An Old School Catholic Message Board

Praying For Purgatory?

kujo

[quote name='Budge' post='1304431' date='Jun 28 2007, 03:10 PM']Oh come on what are you trying to pass off on me now?

ONE OF YOUR SAINTS: ST CATHERINE GENOA:

[url="http://www.theworkofgod.org/saints/Lives/CatGenoa.htm"]SAINT SAYS DIFFERENT[/url]
Fire and burning. NOW WHAT KIND OF LOVING GOD AFTER A HUMAN BEING SUFFERS A HORRIBLE DEATH, SENDS HIS CHILD TO A PLACE LIKE THIS? None of us humans would even send our pet dog to this place nonetheless a child. Hell is different. You folks are trying to teach that God sends his children to be BURNED.
[url="http://pwhs-mfi.org/read_me/what_purgatory.htm"]http://pwhs-mfi.org/read_me/what_purgatory.htm[/url]

No thanks, I know God and I know He is not sending me as His adopted Child to that terrible place, He will never forsake or leave me.

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/acatholiclife/purgatory.jpg[/img]

the queen of heaven watches them burn...

{sick}[/quote]

You don't understand what we believe. At least try to see where we are coming from? beause we can see your logic even if we believe it faulty.

Of course we don't believe God is unmerciful and hating. We always talk about love on this phorum so why wouldnt we believe there was a reason for purgatory? the bible says "nothing unclean shall enter heaven". is any one of us sinless? we need purification, and if we aren't sinless at death we cannot enter heaven. that is exactly why our God out of MERCY sends us to purgatory instead of hell. in purgatory you are seperate from God, this is true. the only difference between purgatory and hell is hope. HOPE is one of the theological virtues. in purgatory you have hope because you are destined from heaven and that makes it completely worthwhile.

We don't believe in a hateful God and don't accuse us of such. We believe that it is just because of God's mercy that he sends us to purgatory. His ways are so beyond our ways how can you pretend to say "God's mind works just like mine"? God doesn't enjoy sending us to purgatory anymore than we would enjoy being there. Neither does God enjoy suffering on earth, but he allows that, doesnt he? God does not prevent pain if that pain is for your greater good. for most people if they do not suffer in purgatory they will burn in hell. that is why they suffer in purgatory instead. because God loves us and is merciful.

I know a few Catholics who reject Purgatory, all have told me that no loving God would have Purgaotry and tell me they do not believe in it, that it was a man-made thing for the Medieval church to make money and its not in the Bible. I respect those folks for thinking things through. So why not follow their lead and THINK it through?Dont Take my word for it, and ask yourserlf if Christ's sacrifice on the cross was sufficient for sin, what need for PURGATORY and God sending to you such a horrible place none of us would send our dog to suffer in.

One is supposed to be purified through Jesus Christ and your sins purged via HIM

Why dont you folks believe that?

Hbr 1:3 Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power,[b] when he had by himself purged our sins[/b], sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

ll[quote]. in purgatory you are seperate from God, this is true[/quote].

So what about the promise of Hebrews 13:5
[quote]the only difference between purgatory and hell is hope. HOPE is one of the theological virtues. in purgatory you have hope because you are destined from heaven and that makes it completely worthwhile.[/quote]

I believe that the devil is the father of lies, and one diabolical lie beyond even human belief would be allowing people in hell to think one day they would "get out"

Purgatory is NOT in the BIble, it is a man-made invention.

Edited by Budge

"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church..." -Gal. 1:24

We do need to make right what we have done wrong. Our sins are forgivable because of Christ's death. They are not automatically forgiven. Even Christ speaks of the "sin against hte Holy Spirit" which is unforgivable, and also he gives his apostles power to forgive sin. "what you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven....". obviously then our sins are not forgiven simply because Christ died. again, they CAN be forgiven because he died, and the gates of heaven have been opened because of his resurrection, but his death in itself does not forgive our sins.

of course we believe that we are forgiven by Jesus. purgatory purifies in us what was made wrong by us. God grants us that grace. he allows us to be perfected by his love before we spend eternity with him. why would you want to spend eternity imperfect? Christ commands "be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect".

