An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations Delayed By Debt

sismaria

Until I got on phatmass I never realized what a problem debts are in delaying a vocation. I was just wondering how many of you are out there who desire to enter religious life who must first work off a debt. I was blessed to have parents who could pay for my college costs, although that was a while back when tuition was less expensive and I went to a public college. But many people don't have that situation...especially if parents are pleased about a vocation, they don't want to help it happen by helping with loans. thanks for sharing...Sister Maria

puellapaschalis

*raises her hand*

Furthermore, UK student debts are at least comparable with those in the USA (certainly now, as students face top-up fees) and there are no organisations or charities comparable to those you find in the US that will help with debts.

PP

Chiquitunga

There was an article about this a couple months ago in one of the Catholic newspapers we get .. either National Catholic Register, Our Sunday Visitor, or one of those. It was about how college debt is killing vocations ..

I was for one year in college and then withdrew once I felt the Lord was calling me to religious life. Fortunately, my parents were very supportive of my decision. The different Mother Superiors of the orders I first started looking into at that point also encouraged me to focus on discernment now instead of remain in college. I was so thankful for their advice, since it helped my parents understand much better too. A college degree is not necessary for a vocation to the cloistered life. And seriously, staying for the Spring semester in college that year was like pulling teeth for me!

[quote name='sismaria' post='1284212' date='May 30 2007, 10:06 AM']Until I got on phatmass I never realized what a problem debts are in delaying a vocation. I was just wondering how many of you are out there who desire to enter religious life who must first work off a debt. I was blessed to have parents who could pay for my college costs, although that was a while back when tuition was less expensive and I went to a public college. But many people don't have that situation...especially if parents are pleased about a vocation, they don't want to help it happen by helping with loans. thanks for sharing...Sister Maria[/quote]
That's me. I was blessed with parents who paid for four years of Catholic undergrad. :graduate: (My family had a "we pay for four years and that's it" rule.) And then God called me to graduate school (to study theology)... and this is very much the right place for me. :book: And I have no doubt that God is working on my heart (and the hearts of others) while I'm here. I'm roughly halfway through with my degree (96 credit hours total) and would have to look at [i]at least [/i]one year of full-time employment, along with benefactors, to wipe out my debt before I could enter anywhere. :pray: I consider myself fortunate that I have as little debt as I do. It could be MUCH higher.

So... yeah...

I right now am looking at attending Franciscan University of Steubenville, which i know that my parents cannot fully afford. I know that I'm going to have loans to pay back. I just hope they arent too extreme, in case i do feel called to the convent right out of high school.

Chiquitunga

Okay, it was the [i]National Catholic Register[/i] that had the article. Here it is in pdf - [url="http://fundforvocations.org/images/Debt_Vocation_Killer.pdf"]Debt, the Vocation Killer[/url]

Chiquitunga

I don't mean to say though that those continuing with college are doing the wrong thing or anything though. I just meant for me, it was not good. I was at quite a liberal place too, with many unorthodox events/teachers .. :( So it was so great to get out of there!! I don't regret it for an instant!

I'll also add that undergrad debt is a *huge* challenge to those who feel called to work in the Church and/or study theology/ministry (in addition to those discerning a vocation to religious life).

There used to be a thread called something like "the broke daughters of St Dominic" but i havent seen it around lately. There's lots of affected people here.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1284321' date='May 30 2007, 12:19 PM']There used to be a thread called something like "the broke daughters of St Dominic" but i havent seen it around lately. There's lots of affected people here.[/quote]
[b][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=56009&hl="]Broke Daughters of St. Dominic[/url][/b]

cathoholic_anonymous

I will have some debt, but hopefully nothing too extreme, as my parents saved diligently for my college years and I was able to contribute something myself. I've been lucky.

