An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations Delayed By Debt

sismaria

I know of at least one women's community that is willing to work with women who have educational loan debt and a candidate does not have to wait to enter until all loans are paid off. I knew of a woman who joined the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (RSCJ) after finishing her PhD in theology and they made some arrangements about her debt- not that they paid it all off, but that they would pay on her loans monthly. I think there was some provision if she left during formation that she would have to pay them back, but she stayed at least through first vows and I think is till with them, teaching at a Catholic college. Sorry to say, I don't know the details...

It's interesting to note that men's communities will allow men to enter and then pay fully for their undergraduate and seminary educations while they are in formation. Does anyone know whether they have to pay that back if they leave during formation? But I think that the guys who are going for diocesan priesthood are responsible for their own educational costs (maybe the dioceses help some, but I don't think it's a full ride). A diocesan priest once commented to me about still paying on his loans from graduate school and he had been ordained for 15 years. I remember being surprised!

I think my debt problem is different than most that I've seen posted here.

Ok -- initially when I started to discern religious life I was worried about my college debt. That totalled at least $25,000 (between loans and direct debt to the school). So I started to pay that off. When I was ready to consider the first religious community (I never entered postulancy with them, only candidacy) I was a few thousand shy of the mark.

By the time I was ready to enter the 2nd community -- I was completely debt free and had worked very hard to stay that way. My only debt at the time was the car -- and that was a lease which by God's providence was to end in two months so I was able to pay the two months and get out of the car.

Now its different for my entrance into a 3rd community -- I have a car that I still owe on (selling it should offset that debt). I also incurred a series of debts once I left the convent because I pretty much ran out of money (I had some savings but all of that went in order to get into an apartment). I needed to get business clothes (more money spent).

At one point I thought I wasn't entering -- so I decided to furnish the apartment ... that was more money spent. I nearly brought a $250,000 house (thank God the whole thing fell through due to greed on the seller's part). Then there's my music ministry which started to take off -- I needed to by the amplifiers, mikes, PA system and the works. More money (and that went onto the credit card).

Then my mom got ill and passed away -- those trips and associated expenses (for three of us) went onto the credit card. The furniture that I was to sell went to my sister who is in the middle of a divorce. And I do have some medical expenses (not major, but it is a couple of thousand).

The debt 100% frustrates me -- because for my 1st entrance (the 2nd community) not only did I have everything paid off, I had money in the bank in case of having to reestablish myself. It was in the US as well -- so my plane fare wasn't too expensive (plus someone else generously offered to get me home). I'm from a poor family so it's not as simple as asking mom and dad or sis to take on the debt (besides both of my parents have passed away).

Now, I've got to deal with a $1100+ round trip airfare (don't try pricing it one way -- its outrageous). Assume a similar cost to get me home. And the accumulated debt.

I have been paying it off ... but the frustration comes from having the desire to be there now (and having the community waiting for me; i.e. if I had the money to pay the debt today then I'd be on the 1st available flight out of the US).

What's left (I think) on my part is to get my nerves up (and swallow my pride) to ask for permission to just start asking for donations at the parish. I hesitate doing that because I do have a high paying job ... I just can't get that debt down enough (and things start happening to get in the way -- I just had my car break down ... that plus normal maintenance and there's another $700 out the window). I can guarantee that within 2 years that debt will definitely be paid off -- and I'm hoping its more like 6 months - 1 year (if things don't keep happening). Its just frustrating that I didn't run into this community the 1st time I entered (when I was debt free before entering); or that I didn't know about this community when I left the 1st time (when I had nothing but owed nothing).

ugh.

You know what would be wonderful -- an organization that can connect sponsors to those who have formal acceptance to a community. Sponsors are those who are willing to take on the debt (either via a special loan, or direct payment of the debt). Conditions to the candidate is that if they get to final profession then the debt is completely forgiven; if they don't then they have to reincur the debt (once they reestablish themselves in a reasonable timeframe). The amount of the debt to reincur could be reduced depending on the number of years they stayed in religious life/formation (i.e. to leave in 3 months is different than leaving right before final profession). The nature of the debt shouldn't matter (it could have been taken on for good reasons, or sheer money mismanagement on the part of the candidate) -- what should matter is that the candidate is really serious about entering religious life, and that an Institute for religious life (or seiminary) has accepted the candidate and has the room for them to enter ASAP/next entrance date.

Its just a dream.

:-) Thanks Sr. Maria for asking. Just keep us in your prayers.

Edited by cmariadiaz

Another idea might be to have a place where people could work off their debts but have free room and board so that the money they earn could go completely toward the debt and it could be paid off more quickly.

A problem with debt is that sometimes people don't know how to be frugal and sometimes deny themselves in order to minimize debt. I know someone who had a large college debt ($36,000) and yet went to World Youth Day in Germany, spent a summer at a Christian leadership program which cost money rather than made it. Even holy things can sometimes be put off and it is a very virtuous form of self-denial. Wouldn't we all love to be at World Youth Day? But sometimes we have to say no to ourselves. Unfortunately, it is only after realizing how hard it is to pay off a loan that people begin to make more frugal choices.

Philosobrat, I'm so glad God provided for you and your family so that you can enter soon. I'll pray for you and your family as your entrance day grows closer.

there are actually very few communities who accept people with debt! However sometimes it depends on the debt whether or not the canidate can be accepted!

My post simply indicated that I was aware of one community that had accepted someone with debt.

I think one of the considerations that allows an active community any option at all is that their sisters will be making salaries that contribute to the community's resources, so obviously contemplative communities or those communities who have apostolates that cannot generate much in terms of salary would be unable to consider candidates with debt.

[quote name='Graciela' post='1284646' date='May 30 2007, 09:23 PM']It's interesting to note that men's communities will allow men to enter and then pay fully for their undergraduate and seminary educations while they are in formation. Does anyone know whether they have to pay that back if they leave during formation? But I think that the guys who are going for diocesan priesthood are responsible for their own educational costs (maybe the dioceses help some, but I don't think it's a full ride). A diocesan priest once commented to me about still paying on his loans from graduate school and he had been ordained for 15 years. I remember being surprised![/quote]
The English speaking Catholic community of our diocese has an organization, [url="http://www.pillarstrust.com/Beneficiaries.htm"]Pillars Trust Fund, that, among other things, pays for the education of our seminarians.[/url] I don't know if the French speaking side of the diocese has something comparable to it.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='farglefeezlebut' post='1284382' date='May 30 2007, 08:31 PM']I think Uk debts are different though, because if you have zero income (as nuns do) then you don't have to pay. UK students only have to pay beack 9% of their annual earnings over £15k (for 25 years after graduating or until your debt is repaid, whichever comes first) so if you don't have any income, no-one will demand that you pay off your debts.[/quote]

Not being obliged at that moment in time to pay off a debt is not the same as being financially solvent (i.e., not having any debts).

PP