An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment And The Navy

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

So I've been discerning a call to the religious life about two years now, with varying intensity, but very intensely the past several months. I live in Nashville and pray with the Nashville Dominicans several times throughout my time here and have spent several afternoons with sisters in the novitiate and talking with Sr. Mary Emily, their Vocation Director. I feel very called to become a sister, and even very specifically to their order. I feel like I'm a Dominican at heart!

My issue is that I am in the middle of college and am also committed to sevice in the Navy, as I'm in Navy ROTC. Uncle Sam is paying my way through a very expensive Vanderbilt University education, and I owe the Navy at least four years after graduation. This means I basically have six years until I could be free to pursue my vocation. I do feel very called to military service, and have since I was a little girl. But, I'm trying to figure out why God would be pulling so intensely at my heart when I'm clearly a long time away from being able to enter.

I've thought of explanations, like God is maybe just trying to teach me patience. My spiritual director has mentioned that maybe our Lord has things He would like me to see or experience through my naval service that would help me in my vocation. Also, I know my parents would be very against me entering the religious life, thinking it would be a waste of my life. So I know their hearts might need this time to soften to Christ's love.

One of my dear friends gave me wonderful advice: "What is six years compared to eternity?"

I just wanted to know what you all thought, I know you are a very wonderful group full of great advice.

ThyHolyLove

First off I have to say that I totally admire you doing Navy ROTC :clap: I think what your friend said was really good to keep in mind, however hard and frustrating it might be! Also, know that you are not alone. Sr. Angela (postulant) of the Sisters of Life entered after 10 years in the Navy. Also, Sr. Donna Moses of the Dominicans of Mission San Jose was a Navy Reserve Officer while also being a sister. When she retired, she gave her officers' sword to her prioress as a sign of respect and fidelity.

[url="http://www.msjdominicans.org/pages/LeadingTwoLives.pdf"]here[/url] is Sr. Donna's story.

From my personal experience, I've been discerning for about 6 years but couldn't contact any communities because my dad was jewish and I didn't want to start drama at home. Those years of waiting were very hard, but I just let myself grow in prayer and love for God. Your experience with the Nashville Dominicans is great! Definately take advantage of being so close to them! I also think your experince in the Navy will help you in religious life; just think of the similarities! Rising early, having a set schedule, wearing a specific uniform, being accountable, having responsibility for others......

I know it's not easy, but remember you always have the pham behind ya!

With your time spent at Nashville, have you spoken at all to Sr. Brigid Christi? I'm 99% sure she had gone to the Naval Academy. I don't have the old newsletters with me, but I'll try to look it up when I have a moment.

HeavenlyCalling

Is it possible that you can attened summer and vacation trianing, which can cut down on the accual time you spend in the military? I had a marine friend who did that, so by the time they left college they only had four of their six years left to serve. It is at least worth checking out.

Mary-Kathryn

The military will teach you discipline, service, sacrifice, and being one of a team. You will do what you don't want to do, do what you never thought you would, and experience all kinds of things. Sounds like very good training ground for religious life. Vocation directors will love you :)

Maybe you'll get lucky enough to be stationed in Italy. How cool would that be? Please know that four years will absolutely fly by. My hubby was in for 22. Also think about what good you maybe able to do wherever you are. There's always chaplains strained to the max. I bet they would welcome someone with your calling as a helping hand!

It'll go fast--then you will be a postulant one day!

You have an obligation to the Navy and one you need to honor. What kind of person would you be(and this is the rhetorical you, not really you)if you did not complete a job that was started? Certainly would not say much for a person's character.
Tough it out. You will have many worlds open up to you and alot of adventure. The whole time you can be nurturing your prayer life, and preparing your heart for further service. 6 years sounds like an eternity, but let me reassure you, it will just fly by.
My prayers join yours.

ofpheritup

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1274930' date='May 16 2007, 06:53 AM']The military will teach you discipline, service, sacrifice, and being one of a team. You will do what you don't want to do, do what you never thought you would, and experience all kinds of things. Sounds like very good training ground for religious life. Vocation directors will love you :)

Maybe you'll get lucky enough to be stationed in Italy. How cool would that be? Please know that four years will absolutely fly by. My hubby was in for 22. Also think about what good you maybe able to do wherever you are. There's always chaplains strained to the max. I bet they would welcome someone with your calling as a helping hand!

It'll go fast--then you will be a postulant one day![/quote]
ABSOLUTELY.....the time will fly by.

You will be amazed to realize one day when you wake up that, that time is gone.
I was in the Army for 5 years, my husband for 20.

