An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tattoo's/convent

chelsea

AlterDominicus

Yeah, like I would get a tattoo of the logo on the SMME's chapel floor on my back, or maybe the SMME Community logo lol.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1290944' date='Jun 8 2007, 01:42 PM']And to add my 2 cents ... I know someone who would cut her wrists and mark herself. God touched her and long story short now she's in a convent (when I last saw her she was a postulant). She mentioned at one point that she was embarrassed that people could see what she used to do ... but added that what the sisters told her was that it IS part of her history and that she shouldn't be ashamed of it, but proud of what the Lord has accomplished and got her out of.[/quote]

i think that's completely different from a tattoo...

the lords sheep

My friend is a diocesan seminarian, and he has one on his forearm. I know it's a little different b/c the diocese is not as strict as some convents, but for them it really isn't a huge problem. He (the seminarian) says his Bishop is ok with it for now, but that he (seminarian) wishes it weren't there because he feels like he'll have to wear long sleeves most of the time. I guess if you are in an order that wears the short sleeve habits in the summer maybe it'd be more of a problem. I would ask a Sister this. Maybe Sr. Mary Catherine will weigh in.

Also... I wonder if this would be different for a missionary order. I know there would be some parts of the world were tattoos on women, and especially on women religious, would not be acceptable (also bearing in mind that symbols mean different things in different cultures)

My diocese has ordained several men to the priesthood and permanent diaconate who have tattoos (one of them looking like that weird barbed wire thing Pam Anderson has...) and it doesn't seem to be an impediment to Orders here. Heck, our associate director for diaconal formation has one!

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1291609' date='Jun 10 2007, 12:28 AM']My diocese has ordained several men to the priesthood and permanent diaconate who have tattoos (one of them looking like that weird barbed wire thing Pam Anderson has...) and it doesn't seem to be an impediment to Orders here. Heck, our associate director for diaconal formation has one![/quote]

I heard of a seminarian who was told to grow a beard because of a "Barbara" tatooed on his cheek. I think he left the priesthood.

Blessings,
Gemma

One of my parish priests has two tattoo's...a Jesus fish on his left forearm and a Sacred Heart on his wrist.

I know that diocesan priests can because they're a little more lax on the rules.

Thanks for all the replies... it seems to not be a problem, but i think if i DO end up getting a tattoo, I'll talk to all the orders that i've looked at and make sure its kosher.

<3+

[quote name='chelsea' post='1291805' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:16 AM']One of my parish priests has two tattoo's...a Jesus fish on his left forearm and a Sacred Heart on his wrist.

I know that diocesan priests can because they're a little more lax on the rules.

Thanks for all the replies... it seems to not be a problem, but i think if i DO end up getting a tattoo, I'll talk to all the orders that i've looked at and make sure its kosher.

<3+[/quote]

+

I'm not going to start a discussion or a debate, but I would really encourage you to look into what the Church has said historically about tattoing and the body as gift from God before you make a decision. What religious communities decide, should be based in a theology of the body. Therefore, it makes sense to look at this from God's perspective as addressed in the Church, not just what you, we, or a particular community may or may not have thought about in context of a "tattoo".

[quote name='Veritas' post='1292489' date='Jun 10 2007, 09:24 PM']+

I'm not going to start a discussion or a debate, but I would really encourage you to look into what the Church has said historically about tattoing and the body as gift from God before you make a decision. What religious communities decide, should be based in a theology of the body. [b]Therefore, it makes sense to look at this from God's perspective[/b] as addressed in the Church, [b]not[/b] just what you, we, or [b]a particular community may or may not have thought about in context of a "tattoo".[/b][/quote]
amen..amen..amen

[quote name='Veritas' post='1292489' date='Jun 11 2007, 12:24 AM']+

I'm not going to start a discussion or a debate, but I would really encourage you to look into what the Church has said historically about tattoing and the body as gift from God before you make a decision. What religious communities decide, should be based in a theology of the body. Therefore, it makes sense to look at this from God's perspective as addressed in the Church, not just what you, we, or a particular community may or may not have thought about in context of a "tattoo".[/quote]

the Church has never made an official statement about tattoo's, so i dont know how the Church "historically" has viewed tattoo's. You can say "the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit" and yes, its in the Bible. Read it in context: its talking about premarital sex. And even if you take it out of context, i would reply, its my temple and I'll decorate it how i please. I'm not gonna run around and get demons and evil plastered all over me. A St. Michael, a Sacred Heart, and maybe a little Blessed Mother. But no, I'm not gonna cover my entire body with horrible images.

Besides, this is all hypothetical.

[quote name='chelsea' post='1292641' date='Jun 11 2007, 06:43 AM']the Church has never made an official statement about tattoo's, so i dont know how the Church "historically" has viewed tattoo's. You can say "the body is a temple of the Holy Spirit" and yes, its in the Bible. Read it in context: its talking about premarital sex. And even if you take it out of context, i would reply, its my temple and I'll decorate it how i please. I'm not gonna run around and get demons and evil plastered all over me. A St. Michael, a Sacred Heart, and maybe a little Blessed Mother. But no, I'm not gonna cover my entire body with horrible images.

Besides, this is all hypothetical.[/quote]
my seminarian friend used to smoke more than a pack a day, saying he was incensing his body the temple!!!!
-
one has to consider what the significance(sign/and symbol) regardless of the image, that the World sees such things today..
as well the 'context' of premarital sex is a starting point ..that trickles down...
cause, actually the Church speaks in various ways,through time,forming ones conscience, not only by Her singular proclamations... from early Church Fathers saying Christian women should not adorn themselves with hair-coloring and jewelry, not draw attention to yourselves etc...and book Leviticus on tattoos and slavery to Idols/world etc etc..Theology of the Body in context..etc ,that ones actions first, then words, and even dress should proclaim what we believe, in modesty hidden with God in Christ.
anyways... here is a good Blog of British Priest post,on said subject of tattooing -the comments after are interesting too
Glory to Jesus Christ!
[url="http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2007/04/i-just-walked-into-lamp-post.html"]http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2007/04/i...-lamp-post.html[/url]

Edited by EJames

[quote name='chelsea' post='1292641' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:43 AM']And even if you take it out of context, i would reply, its my temple and I'll decorate it how i please.[/quote]

+

No. Actually, one's body belongs to Christ.

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='Veritas' post='1292489' date='Jun 11 2007, 12:24 AM']+

I'm not going to start a discussion or a debate, but I would really encourage you to look into what the Church has said historically about tattoing and the body as gift from God before you make a decision. What religious communities decide, should be based in a theology of the body. Therefore, it makes sense to look at this from God's perspective as addressed in the Church, not just what you, we, or a particular community may or may not have thought about in context of a "tattoo".[/quote]

Me too, No debate from my side, just experience. Hope this helps. Also, think of age. I have 4 tattoos, with one that does show. I am a mother of 3 [PTA mom] and must be careful to present a good image for my children. This mean does my pant leg pull up too much when I sit? Will the sock fall down so that others can see? Children have sensitive feelings, and at certain times in their lives these things DO matter. I don't care to wear short skirts, but even well below the knee skirts don't cut it. The skirt I wear has to be down to the floor. I don't mind the skirt length anymore and really do like it now. But if I hadn't been foolish and gotten the big honking tattoo, none of this would have ever been an issue.

Also extremely important: If you are on the bone marrow registry and get a tattoo you have to wait [and I mean months] before you can give your marrow to the ill person. This is why one of mine was never finished. I couldn't imagine doing that to someone who needed my marrow to live.

Too, just look at it from a very practical physical side: That cute tattoo will go south with the rest of the body. Time will not be denied.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1291121' date='Jun 8 2007, 07:47 PM']We were never asked about tattoos, piercings and such on our application. I guess as long as it is not something visible it is not a big deal. I know someone entering a male order and he has a tattoo near his ankle and they told him its ok... so I guess if you want to get one it would probably be best to have it somewhere where it will not be super visible and of an image that will not be something you regret later on. :) I wish I could get a tattoo... lol.[/quote]

I got a trinitarian tattoo, It is pretty cool looking. Im glad that the vocations director saud that I could keep it. It is on my left calf, and is covered while wearing pants.
:bluesbrother:

[quote name='Veritas' post='1292489' date='Jun 10 2007, 11:24 PM']+

That's exactly what I was thinking. Some things shouldn't be decided on a group of Catholics' opinion (i.e., here at Phatmass). We have to look at what is already defined by the Magisterium.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1291165' date='Jun 8 2007, 10:12 PM']i think that's completely different from a tattoo...[/quote]

(Again sorry for not posting sooner ... haven't been reading as much lately).

Actually it is but it isn't the same as a tattoo (my original post mentioned someone who marked herself/slashed herself). Once someone decides to put a tattoo on its difficult to put off ... and again may be a testament to a person's past. That was the point I was trying to make.

I (personally) don't think getting a tattoo is a good idea for someone who is considering religious life. But if it has been done then I don't necessarily think it will be a hinderance to being a religious. Its something that would need to be discussed with a community of course.