Catholics who reject purgatory are not in line with Catholic teaching and cannot be looked to as a source of what catholics can/cannot believe. they should only be corrected, not applauded.

Proverbs 17
3 As silver is tried by fire, and gold in the furnace: so the Lord trieth the hearts.

2 Ecclesiasticus 7
37 A gift hath grace in the sight of all the living, and restrain not grace from the dead.

3 Malachi 3
2 And who shall be able to think of the day of his coming? And who shall stand to see him? For he is like a refining fire, and like the fuller's herb: 3 And he shall sit refining and cleansing the silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and shall refine them as gold, and as silver, and they shall offer sacrifices to the Lord in justice.

4 Malachi 7
8 Rejoice not, thou, my enemy, over me, because I am fallen: I shall arise, when I sit in darkness, the Lord is my light. 9 I will bear the wrath of the Lord, because I have sinned against him; until he judge my cause and execute judgment for me: he will bring me forth into the light, I shall behold his justice.

5 Zacharias 9
11Thou also by the blood of thy testament hast sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit, wherein is no water.

6 2 Machabees 12
43 And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection, 44 (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,) 45 And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. 46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

7 Matthew 5
25 Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. 26 Amen I say to thee, thou shalt not go out from thence till thou repay the last farthing.

8 Matthew 12
32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

9 Matthew 18
34 And his lord being angry, delivered him to the torturers until he paid all the debt. 35 So also shall my heavenly Father do to you, if you forgive not every one his brother from your hearts.

10 Luke 12
47 And that servant who knew the will of his lord, and prepared not himself, and did not according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.

11 1 Corinthians 3
15 If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

12 1 Corinthians 15
29 Otherwise what shall they do that are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not again at all? why are they then baptized for them?

13 Philippians 2
10 That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth:

14 1 Peter 3
19 In which also coming he preached to those spirits that were in prison:

15 Revelation 21
27 There shall not enter into it any thing defiled, or that worketh abomination or maketh a lie, but they that are written in the book of life of the Lamb.

1 John 3:2-3
2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears,[a]we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

Edited by prose

saint_wannabe

purgatory isn't hell its basically a waiting place, where someone is purified. only people who are really pure and holy can enter heaven but some of us tho we may believe in God still sin. right?

i wanna say something else about confession and purgatory but im afraid it might start a riot.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Roots_of_Purgatory.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/Roots_of_Purgatory.asp[/url]

The fact that this was handed down to us, by the Church Fathers, across 2000 years, speaks for itself.

Edited by MichaelF

[quote name='MichaelF' post='1304728' date='Jun 28 2007, 07:46 PM'][url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Roots_of_Purgatory.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/Roots_of_Purgatory.asp[/url]

The fact that this was handed down to us, by the Church Fathers, across 2000 years, speaks for itself.[/quote]

budge doesnt trust old people....

teasing.....

The apostles warned of early deceivers....

so their claim to fame based on antiquity doesnt cut it.

Lord Philip

[quote name='Budge' post='1305368' date='Jun 29 2007, 08:45 AM']The apostles warned of early deceivers....

so their claim to fame based on antiquity doesnt cut it.[/quote]

But Budge,

This was the faith of the entire Church, and these are the very people that handed us the canon of Scripture, the fully developed doctrine of the Trinity, and that of the Hypostatic Union. These were bishops who were fighting [i]against[/i] heresy.

If all these men were deceivers, where was the real Church? Perhaps hidden up somewhere in Siberia? Perhaps on top of Mt. Everest?

Tell me, Budge, on what grounds do you accept the canon of Scripture from these men as infallible, and then all of a sudden say they are "deceivers"?

I need a firm basis, Budge. I have heard Protestants like you dodge this question by appealing everything from the "Whore of Babylon" nightmare to the "tingly feeling in their belly" when they read the Bible. I need an answer: apart form the Catholic Church, on what basis do you say the New Testament Canon is infallible? Please answer the question directly. Please do not dodge the issue here. I need Protestant grounds for an INFALLIBLE canon, and remember, we have to be able to KNOW it is infallible.

I look forward to your response.

