An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Stories

IrishSalesian

Religious life  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IrishSalesian

Hello, I just wanted to post this to see if anyone wanted to post thier story.

Here is mine...

When I was a senior in High School my grandmother became sick with a very rapid deadly strain of cancer. When I went to the hospital one day I met the Chaplain. He was talking to my mother at the time. I introduced myself to him. During his introduction, he told me that "If you don't become a priest, your mother is going to hell!"
I was dubfounded. I couldn't believe that he had said this to me. Well needless to say I ignored him. I went to work at a restaurant near my house that evening, and a bishop was in for dinner. He told me that he felt the need to ask me a question. He said to me, "I feel a strong aura coming from you. Have you ever thought about the priesthood?"
I told him that he was the second priest to tell me that day that mentioned the priesthood to me. He said that i should look into it then. So I did what any teenager would do. I ignored it. BIG MISTAKE!
I started to go back to church as a result of the two encounters. My grandmother died later that month. I was a wreck. At my grandmother's months mind mass the vocations director for my diocese was giving his vocations talk. I said a prayer and I asked God, "What is it that You want from me? I will do as I am asked, just tell me!"
Well, during the consecration, I broke down, I was crying. It was very moving, as if I had just understood at that very moment that God was with me. He was standing next to me telling me what it was that He wanted me to do.
I started discerning with the diocese. This went on for about two years. I loved every moment of being at the seminary with the guys, seeing how they lived their lives. It wasn't for me. Thats what my decision came to. There was something missing. I went through the application process, and just before I handed over the envelope with my application I stopped.
I was being pulled in another direction. Something was telling my heart that this wasn't for me. So I started to look at religious orders. I got a bunch of information from the Dominacans, and the Franciscans. Then I got an info packet from The Salesians of Don Bosco. They sent me a hand written letter inviting me down to a 'Come and See weekend'
From the moment i went in to the formation house for a visit, I felt at home. I felt at peace with myself, and with the world. This was the place for me. So, after that weekend which was January of 2007 I submitted an application and began the process to get into the order. I was accepted on Holy Saturday, 2007! I was so excited. The Salesians are an Order that work primarily with the youth, and the poor. Two types of people that I would love to work for. The one thing that kept me from the Diocese was the lack of community. The Salesians welcomed me as a brother, and friend. A very strong sense of community. I fell in love with them, now in August the 27th, 2007, I will be entering the formation house in Ornage, NJ for the begining of the rest of my life. I am so excited.

I just wanted to share with all of you my story. If you want to post yours, please do so.

Gob Bless all of you,
Adam Dupre :priest:

philosophette

Wow, Adam, that is a powerful story. I am so excited that we are going to be in formation at the same time! :) You are going to make a GREAT Salesian. :topsy:

My vocation story is a little more complicated, but I think that rather than go over years of discernment, I will put my conversion story below, which is what really guided me to my vocation. [url="http://intothedeep.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/my-conversion-story/"]It is from my blog[/url]:

[indent][indent]Perhaps I mentioned it elsewhere, but I am not a cradle Catholic. (I can hear the gasps of shock reverberating around the internet…I will give you a moment to recover… ok, now? Good.) Although my parents were both raised Catholic, they fell away from their practice of the faith as young adults. My father joined the army for a few years and my mother was a single mother trying to survive with my half sister.

When I was born my parents had me baptized as a Lutheran. I would occasionally go to my godmother’s church, which was Episcopalian, and sometimes we would go to the local protestant praise and worship church where I greatly reveled in their children’s play room (that had this AWESOME pink panther viewfinder that I adored). Yet, church attendance was sparse at best and I did not really know anything other than what my illustrated children’s bible told me. Ah, yes, I was a Fundamentalist to boot!

I know that I always liked the Holy Spirit… a lot. I thought he was kind of cool with his tongues of fire and all. In fact, I glued orange feathers to the children’s bible picture of Pentecost to give the tongues of fire a more palpable feel. I considered it “Sacred Art”.