I agree with Mary Kathryn especially with what she has written in her first paragraph.
In the military you will be serving with all types of people from all around the world and so you will learn to get along.
The religious life is a "small world" comprised of many personalities and temperments.

You will learn in the Navy to do so many things that you didn't know you could. You will be challenged.

Spiritually the Navy can be considered a "mission field."

You will meet people in every spiritual condition you can imagine.
Relating to them and trying to "bring God" to them will be GREAT practice for when you become a religious.
You will find rather quickly the major components of religious life can be found in the military life.

My advice is Salesian..."Bloom where you are planted." Take each day at a time, take each person at a time. Celebrate God as you meet Him in His children, wherever you (and they) may be. God is as much in the Navy as anywhere else. You are not putting Him on hold.

Edited by ofpheritup

AlterDominicus

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' post='1274607' date='May 15 2007, 10:59 PM']First off I have to say that I totally admire you doing Navy ROTC :clap: I think what your friend said was really good to keep in mind, however hard and frustrating it might be! Also, know that you are not alone. Sr. Angela (postulant) of the Sisters of Life entered after 10 years in the Navy. Also, Sr. Donna Moses of the Dominicans of Mission San Jose was a Navy Reserve Officer while also being a sister. When she retired, she gave her officers' sword to her prioress as a sign of respect and fidelity.

[url="http://www.msjdominicans.org/pages/LeadingTwoLives.pdf"]here[/url] is Sr. Donna's story.[/quote]

WELL that story inspired me! :lol: Alot of the pham doesnt know this, sorry guys but I am an uber [forgive me SMME for my Spanish. :hehe: ] mucho grande FAN and ADMIRER of the Military, particularly Navy and the Cadets. I've wanted to join sooooooooooooooooooooooo badly, but I have asthma. *sigh* *shrug* :lol:

AlterDominicus,
Johnny B Girl
+

One other thing to consider. The hardest thing about monastic life is not the long hours of prayer or the vows its the fact that you live with the same people 24x7x365. Thats what I keep being told, anyway. For example, there's no "calling in sick". If you don't show up for one of the Hours, someone goes looking for you! That was my experience when I accidently slept through tierce one day :embarassed grin:

Mind you, the crew complement of a navy ship is going to be an order of magnitude or two more than what you'll find in a monastic setting, and an f-16 is going to be a bit noisier than say Grand Silence would be in Cloister. On the other hand, the aerage monastery is not going to be as cramped as the average nuclear sub. But still, you'll have to get along with people in close quarters for extended periods of time. Once you start a noviciate somewhere, you will already have 5 years experience in the most practically difficult part of monastic life.

be_thou_my_vision

Keeping all that is said in mind, bring it all to prayer, and follow what you think God is calling you to do. So if you really think he is calling you to religious life NOW, then you should do that.
I would say if you were 50/50, fulfill your duties first.
Ask the Holy Spirit to guide your spiritual director and Sister Mary Emily, and take their advice.

ofpheritup

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1275258' date='May 16 2007, 05:18 PM']Keeping all that is said in mind, bring it all to prayer, and follow what you think God is calling you to do. So if you really think he is calling you to religious life NOW, then you should do that.
I would say if you were 50/50, fulfill your duties first.
Ask the Holy Spirit to guide your spiritual director and Sister Mary Emily, and take their advice.[/quote]

You may want to ask the Navy what they think.

According to your statement, "and I owe the Navy at least four years after graduation" you have given your word and they have given their money. You have both made a committment to each other.

The committment you have made to the Navy will prepare you for your vows to God.
What is 4/6 years compared to eternity?

Our youngest son is currently halfway through his 4 year enlistment; it has matured him beyond our wildest expectations and we can't believe how the time has flown by. I concur with the majority here that the experience will be invaluable for religious life. And yes, the Navy will expect you to fulfill your commitiment. God bless!

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='ofpheritup' post='1275265' date='May 16 2007, 05:30 PM']You may want to ask the Navy what they think.

According to your statement, "and I owe the Navy at least four years after graduation" you have given your word and they have given their money. You have both made a committment to each other.

The committment you have made to the Navy will prepare you for your vows to God.
What is 4/6 years compared to eternity?[/quote]
This is a very good point!

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Such incredible words from all of you. You are wonderful!

I will continue to pray and I appreciate everything you all have said. It has really helped bring some clarity to my mind. I will no doubt finish my commitment with the Navy, and I will use all my experiences and bring them with me when the day comes that I enter the convent! Any more opinions or words of advice would still be much appreciated.

I love my pham! :D: