An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Direction For Our Proposed Active Orders

Gemma

We're going to be starting with the Congregation of Charity of the Miraculous Medal, Servants of the Poor (CCMM).

[url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/charity/"]http://cloisters.tripod.com/charity/[/url]

The new active charisms will be founded from this one as a means of specialization of the apostolates.

If you look under the "About Us" link, then under "Religious Practices," you'll find a link for Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. There's a chaplet and a consecration to her on that page.

Please pray for this venture.

Blessings,
Gemma

ofpheritup

[quote name='Gemma' post='1289346' date='Jun 6 2007, 05:59 AM']We're going to be starting with the Congregation of Charity of the Miraculous Medal, Servants of the Poor (CCMM).

The new active charisms will be founded from this one as a means of specialization of the apostolates.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]
Gemma, I thought about starting an order whose apostolate would be "respite related" going into the home of people who were caregivers (for whatever reason) and replacing them for a few hours, to give them a break.
I saw the need for that when I was a Home Health Aide.

Is there any "room" in your community for something like this? :drool:
Like I mentioned the need out there for it is GREAT.
Or if not this community perhaps another.

ofpheritup

[quote name='Gemma' post='1289346' date='Jun 6 2007, 05:59 AM']We're going to be starting with the Congregation of Charity of the Miraculous Medal, Servants of the Poor (CCMM).

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]
Gemma, I thought about starting an order whose apostolate would be "respite related" going into the home of people who were caregivers (for whatever reason) and replacing them for a few hours, to give them a break.

Or if not this community perhaps another.

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1289403' date='Jun 6 2007, 11:52 AM']Gemma, I thought about starting an order whose apostolate would be "respite related" going into the home of people who were caregivers (for whatever reason) and replacing them for a few hours, to give them a break.

Or if not this community perhaps another.[/quote]

That thought had gotten onto my mind very strongly this week, esp. while I was updating the CCMM website.

We could correspond about it. I would recommend entering discernment on the matter.

Blessings,
Gemma

ofpheritup

[quote name='Gemma' post='1289593' date='Jun 6 2007, 03:57 PM']That thought had gotten onto my mind very strongly this week, esp. while I was updating the CCMM website.

We could correspond about it. I would recommend entering discernment on the matter.
Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

I wasn't thinking of myself in particular, I was just throwing out ideas.
Besides I think my husband would object. :lol_roll:

I realized that this is a need that is not really being addressed.
I think a religious order doing this work would be a great witness.

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1289620' date='Jun 6 2007, 06:52 PM']I wasn't thinking of myself in particular, I was just throwing out ideas.
Besides I think my husband would object. :lol_roll:

I realized that this is a need that is not really being addressed.
I think a religious order doing this work would be a great witness.[/quote]

The Servants of Mary, Ministers of the Sick, whose motherhouse is in Kansas City, KS, do something similar to this. They sit with the sick at night, giving caretakers a break. They have a waiting list. I would highly recommend this community to any discerning female.

We can add the respite to the apostolates. Thanks for the idea. I can relate to this, as we had to care for my grandma for a few months.

Blessings,
Gemma

the lords sheep

Wow, I'd never even heard of the servants of Mary, and I live on the other side of the state! The KC archdiocese has so many wonderful orthodox orders!

On another note?
Will your order follow the same practice as the DCs as only making simple vows for one year at a time?

Your renewal sounds beautiful! My only worry is about the habit. I know that you want to return to the Sisters' origins, but my mother, who was taught by Daughters of Charity, said that most of the Sisters had ulcers around their neck and ears from the starch that was necessary to hold up the veil.
But it's just a thought.

May God bless you as you continue to follow His will!

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

Edited by the lords sheep

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1289730' date='Jun 6 2007, 10:16 PM']Will your order follow the same practice as the DCs as only making simple vows for one year at a time?

Your renewal sounds beautiful! My only worry is about the habit. I know that you want to return to the Sisters' origins, but my mother, who was taught by Daughters of Charity, said that most of the Sisters had ulcers around their neck and ears from the starch that was necessary to hold up the veil.
But it's just a thought.