When I turned 10 I decided that I hated God for giving me a special needs brother, so I roundly dismissed him from my life. It was really rather rude how I went about it basically saying, “I hate you” and that was the sum of our discussion, er monologue.

When I was 13 I was sent to Catholic school because I was not getting along very well in public school. My grades were good, but my peers mistreated me and I was heading towards a deep depression. I was mocked for being overweight, wearing glasses, and not having nice clothing. After spending four pointless years going to the school social worker and being told that it was all my fault and that I should change myself (which only further added to my self-esteem issues) I begged to be sent to any other school, so my grandfather (of happy memory) did what any nominally Catholic Irishman would do - he sent me to the nearest parish school.

Now most young people would think it absolute penance to have to wear a uniform, but I loved it because I did not have to worry about not fitting in clothing-wise. I had one friend who was already going there (and who was protestant) and I looked forward to being in class with her. I had an “in” with the alien Catholics.

My mother instructed me to be careful not to let the Catholics brainwash me. My typical attitude was “whatever” and it was the ONE TIME it actually proved helpful.

Shortly after the school year began we had a Mass, a not entirely foreign idea to me considering my experiences with the Episcopalian church. I went to the Mass mildly curious and left completely changed. It is hard to explain exactly what happened, but it was a real encounter with a Presence that I could not explain. I know that Christ touched me during that Mass and spoke to my heart in a way I cannot even begin to put to words. I knew, from that moment on, that I HAD to become Catholic. It was not a matter of wanting, but of needing.

Why?

I had told God that I hated him when I was younger because I thought that he never did anything to show His love to me in the present moment. Yes, Jesus dying and all seemed so great, but God in general was very distant and untouchable. How could I love a God whom I felt so great a distance from? It was like God was up in the clouds and I was busy in the real world having a miserable time of it, doing my best just to survive, and He was eating bon-bons and telling me to be grateful for his gifts. Woo-hoo. I was so unimpressed with the whole “God” idea until I experienced the Real Presence.

At that Mass I came to understand, and it must have been some kind of amazing grace, that God loved me in the present moment. Furthermore, I came to understand that that love in the present moment translated into the sacrament of the Eucharist, the continual giving of Christ, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity to His people.

The Eucharist meant that God was always there in a tangible way, imprisoned in the tabernacle for me, and if I wanted to, I could go and have a daily personal encounter with his Life, Death and Resurrection through the Mass.

Wow.

It was a lot for a 13 year old to take in, but it was just what I needed; it changed my life! Furthermore, I felt very strongly that I wanted to be able to imitate this Eucharistic life of Christ and to give myself totally to other people in service to them out of love... and this translated into my call to religious life.

I told my mother that I wanted to become Catholic and after much hemming and hawing I started in the RCIA program. On April 3, 1999 I made my profession of faith, received my first Communion, and was confirmed with the name Teresa (for St Teresa of Avila). It was the GREATEST night of my life and I feel like that joy is repeated every time I receive any of the sacraments. Deo gratias.

I began to look at many different orders, but I knew that it was important for me to live with a community that is very Marian and Eucharistic - both things that the Salesians are. They may not make a daily holy hour, but they try to make their entire life an act of adoration and love of God. They make a community visit to the Blessed Sacrament in the afternoon... there is such a strong sense of community with the Salesians - like a big family.

So I went, in January, on a retreat with them and a private visit and asked for my application. I am entering on August 4, at 22 years of age. My discernment has been very long, very difficult at times, but so full of God's grace. Please pray for me, too!
[/indent][/indent]

IrishSalesian

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1285978' date='Jun 1 2007, 05:16 PM']Wow, Adam, that is a powerful story. I am so excited that we are going to be in formation at the same time! :) You are going to make a GREAT Salesian. :topsy:

My vocation story is a little more complicated, but I think that rather than go over years of discernment, I will put my conversion story below, which is what really guided me to my vocation. [url="http://intothedeep.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/my-conversion-story/"]It is from my blog[/url]:

[indent][indent]Perhaps I mentioned it elsewhere, but I am not a cradle Catholic. (I can hear the gasps of shock reverberating around the internet…I will give you a moment to recover… ok, now? Good.) Although my parents were both raised Catholic, they fell away from their practice of the faith as young adults. My father joined the army for a few years and my mother was a single mother trying to survive with my half sister.

When I was born my parents had me baptized as a Lutheran. I would occasionally go to my godmother’s church, which was Episcopalian, and sometimes we would go to the local protestant praise and worship church where I greatly reveled in their children’s play room (that had this AWESOME pink panther viewfinder that I adored). Yet, church attendance was sparse at best and I did not really know anything other than what my illustrated children’s bible told me. Ah, yes, I was a Fundamentalist to boot!

I know that I always liked the Holy Spirit… a lot. I thought he was kind of cool with his tongues of fire and all. In fact, I glued orange feathers to the children’s bible picture of Pentecost to give the tongues of fire a more palpable feel. I considered it “Sacred Art”.

When I turned 10 I decided that I hated God for giving me a special needs brother, so I roundly dismissed him from my life. It was really rather rude how I went about it basically saying, “I hate you” and that was the sum of our discussion, er monologue.

When I was 13 I was sent to Catholic school because I was not getting along very well in public school. My grades were good, but my peers mistreated me and I was heading towards a deep depression. I was mocked for being overweight, wearing glasses, and not having nice clothing. After spending four pointless years going to the school social worker and being told that it was all my fault and that I should change myself (which only further added to my self-esteem issues) I begged to be sent to any other school, so my grandfather (of happy memory) did what any nominally Catholic Irishman would do - he sent me to the nearest parish school.

Now most young people would think it absolute penance to have to wear a uniform, but I loved it because I did not have to worry about not fitting in clothing-wise. I had one friend who was already going there (and who was protestant) and I looked forward to being in class with her. I had an “in” with the alien Catholics.

My mother instructed me to be careful not to let the Catholics brainwash me. My typical attitude was “whatever” and it was the ONE TIME it actually proved helpful.

Shortly after the school year began we had a Mass, a not entirely foreign idea to me considering my experiences with the Episcopalian church. I went to the Mass mildly curious and left completely changed. It is hard to explain exactly what happened, but it was a real encounter with a Presence that I could not explain. I know that Christ touched me during that Mass and spoke to my heart in a way I cannot even begin to put to words. I knew, from that moment on, that I HAD to become Catholic. It was not a matter of wanting, but of needing.

Why?

I had told God that I hated him when I was younger because I thought that he never did anything to show His love to me in the present moment. Yes, Jesus dying and all seemed so great, but God in general was very distant and untouchable. How could I love a God whom I felt so great a distance from? It was like God was up in the clouds and I was busy in the real world having a miserable time of it, doing my best just to survive, and He was eating bon-bons and telling me to be grateful for his gifts. Woo-hoo. I was so unimpressed with the whole “God” idea until I experienced the Real Presence.

At that Mass I came to understand, and it must have been some kind of amazing grace, that God loved me in the present moment. Furthermore, I came to understand that that love in the present moment translated into the sacrament of the Eucharist, the continual giving of Christ, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity to His people.

The Eucharist meant that God was always there in a tangible way, imprisoned in the tabernacle for me, and if I wanted to, I could go and have a daily personal encounter with his Life, Death and Resurrection through the Mass.

Wow.

It was a lot for a 13 year old to take in, but it was just what I needed; it changed my life! Furthermore, I felt very strongly that I wanted to be able to imitate this Eucharistic life of Christ and to give myself totally to other people in service to them out of love... and this translated into my call to religious life.

