An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tattoo's/convent

chelsea

I have three tatoo's and I don't even give them a second thought. I had them done because I liked them and they were part of my life at the time and my journey. I am a postulant in a religious community and they are not a problem Actually they never asked and I never thought to mention them but recently I scratched my upper arm and one was seen by my novice mistress, she was intrigued and liked it so I showed her the one on my leg - a lotus flower from when i was exploring Buddhism - even this isn't an issue. Before i entered people said things like - what will people think when yo are an old lady? I answered - they will think i wasn't always old but was young once and had a life, i think i will have more problems than a tatoo to think about then - like incontinence ( I was a nurse before entering).
I think tatoo's are so much part of life now that they are not a big deal, and honestly, we weren't all born nuns/monks/priests etc they are part of us and our growing process, enjoy them, i enjoy mine.
Stacey.

Amen! All part of the journey, I agree. One shouldn't be judged because of a tatoo or two. Some of the most memorable Saints have had things in their pasts and look, they are Saints! My vocation director loves my tats... :)

fides quarens intellectum

as a postulant in a traditional community, i was asked to cover the tattoo on my ankle with bandaids whenever we were ministering to teens. it was no problem.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

one of my brother friars in community has a tattoo that he got years back. To tell you the truth, when i was younger, I was going to be a tattoo artist, and I was going to cover my arms and back in filthy dirty and obscene demonic tattoos. Well I never got one to this day. But I kid you not a day hasnt gone by even since I professed my first vows, to get a tattoo.
I was talking with one of our former vocation directors, and he told me a story from one of his sister friends who was a vocation directress. The discerner asked the very same question. So that vocation directress told he discerner that she would have to see it. It didnt occur to her that the tattoo may have been in an intimate spot.
I get the impression that it is not encouraged for members of religious communities to get tattoos. However there is a great tendancy toward understanding and accepting. We know that we are a new creation in Christ. I have had the experience of meeting with various religious who have done things before entering that may have gotten them kicked out if they did them now. But there is a courage to be true to their calling now. I dont kno if that makes any sense.
SHALOM

Edited by MC IMaGiNaZUN