God bless,

Philip

Why do you always ignore my posts Budge? I just gave you almost a full page of JUST Bible quote supporting purgatory....

Can you explain all of them away?

If we are going to just use the Bible as reference, please open yours and find me all the verses that speak against all of these:

[quote]Proverbs 17
3 As silver is tried by fire, and gold in the furnace: so the Lord trieth the hearts.

2 Ecclesiasticus 7
37 A gift hath grace in the sight of all the living, and restrain not grace from the dead.

3 Malachi 3
2 And who shall be able to think of the day of his coming? And who shall stand to see him? For he is like a refining fire, and like the fuller's herb: 3 And he shall sit refining and cleansing the silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and shall refine them as gold, and as silver, and they shall offer sacrifices to the Lord in justice.

4 Malachi 7
8 Rejoice not, thou, my enemy, over me, because I am fallen: I shall arise, when I sit in darkness, the Lord is my light. 9 I will bear the wrath of the Lord, because I have sinned against him; until he judge my cause and execute judgment for me: he will bring me forth into the light, I shall behold his justice.

5 Zacharias 9
11Thou also by the blood of thy testament hast sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit, wherein is no water.

6 2 Machabees 12
43 And making a gathering, he sent twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection, 44 (For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,) 45 And because he considered that they who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. 46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

7 Matthew 5
25 Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. 26 Amen I say to thee, thou shalt not go out from thence till thou repay the last farthing.

8 Matthew 12
32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

9 Matthew 18
34 And his lord being angry, delivered him to the torturers until he paid all the debt. 35 So also shall my heavenly Father do to you, if you forgive not every one his brother from your hearts.

10 Luke 12
47 And that servant who knew the will of his lord, and prepared not himself, and did not according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.

11 1 Corinthians 3
15 If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

12 1 Corinthians 15
29 Otherwise what shall they do that are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not again at all? why are they then baptized for them?

13 Philippians 2
10 That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth:

14 1 Peter 3

15 Revelation 21
27 There shall not enter into it any thing defiled, or that worketh abomination or maketh a lie, but they that are written in the book of life of the Lamb.

2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears,[a]we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.[/quote]

My comfrimation class teachers explained this really well.
We should all strive for Heaven, most of us will miss our target and land in Purgatory.
But if we strive for Purgatory what happens if we dont make it there then we cant go up so then we just go down to Hell.

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='prose' post='1305737' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:40 PM']Why do you always ignore my posts Budge? I just gave you almost a full page of JUST Bible quote supporting purgatory....

Can you explain all of them away?

If we are going to just use the Bible as reference, please open yours and find me all the verses that speak against all of these:[/quote]

Prose,

Hello, I have been lurking and I do know Budge from other forums. You did provide scripture that speaks of another place that is inbetween a place of PURIFYING. In HEll there is no NEED of PURIFYING. I too am waiting for Budge to explain these verses.....

Proverbs 17

2 Ecclesiasticus 7

3 Malachi 3

4 Malachi 7

5 Zacharias 9

6 2 Machabees 12

7 Matthew 5

8 Matthew 12

9 Matthew 18

10 Luke 12

11 1 Corinthians 3

12 1 Corinthians 15

13 Philippians 2

14 1 Peter 3

15 Revelation 21

2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears,[a]we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

Here is another..

Matthew 12
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost,[b] it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.[/b]

There is no room for forgiveness in Hell. Without purgatory, why would we need to be forgiven in the world to come.....

A ha, there is another place.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by "Kyrie eleison"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sola Roma

prose,

excellent post. excellent. i have been lurking for a while too like kyrie (in fact i have read posts here at phat mass for years but just never got an account, just got free wallpaper and read posts) but i have to say that you have made an excellent stand for the church here on purgatory. there isn't a way for budge to refute these unless it's with a single scripture that is vague and then followed by his opinion of how it covers the issue. that's the usual protestant form. i know cause i used to be one.

anyway, just givin you props. i don't know that budge will be able to reply. nor will there be a reply on an infallible source for scripture outside the church. won't happen. and we all know it. protestants don't realize what they are doing by trying to refute the church with the very book she gave them. they take the scriptures to be infallible by proxy, and them slap the church in the face with it declaring her wrong.

how crazy.

props.

heshmafluff

[quote]there isn't a way for budge to refute these unless it's with a single scripture that is vague and then followed by his opinion of how it covers the issue. that's the usual protestant form. i know cause i used to be one.[/quote]

Funny...that's how most protestants that I know describe Catholic responses...