I told my mother that I wanted to become Catholic and after much hemming and hawing I started in the RCIA program. On April 3, 1999 I made my profession of faith, received my first Communion, and was confirmed with the name Teresa (for St Teresa of Avila). It was the GREATEST night of my life and I feel like that joy is repeated every time I receive any of the sacraments. Deo gratias.

I began to look at many different orders, but I knew that it was important for me to live with a community that is very Marian and Eucharistic - both things that the Salesians are. They may not make a daily holy hour, but they try to make their entire life an act of adoration and love of God. They make a community visit to the Blessed Sacrament in the afternoon... there is such a strong sense of community with the Salesians - like a big family.

So I went, in January, on a retreat with them and a private visit and asked for my application. I am entering on August 4, at 22 years of age. My discernment has been very long, very difficult at times, but so full of God's grace. Please pray for me, too!
[/indent][/indent][/quote]

WOW. Thats an amazing story! Im so glad that we will be in formation at the same time also. Its gonna be wicked awesome!

AlterDominicus

Hi y'all!

Oscar Hammerstein wrote in the Sound of Music let's start at the very beginning a very good place to start well my beginning into Holy Mother Church was about three years ago, I had been living by my neighbors now my Godparents for over half of my life, and they were devout Catholic, I got invited over for dinner one night and they started to do this weird prayer thing [grace] and eventually I caught on, I started to go to different parish events, not mass itself until a few months later, and one morning in November of 2004 I woke up and said, "I HAVE TO BECOME CATHOLIC!" [if you havent got it already, I'm a convert. *recovery shock period* Okie back to the story...] I didnt want to tell my Godmother yet, I was over at their house the next day and we were funnily enough watching the Sound of Music and my mom called and told my Godmother that I wanted to become Catholic so we got me signed up for RCIA, a little before all this - as I was delayed into the RCIA program for whatever reason until November of 2005 to March 2006, I felt that God was calling me to be a nun before my actual conversion so I typed in nuns on the computer and actually [yes Sister Mary Catharine I have to brag] It was Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery in Summit, NJ that really literally made an atomic bomb out of my vocation. They helped me sooooooooo much! Needless to say I was and still him the biggest Dominican Freak you will ever meet in your life. I went through ALOT of suffering that people other then our Lord would probably not go through, and I went through alot of other orders, but it was [and is [perhaps] after an email I got from a phatmasser] the Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist that I am in love with. I've been there twice for their retreats and met some phatmassers in the middle of it, I met Sister Joseph Andrew three times, she came to Minnesota in 2005 and then the other two at their retreats, and saw the, again this past April as well as Sister C and philosobrat, anyway to finish I got baptized and confirmed in April of 2006, and I am on my way, surely enjoying the pilgrimage.

TheOliverOrder88

I'll try to make mine as short as possible. I could write a novel.

In regards to particular religious upbringing I was brought up in a strange home. My parents, though they attended Mass nearly every Sunday, when it came to personal belief were more like Evangelicals. They had no emphasis on the Eucharist or Sacraments. They had more emphasis on the bible and faith (not works) and all that Protestant schtuff.

So: fast foward to about 8th grade. I can't necessarily point to a particular event, but I remember sitting in weekly Mass (I went to a Catholic grade school).... it was like the voice of God said "What is he doing?"... Now I wasn't really paying any attention, so I thought "Who?".... Then I looked and saw that the priest was up there at the altar doing his priestly things. (I can't remember anything in particular that he was doing at the time).... the fruits of that experience led me to believe that God was calling me to the priesthood.

Now since then I've had more substancial experiences, such as serving at one of the World Youth Day Masses in Germany, that have certainly led me to believe in this calling more than just something that might have not happened. I actually can't remember when the thought entered my brain, but somewhere around 8th grade I thought God was calling me to the priesthood. Also during 8th grade I abandoned the idea, but came to a conclusion that would change me forever. I noticed, out of all the different churches, this one, this Catholic church to be something different. I remember praying, "Lord, I understand that you don't want me to be a priest, but please don't take this community away from me." He didn't. From then I began to jump into Catholic doctrine and come to believe the "lies" that my parents told me to stay away from. I began to go to Confession regularly, Adoration, and weekly Mass (now in high school).