I do not know whether God will ask me to capitalise on that good fortune and enter straight out of Cambridge, though. For one thing, I'm not sure if the right community has presented itself yet. I'm waiting. And listening. And right now I want to wait and listen with ginger cake, so off I go to the shop...

farglefeezlebut

I think Uk debts are different though, because if you have zero income (as nuns do) then you don't have to pay. UK students only have to pay beack 9% of their annual earnings over £15k (for 25 years after graduating or until your debt is repaid, whichever comes first) so if you don't have any income, no-one will demand that you pay off your debts.

Debt is something that is taken seriously! However I have never had that problem but now since I am not in school, i see it as a problem and I am working on staying out of debt but with the gas prices these days...it is rather hard to do so!

philosophette

[quote]From the Article:

At Christendom, the college has always had a policy that if a graduate takes final vows with an order that has canonical status
with the Catholic Church, his loan will be canceled. Magdalen has
policy, while not official, has helped to defer and forgive loans on a case-by-case basis. Both Christendom and Magdalen
are able to do so because they do not receive federal funds and are able to make their own loans.
"As a lay organization, we have been tithing our 10% through our vocations," said Tom McFadden,
director of admissions at Christendom. "Its the idea that if we take care of God, he will take care of us."
To date, approximately 60 men and 40 women alumni of Christendom have entered religious
life. Magdalen has seen approximately 30 religious vocations
among its graduates.[/quote]

That is great that they do that. If I had known that I might have planned to attend Christendom. At least then I would not feel so afraid of being denied my dream of entering religious life with each semester loan bill!

Loans were a huge burden to my dreams. Although mine were a small amount compared to most people ($3900) my family was teetering on the edge of losing their home, and bill collectors called every day. My dad had almost died in a car accident two years before and then he lost his job. With the outsourcing of so many US companies, his line of work was hard to come by and we lived off of food pantry donations for those two years. I worked full time but it went to my family and towards not amassing any more school debt. It was a horrible weight on my mind once I realized that God was calling NOW, not tomorrow or a year from now. It did not fit into how I had planned my life at all!

After a lot of prayer and trying to figure out what to do, I decided to enlist help from donors, but where I live its very rural in spots and like most college students who find themselves moving a lot, I did not know of anyone off of the top of my head who could help me. The internet gave me a medium for telling people about my need... and they really responded!

I got some of the nastiest emails from people telling me that I was "lazy" for not working the debt off myself (I was working!! I was able to put $50 at a time towards it and ended up putting $800 ish towards it myself). I got emails and comments telling me that one should not beg for money for student loans.. that God would "wait" for me while I worked it off. ugh. I did not PLAN on entering religious life when it came to be... and now I have 2 months before I go in. I was supposed to be moving into Chicago and was accepted into a prestigious university! I was successful on so many fronts... I did not ever EVER think God would call when he did. I had actually given up all hope of entering... it was NOt my idea, but I could hardly say No.

Another factor that is not discussed is HOW MUCH money it costs to buy the plane ticket and clothing that you need for entering (and other items they ask for). Most orders want you to have some money saved for the first 1-2 yrs for personal expenses, clothing, plane tickets, and things that you need. (although if you are in need the Salesians will take care of you, but you really have to try to save money - everyone does their part and I know that the girls I am entering with have all agreed to help one another if we need it... its wonderful to have sisters!).

I am going to be OK. I had so much help from people on the internet in terms of raising money to pay off my loans. I was able to save money to enter with, as well. (Not much... but some... and I did some work for the Sisters to earn money for entering... ). I am so relieved... and it is true --- if God is calling you NOW he WILL work out a way to get you there. :saint:

I was not sure it would work out when I started ... but it has... and God is a much more provident Father than we can even imagine!

There is a story about how Don Bosco did not have enough bread to feed all of the boys at his Oratory... and they were really hungry! There were over 500 of them and he had less than 100 rolls. He said a prayer and then turned to Bl Michael Rua and said, "Ok... put what you can into the basket and God will see to the rest."Don Bosco ended up being able to feed all of those boys and have left overs!

I think that is how we have to look at our needs... we do what we can and if we have faith in God it will all work out... sometimes he is only waiting for us to ask.

Edited by philosobrat