An Old School Catholic Message Board

Out Of Your Comfort Zone Into Something Radical...

Marieteresa

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1278717' date='May 21 2007, 06:36 PM']Howdy folks....been lurking about the past few months and I wanted to ask you guys how do you get out of your comfort zone. Seriously if you had to do something life changing and leave your current life behind and follow Christ into the unknown would you have the strength to do it? Like if something you desired for so long finally happened and now you have to leave everything you know would you do it even though you haven't the foggiest clue about where you would be in 6 months? Just wondering what you guys thought about this....

Thanks[/quote]

Well, if you have children, life has a way of thrusting you out of your comfort zone many times over. Not just the expected adjustments as you add children to the family, but as you have to learn how to raise each child according to his/her temperament. After having 2 "easy" kids, God gave us a son with ADHD, a learning disability, and a defiant temperament. This was a hard kid to raise, and there obviously was no way back into my comfort zone. There's more to this story than I need to tell here, but I have grown in compassion, humility, empathy for those kids with behavior disorders and their families, and I was able to use my experience to advocate for them in our school district for learning and disciplinary adaptations. Had I not been yanked out of my comfort zone, I would have continued to be rather smug and judgemental of people with less than perfect kids.
Moral of story: you can grow tremendously as a Christian if you allow God to take you to places you might not choose for yourself.