One particular experience that led me again to think about the priesthood came during Confession. I had just been to one of the ordination Masses of the transitional deacon at our parish and the priest I went to said, "Oh so in about 11 years, that'll be you right?" I laughed, he didn't.

I began to go to the seminary and hang out with the seminarians. I got to know alot of them. I would help out at the camp they hold for 6-9th graders. I kinda fell in love with the place, every time I would notice something different that I would find astonishing, whether it would be the beauty of the chapel, the seemingly ordinary but vastly important Liturgy of the Hours... I find home once again. It was like coming back home. I think G.K. Chesterton speaks about Christianity in Orthodoxy.... like when the man who got lost in sea off the coast of England.... discovers England once again. It was strange and weird.

Though the priesthood has been the bulk of my discernment, I've also been thinking about film production, writing, and even becoming a brother (the Christian Brothers sorta run my school), but I keep coming back to the Eucharist and the liturgy and finding home again (again and again and again).

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1285889' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:40 PM']Hello, I just wanted to post this to see if anyone wanted to post thier story.

Here is mine...

When I was a senior in High School my grandmother became sick with a very rapid deadly strain of cancer. When I went to the hospital one day I met the Chaplain. He was talking to my mother at the time. I introduced myself to him. During his introduction, he told me that "If you don't become a priest, your mother is going to hell!"
I was dubfounded. I couldn't believe that he had said this to me. Well needless to say I ignored him. I went to work at a restaurant near my house that evening, and a bishop was in for dinner. He told me that he felt the need to ask me a question. He said to me, "I feel a strong aura coming from you. Have you ever thought about the priesthood?"
I told him that he was the second priest to tell me that day that mentioned the priesthood to me.[/quote]

I don't understand.... why would anyone (especially a priest) ever claim that their loved one's salvation depends entirely upon them making a certain decision? How can such a statement not be against Church doctrine?

Also, what's with this mysterious "aura?" Seems like an odd way to discover your vocation... seems like I've heard of this aura a number of other times and it just about pisses me off (just to be honest). Why don't married people learn of their vocation through the aura? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

philosophette

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1286379' date='Jun 1 2007, 11:43 PM']I don't understand.... why would anyone (especially a priest) ever claim that their loved one's salvation depends entirely upon them making a certain decision? How can such a statement not be against Church doctrine?

Also, what's with this mysterious "aura?" Seems like an odd way to discover your vocation... seems like I've heard of this aura a number of other times and it just about pisses me off (just to be honest). Why don't married people learn of their vocation through the aura? It doesn't make any sense to me.[/quote]

Umm... lighten up a little bit, :annoyed: I think that Adam meant to indicate that the priest was teasing him about the going to hell part, but also approaching the subject of a vocation at the same time... :)

In a less new-agey sense people throw around the concept of aura all the time as a "vibe" they get from someone - that is what was meant (not a glowing orange halo thingy). We must try to not be so quick to see evil everywhere... :rolleyes:

Edited by philosobrat

IrishSalesian

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1286426' date='Jun 2 2007, 01:40 AM']Umm... lighten up a little bit, :annoyed: I think that Adam meant to indicate that the priest was teasing him about the going to hell part, but also approaching the subject of a vocation at the same time... :)

In a less new-agey sense people throw around the concept of aura all the time as a "vibe" they get from someone - that is what was meant (not a glowing orange halo thingy). We must try to not be so quick to see evil everywhere... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hello,
The part of my mother going to hell was a joke, turns out that the priest knew my mother from when they were younger. So it was a joke.

And to avoid any fits, the bishop felt a vibe from me not an aura, an aura doesnt have to be an evil spirit you know...

philosophette

[quote name='TheOliverOrder88' post='1286004' date='Jun 1 2007, 05:24 PM']I'll try to make mine as short as possible. I could write a novel.

