An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catechisis Of The Good Shepherd/montessori Method

Gemma

I've fielded an email requesting information on any religious communities which may use both the Montessori Method and the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. I'm very familiar with the former, but I've never heard of the latter.

TIA.

Blessings,
Gemma

Chiquitunga

When I was on retreat with the Community of St. John in Princeville, IL last year in June, there was a Dominican sister from PA also on retreat there. I believe her name was Sr. Maria.

Before I left, I asked her what community she was from and she said she was from a new forming community of Dominicans in PA (if I'm remembering correctly, it was PA), who's apostolate will be to have a school for children in the Montessori Method, and to teach and the encourage the laity to pray the Divine Office. She said they pray the 7 hours of the Office daily.

She was in a full Dominican habit. I cannot remember if she had a wimple or not, but her veil was long and black, like one of many contemplative nuns wear / like the Caphuchin Sisters of Nazareth.

I cannot find anything online yet about them. She was definitely not an Adrian Dominican, which has a lot of results when I search Dominican Montessori.

Edited by Margaret Clare

AccountDeleted

Catechesis of the Good Shepherd-
Where adults and children embark in a common religious
experience, and the religious values of childhood predominate.
[url="http://www.cgsusa.org"]www.cgsusa.org[/url]

Chiquitunga

[quote name='nunsense' post='1288933' date='Jun 5 2007, 06:10 PM']Catechesis of the Good Shepherd-
[url="http://www.cgsusa.org"]www.cgsusa.org[/url][/quote] Great link, Annie! I was searching to see if I could find the new community the Dominican Sister I met was in, and couldn't find it, but I did find that the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception teach at a Montessori school in PA - [url="http://www.vernamontessorischool.org/aboutvms.html"]http://www.vernamontessorischool.org/aboutvms.html[/url]

AccountDeleted

I found the quote in someone else's signature block and remembered that Gemma was looking for the GS.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1288555' date='Jun 5 2007, 07:11 AM']I've fielded an email requesting information on any religious communities which may use both the Montessori Method and the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. I'm very familiar with the former, but I've never heard of the latter.

TIA.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]
Reading this post makes me :clap: I'm a trained catechist in CGS for ages 3-12. I am also discerning religious life (maybe that's obvious). I know from conversations I've had with women who've been in the CGS movement, there's been talk of a religious community forming. But it never came from the CGS foundresses or ever went so far as to talk to bishops. Many communities who teach have sister who work in Montessori schools. Many of those schools even use the CGS curriculum--off hand I can think of SCC, SSND, ASCJ, Humility of Mary, FSE, one Nashville Dominican sister, and others overseas (esp in Africa and South America). I think the CGS charism resounds in the charism of many religious communities as well. And I sometimes hesitate to think of "boxing in" the CGS charism into a religious community... I don't know.

I would be [u]very [/u]interested in talking to this woman if she didn't mind you PM'ing me her contact info.

[quote name='williamb' post='1288617' date='Jun 5 2007, 10:18 AM']The Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist teach at a Montessori school here in Portland.[/quote]
I really, [i]really [/i]hope to visit there on day. It's a rarity to find a Montessori school that has integrated the CGS curriculum into thei program (though the Center for Children and Theology in DC is very excellent).

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1288756' date='Jun 5 2007, 02:36 PM']When I was on retreat with the Community of St. John in Princeville, IL last year in June, there was a Dominican sister from PA also on retreat there. I believe her name was Sr. Maria.

Before I left, I asked her what community she was from and she said she was from a new forming community of Dominicans in PA (if I'm remembering correctly, it was PA), who's apostolate will be to have a school for children in the Montessori Method, and to teach and the encourage the laity to pray the Divine Office. She said they pray the 7 hours of the Office daily.

She was in a full Dominican habit. I cannot remember if she had a wimple or not, but her veil was long and black, like one of many contemplative nuns wear / like the Caphuchin Sisters of Nazareth.

I cannot find anything online yet about them. She was definitely not an Adrian Dominican, which has a lot of results when I search Dominican Montessori.[/quote]
I've done quite a few searches myself on this kind of stuff and would be surprised if you found anything online about this new community. In any case, I would be [u]very interested[/u] in any/all information you have about this sister. I feel very called to Dominican life as well as to Montessori method of education and CGS.

[quote name='nunsense' post='1288933' date='Jun 5 2007, 08:10 PM']Catechesis of the Good Shepherd-
[url="http://www.cgsusa.org"]www.cgsusa.org[/url][/quote]
[quote name='nunsense' post='1289315' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:46 AM']I found the quote in someone else's signature block and remembered that Gemma was looking for the GS.[/quote]
That's me!!!!!!! :lol_roll:

Edited by shortnun

Chiquitunga

[quote name='shortnun' post='1289648' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:27 PM']I've done quite a few searches myself on this kind of stuff and would be surprised if you found anything online about this new community. In any case, I would be [u]very interested[/u] in any/all information you have about this sister. I feel very called to Dominican life as well as to Montessori method of education and CGS.[/quote]

Hi! Oh, I do wish I could help you more .. The only other people I know you could try asking would be the [url="http://communityofstjohn.com/"]Community of St. John[/url] in Princeville, IL as she was on retreat there. Actually she came with this one family that came at the end of June/July to construct the wood wall that's in the sisters' chapel as well as the refectory where they pick up their food. The chapel & refectory used to just have a white wall, (during most of my retreat) but then they came in to finish it off with the wood panels as can be seen on SrAli's site. She was a friend of this family from PA and came with them. Again, I'm pretty sure her name was Sr. Maria. So maybe they would remember, and know something about her new community. I'll remember you in prayer that you find the order the Lord is calling you to! God bless!

~MC

Edited by Margaret Clare

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this old thread. I'm very involved with this program and was wondering if anyone had encountered it since we'd last talked about it here.

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1288948' date='Jun 5 2007, 09:43 PM']Great link, Annie! I was searching to see if I could find the new community the Dominican Sister I met was in, and couldn't find it, but I did find that the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception teach at a Montessori school in PA - [url="http://www.vernamontessorischool.org/aboutvms.html"]http://www.vernamontessorischool.org/aboutvms.html[/url][/quote]

Yeah, that was the one I thought of. They are right by me.