An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tattoo's/convent

chelsea

Ok this is going to sound really stupid, but ive been wondering this lately.

If a woman wants to enter an order of nuns, is she allowed to have tattoos? Like, for example. If i get a tattoo of St. Michael on my forearm when I'm in college, and then i find that my vocation is to the convent, will i not be allowed in because of my tattoo?

This is hypothetical by the way. And not a debate on whether or not tattoo's are ok. Just a question.

ofpheritup

[quote name='chelsea' post='1290825' date='Jun 8 2007, 09:45 AM']Ok this is going to sound really stupid, but ive been wondering this lately.

If a woman wants to enter an order of nuns, is she allowed to have tattoos? Like, for example. If i get a tattoo of St. Michael on my forearm when I'm in college, and then i find that my vocation is to the convent, will i not be allowed in because of my tattoo?

This is hypothetical by the way. And not a debate on whether or not tattoo's are ok. Just a question.[/quote]

No it isn't a stupid question. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
I had to say that, I'm a teacher.

I have tatoo's by the way. I'm thinking that it would be up to the community.
The "is she allowed to have" is an interesting question, if you have them what are they going to do?
There already there. Tatoo's can be removed but it is expensive.

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1290849' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:17 PM']No it isn't a stupid question. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
I had to say that, I'm a teacher.

I have tatoo's by the way. I'm thinking that it would be up to the community.
The "is she allowed to have" is an interesting question, if you have them what are they going to do?
There already there. Tatoo's can be removed but it is expensive.[/quote]

That is my concern. I dont think that any order would force a discerner to get her tattoo's removed, as it is expensive (and painful!). But i didnt know if they would be allowed to join if they had tattoo's. I mean, a vocation is a vocation, tattoos or not. However, as many orders are very conservative (as they should be!), i didnt know if it would be "discriminated" against (for lack of a better term)!

Well in my wilder younger days I got three tattoo's and I am entering SMME in less than 3 months WOOHOO!!

Now my tattoo's are all on my low back, small, not skulls or anything crazy like that, and are not visible to anyone except myself. Seeing as I am going to be wearing a long vest for the first year, and God willing, the habit next year, no one will ever be able to see them.

I dont regret them in the least, I love them! I dont think the sisters know about them as I didnt feel it had any impact on my calling to the consecrated life. I asked my pastor about it and he said it is fine.

That said, I dont think getting a tattoo on a very visible place like your forearm is the best idea and I dont think I would have gotten a tattoo if I had any idea I might be headed towards the convent. For me the call was a huge shock, something I never would have imagined at the time I got my tattoo's. Now that I do have them, I love them and I dont think it makes me any less of a candidate for the religious life

God bless :)

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1290936' date='Jun 8 2007, 01:16 PM']Well in my wilder younger days I got three tattoo's and I am entering SMME in less than 3 months WOOHOO!!

That said, I dont think getting a tattoo on a very visible place like your forearm is the best idea and I dont think I would have gotten a tattoo if I had any idea I might be headed towards the convent. For me the call was a huge shock, something I never would have imagined at the time I got my tattoo's. Now that I do have them, I love them and I dont think it makes me any less of a candidate for the religious life[/quote]

I agree with you, Piobaire. In general, the beauty of one religious vocation (I hope) is not based on the external but (I think) it has to come from within.

Congratulations on your new journey with JESUS in the convent. Thank you for your "yes" to HIM.

[quote name='Eureka' post='1290941' date='Jun 8 2007, 02:33 PM']I agree with you, Piobaire. In general, the beauty of one religious vocation (I hope) is not based on the external but (I think) it has to come from within.

Congratulations on your new journey with JESUS in the convent. Thank you for your "yes" to HIM.[/quote]

And to add my 2 cents ... I know someone who would cut her wrists and mark herself. God touched her and long story short now she's in a convent (when I last saw her she was a postulant). She mentioned at one point that she was embarrassed that people could see what she used to do ... but added that what the sisters told her was that it IS part of her history and that she shouldn't be ashamed of it, but proud of what the Lord has accomplished and got her out of.

AlterDominicus

Well I know on experiance at OLRM one of their former postulants had a tattoo of their logo or something on their back, and it was okay.

[quote name='Seven77' post='1290940' date='Jun 8 2007, 02:27 PM']easy: don't get one.[/quote]

I didnt start this thread to ask whether or not to get one, just whether or not religious communities are accepting of them.

[quote name='chelsea' post='1291008' date='Jun 8 2007, 01:47 PM']I didnt start this thread to ask whether or not to get one, just whether or not religious communities are accepting of them.[/quote]

I knew a girl who had a tattoo on her leg and she entered a community. From what I understand, her community accepted her - tattoo and all. I am sure there would be some sisters in religious congregations who would frown at the sight of one and others who would simply accept it.

sr betsy

be_thou_my_vision

I have one. I got "totus tuus" tattooed on me earlier this year, and I absolutely love it! My community knows, and I'm entering in 3 months as well. I don't think it's a big deal. :)

Totus Tuus

I will keep my opinion of tattoos aside here for a minute :blush: .....

I would think that the tattoo would become a problem for a perspective community if:

1. It was in a visible place on your body (this would include arms, which would almost certainly be visible during certain cleaning periods, etc., even in a full traditional habit). A tattoo on your back, for example, might be less of an impediment.

2. The actual image might raise concerns. A snake or other diabolical image would probably raise concerns.

God bless!

Edited by Totus Tuus

philosophette

We were never asked about tattoos, piercings and such on our application. I guess as long as it is not something visible it is not a big deal. I know someone entering a male order and he has a tattoo near his ankle and they told him its ok... so I guess if you want to get one it would probably be best to have it somewhere where it will not be super visible and of an image that will not be something you regret later on. :) I wish I could get a tattoo... lol.