I would just like to point out the Metaphor factor. Like and As appear a lot in there...in fact, every one of them that mentions fire or flame in any way does so using like or as. In the English language, that means that every one of them is in fact an example. So either the bible needs to be rewritten, or those are more or less irrelevant to this thread.

As for number 13, Philippians 2, when you read it you find Heaven mentioned, and Hell mentioned, and Earth mentioned, but nothing else at all. No purgatory there.

As for the infallible...not so sure. Working on finding out though and will get back to you on it. Thats my two cents...if anyone actually studies this stuff who can go into detail, instead of finding it on the fly late at night, I'm interested to hear both sides.

Ok.....first off, im not saying i dont believe in purgatory....actually the idea is quite comforting to me because my best friends brother died in a car accident and he had fallen deeply away from the faith....although he was baptised as a catholic......so purgatory is comforting for me because it means that he would not be sent to hell and would be able to go to a place that would purge him of his sin before entering into heaven....so on that note i am hopefull of purgatory and can see its purpouse totally.......

Now on the other note though......if purgatory does exist and it its a place of great torment similar to hell but with HOPE which hell does not offer.....why would it be necessary for Jesus Christ to come to earth and be beaten and die a horrific death and die on a cross ?? If God had set a place aside like hell where christians could go to purge out their sins, then why would Jesus have to also pay for all our sins on the cross and die the violent death he did ?? That doesnt make sence to me.......Even in the old testement God had sons and daughters that he loved very much who he loved and protected.....He would never send these people to hell......So if a place like this existed why not send the sons and daughters of the old testment to purgatory to be purged and cleansed of their sins ?? Therefore not makeing it necessary for his perfect and sinless son to be beaten and hung on a cross..... And i remember one story in the old testement where God raised up one indivigual before he even died because he was so pleased with him and loved him so much........So in essence this man was approved by God and no sacrifice for his sin was necessary......... (this is what i took from the story, i could be way off ) i ussually am lol

So again......I know God is all loveing and all pure.....so it would make no sence to me why he would then send his son to die the death that he did if when we died we could go to purgatory and pay for the sins ourself till they were purged out and we were made totally pure...... I thought the whole point of Christ suffering and dieing on the cross the way he did was so that he would pay for sins so we could stand before God and not be seen for the sins we committed...but be seen pure and blameless in Christ ???? It troubles me because even before Jesus went to the cross he said that if there was anyway God could stop him from going to the cross that he was all for it....But him being the very deffinition of LOVE he said let my will not be done but the Fathers will in Heaven.....God bless his soul that we know him..............

It just seems to me that purgatory makes the cross look like that it was something that didnt necessarily have to be done ??? because if when we die we can go to a place of torment and suffering to pay for our sin, then why would it be necessary for God's son to suffer the way he did ??? I mean I really wish Jesus didnt have to die the way he did....I wish we could all go to purgatory and pay for our sins without Christ ever haveing to shed his innocent blood for humans sins.......its awful....its the only part of christianity that really makes me wonder sometimes....and in no way am i doubting what he had to do or am I questioning the Good GOD Above.....Ive done that in the past and im done....I really want Gods friendship and peace of mind....which he gives me.....and I know that i deserve purgatory and will probally end up there when i die..........BUT AGAIN, JESUS CHRIST was king of all before he came here and would have been even if didnt come ( is this correct ???) so again.......if Christ dieing on the cross to make us acceptable and blameless before God was the whole point of it, why must one suffer torment similar to hell in purgatory ???

It just makes it seem as if Jesus suffered pain the he shouldnt have had to suffer.........I mean, if this place exist....why not Jesus Christ come here and do the same things he did and be ressurected but without dieing on the cross the way he did ??? Again this is not attempted in no way to question God or His son whom I love both dearly....its just honest thoughts from my heart.........peace and Godbless

Edited by Guest