In regards to particular religious upbringing I was brought up in a strange home. My parents, though they attended Mass nearly every Sunday, when it came to personal belief were more like Evangelicals. They had no emphasis on the Eucharist or Sacraments. They had more emphasis on the bible and faith (not works) and all that Protestant schtuff.

So: fast foward to about 8th grade. I can't necessarily point to a particular event, but I remember sitting in weekly Mass (I went to a Catholic grade school).... it was like the voice of God said "What is he doing?"... Now I wasn't really paying any attention, so I thought "Who?".... Then I looked and saw that the priest was up there at the altar doing his priestly things. (I can't remember anything in particular that he was doing at the time).... the fruits of that experience led me to believe that God was calling me to the priesthood.

Now since then I've had more substancial experiences, such as serving at one of the World Youth Day Masses in Germany, that have certainly led me to believe in this calling more than just something that might have not happened. I actually can't remember when the thought entered my brain, but somewhere around 8th grade I thought God was calling me to the priesthood. Also during 8th grade I abandoned the idea, but came to a conclusion that would change me forever. I noticed, out of all the different churches, this one, this Catholic church to be something different. I remember praying, "Lord, I understand that you don't want me to be a priest, but please don't take this community away from me." He didn't. From then I began to jump into Catholic doctrine and come to believe the "lies" that my parents told me to stay away from. I began to go to Confession regularly, Adoration, and weekly Mass (now in high school).

One particular experience that led me again to think about the priesthood came during Confession. I had just been to one of the ordination Masses of the transitional deacon at our parish and the priest I went to said, "Oh so in about 11 years, that'll be you right?" I laughed, he didn't.

I began to go to the seminary and hang out with the seminarians. I got to know alot of them. I would help out at the camp they hold for 6-9th graders. I kinda fell in love with the place, every time I would notice something different that I would find astonishing, whether it would be the beauty of the chapel, the seemingly ordinary but vastly important Liturgy of the Hours... I find home once again. It was like coming back home. I think G.K. Chesterton speaks about Christianity in Orthodoxy.... like when the man who got lost in sea off the coast of England.... discovers England once again. It was strange and weird.
Though the priesthood has been the bulk of my discernment, I've also been thinking about film production, writing, and even becoming a brother (the Christian Brothers sorta run my school), but I keep coming back to the Eucharist and the liturgy and finding home again (again and again and again).[/quote]

That is an awesome story. I :love: the Liturgy of the Hours as well... the psalms speak to the depths of my heart like nothing else. How much longer do you have in high school? The Salesians have brothers and they are great... the brothers have always been the ones that I have been close with and they saw me through a lot of difficult times. I have a soft spot for them. :blush:

TheOliverOrder88

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1286428' date='Jun 2 2007, 12:47 AM']That is an awesome story. I :love: the Liturgy of the Hours as well... the psalms speak to the depths of my heart like nothing else. How much longer do you have in high school? The Salesians have brothers and they are great... the brothers have always been the ones that I have been close with and they saw me through a lot of difficult times. I have a soft spot for them. :blush:[/quote]

Well, I just finished high school. I will be entering the seminary in the fall.

Its kinda funny. I got involved in vocation work at my school and came across some brothers, but honestly besides one or two, I haven't really got to know many. Even the ones I did get to know (one taught me German, the other taught me English) were not very talkative. We even joked that the brother who taught us German, taught without saying a word. I saw so many problems due to our lack of brothers and wanted to fill the void. I realized that I can't do everything and be everyone. Even through that realization, every now and then, I think maybe God is leading me that direction. Then again, as I mentioned the Liturgy of the Eucharist calls me back.

P.S. There was some brother who ended up becoming a martyr, I forget his name, who was first interested in the priesthood, then eventually became a Christian Brother. The teachers at my school mentioned him alot and I found to love his story.

philosophette

Well, it seems all three of us on this forum are entering formation this fall! That is awesome.