May God bless you as you continue to follow His will!

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren[/quote]

Yearly vows: I believe that that's the direction I'm being led in. Since active religious orders were not acknowledged as such back in those days, they also didn't have a formal ceremony of becoming a Bride of Christ. The novitiate sisters were simply handed their new habits.

I'm working on the cornette problem/issue. As I said on the website, we're trying to find a nurse's cap manufacturer who can help with this. The cornette will not be the same size as what was worn in the 1960s. It will be like an overgrown nurse's cap. I was going to see if we could use lycra/spandex for the cap, and use snaps instead of pins to attach the cornette to the cap. Starch isn't necessary for a nurse's cap, due to the way they're made.

Blessings,
Gemma

starch is needed for nurses caps, which is one of the reasons those dinosaurs died years ago. And you have to use liquid starch. We starched our caps at least once a month and had to plaster the mess on a refridgerator or something to harden them. A real pain.
I just cant imagine bringing back that horrid cornette, sorry that was unbelievably ugly and cumbersome. A simple veil is certainly adequate.
When I was young, we had Sistrers of Mercy of NJ. They wore this white hard cap thing on their heads, and then the veil sat on that. The sisters used to have these indentations where that cap cut into their heads. Nasty.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1290167' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:15 AM']starch is needed for nurses caps, which is one of the reasons those dinosaurs died years ago. And you have to use liquid starch. We starched our caps at least once a month and had to plaster the mess on a refridgerator or something to harden them. A real pain.
I just cant imagine bringing back that horrid cornette, sorry that was unbelievably ugly and cumbersome. A simple veil is certainly adequate.
When I was young, we had Sistrers of Mercy of NJ. They wore this white hard cap thing on their heads, and then the veil sat on that. The sisters used to have these indentations where that cap cut into their heads. Nasty.[/quote]

There's another lay foundress who has been given the cornette for her sisters to wear, so I'm not the only one receiving this inspiration. BTW, I've had nurse's training (didn't finish due to circumstances beyond my control), and she's a nurse, too.

There's a bonnet under the cornette that was worn directly on the head. The cornette was attached to the bonnet by many, many straight pins. We're trying modern-day methods to recreate both.

Blessings,
Gemma

Edited by Gemma

HollyDolly

[quote name='Gemma' post='1290187' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:28 AM']There's another lay foundress who has been given the cornette for her sisters to wear, so I'm not the only one receiving this inspiration. BTW, I've had nurse's training (didn't finish due to circumstances beyond my control), and she's a nurse, too.

There's a bonnet under the cornette that was worn directly on the head. The cornette was attached to the bonnet by many, many straight pins. We're trying modern-day methods to recreate both.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]
What is this other community Gemma that is also considering the coronette?
Maybe I can come up with some idea for you.Let me work on it. Can't say what it is exactly right now,but I'm kind of getting an idea.

Kind of surprised that some of the old ideas are coming back in regards to habits.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Kind of surprised that some of the old ideas are coming back in regards to habits.[/quote]

So am I, and not necessarily in a good way. I am all for the habit. I think it was a real shame that so many communities abandoned it entirely. But there were good reasons for the abolition of the sweeping sleeves and the heavy felt scapulars and the starched headgear. My spiritual director told me once that her fingers used to bleed when she was on sewing duty because of all the starch in the headpieces. It took the members of her community so much time and effort to take care of their habits, and that is not the [i]point[/i] of a habit. Nuns and religious sisters are meant to live simply so that they can pour themselves into God with all their heart and all their soul and all their mind. If you have a very worthwhile mission in the world, but a habit that requires you to spend hours in the laundry each week (or else run the risk of being unsanitary), that mission is inevitably going to suffer.

Some of this widespread passion for habits might be the result of nostalgia for the past and a misguided love of 'small t' tradition rather than anything else. A god who would obsess over his servants' headgear to the exclusion of almost everything else is not the Living God whom I worship.

It might be better to focus on the spirituality and work of these proposed sisters rather than on what they will wear. After all, it is presumably not the design of their habit that God will ask them about at the Judgement.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous