note that the "Social Justice" communities are not attracting many vocations.

The "traditional" communities (including, but not limited to, the more "strict" cloistered and active groups) are booming, OTOH.

I imagine that, at the end of the day, the orientation of the Apostolate is the most important factor.

My opinion: The Nashville Dominicans are a more powerful witness than those three Dominican Sisters who got jailed for infiltrating an ICBM field a couple of years ago.

Edited by MichaelF

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Maggie' post='1304882' date='Jun 28 2007, 09:53 PM']I like the sketch of their cloistered school at St Mary's, Cabra. Lovely buildings, wish our modern architects were more willing to build with style.[/quote]
I agree... I think it's beautiful!