If you do not become a brother, you can always encourage vocations to the brotherhood. I feel like they are kind of being neglected as a vocation with all of the attention given to the priesthood... plus people tend to see it as a form of "failed priesthood" which is SO SAD as the brothers are usually so wonderful. The Salesian brothers are anything but quiet... haha... they are very funny. Although there are not a lot of them, they do have a strong presence in the province and make a big difference wherever they go.

God bless you in your discernment! :saint:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Here is my vocation story sort of:

[url="http://pdf.vocation-network.org/pp48-93-MediaReview-Priests-Sisters.pdf"]A 20-Something Begins Monastic Life[/url]

I think it's on page 15 of the PDF, or something like that.

Edited by Sr. Mary Catharine

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1286426' date='Jun 2 2007, 01:40 AM']Umm... lighten up a little bit, :annoyed: I think that Adam meant to indicate that the priest was teasing him about the going to hell part, but also approaching the subject of a vocation at the same time... :)

In a less new-agey sense people throw around the concept of aura all the time as a "vibe" they get from someone - that is what was meant (not a glowing orange halo thingy). We must try to not be so quick to see evil everywhere... :rolleyes:[/quote]

I see... I've heard some weird things (especially from Catholics), so it's hard to know if people are serious or joking.

Still, I don't understand what this "vibe" thing is? How do you know if you have the "vibe?" A good number of people have asked me if I'm thinking about the priesthood (even before I was Catholic, my aunt suggested it), but they only ask me because I'm a nice, religious guy. That doesn't mean I would make a good priest. :)

Edited by LouisvilleFan

philosophette

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1286861' date='Jun 2 2007, 09:24 PM']I see... I've heard some weird things (especially from Catholics), so it's hard to know if people are serious or joking.

Still, I don't understand what this "vibe" thing is? How do you know if you have the "vibe?" A good number of people have asked me if I'm thinking about the priesthood (even before I was Catholic, my aunt suggested it), but they only ask me because I'm a nice, religious guy. That doesn't mean I would make a good priest. :)[/quote]

Yeah I can understand that; I've heard my share of really bizzare things. *oh, look, the Virgin Mary in a chocolate chip cookie!* <_<

Well, the call to the priesthood/religious life is also expressed through the Church as the mystical body of Christ, so if people are asking you if you have ever thought about the priesthood, maybe you should, but that does not mean that you should enter the priesthood if you feel no call to it yourself. I would be flattered that people feel that you would be a good candidate for it! :cool:

I do not know about knowing if you have the "vibe"... I guess it is just a "feeling" that people sometimes get (intuition, inspiration of the Holy Spirit, hint from the guardian angels... or whatever) and express to others. It does not mean that it is always right, but I think in Adam's case, the people expressed something to him (a call to the priesthood) and it resonated with something within his heart that perhaps he had never listen to before, or even thought about... so it inspired him to discern it.

I hope that is a little more clear. : ^_^

ofpheritup

Let's see my vocation story....thinking here...thinking. <_<

Okay, I have it.
This is how I "knew" :rolleyes: I was called to the vocation of marriage. This story may be a little unique, at least I think so. I was visiting a religious community and I was sitting in their chapel. Dad aka: God and I were discussing how the visit was going. I knew the community wasn't for me so I was thinking about other communities I had lined up.

I was expecting to go home and contact other communities when Dad asked me to consider getting re-married, I am thinking "you mean like to a man :shock: " I said, "Uh Dad I'm becoming a sister, I want to be a sister."
He said, "Have I got the guy for you." We argued back and forth. :annoyed: Yes I am that dumb.

Short story shorter, I was married in December 2006. He is my best friend and we are spoiling each other rotten.
We have on the "back of our front door" our "Marriage Mission Statement." We read it before we leave the house, whenever we leave the house.

I was called to the vocation of marriage in a way I wasn't looking for and really didn't want.
I am glad that I came to my senses and trusted that Dad knew what was best for me.