An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Just Got Back From Giving A Vocation Talk

philosophette

philosophette

I think I found a talent that I did not know that I had. :topsy:

Here i[url="http://intothedeep.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/high-school-visit/"]s my blog [/url]about it.

Has anyone else ever had to speak about religious life to a group? Any tips or anything that you found worked especially well with young people?

thanks! :bluesbrother:

Ora et Labora

that's cool you got to do something like that! :cool: i don't think i would do well enough...yet. ^_^

cathoholic_anonymous

I've never had to give a formal talk to young people, but I've given several accidental ones. :) A parent at a dyspraxia conference where I was the leading speaker asked me what I planned to do after university. I told her. There was much confusion and some excitement in the room after I had given my presentation, with about seven parents and their teenagers all avidly asking questions. My Catholic radar told me that at least two of them were Catholics, but the others definitely weren't. All the information that I had given on dyspraxia was bypassed for the little snippet on religious life.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1270219' date='May 10 2007, 04:18 PM']I think I found a talent that I did not know that I had. :topsy:

Here i[url="http://intothedeep.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/high-school-visit/"]s my blog [/url]about it.

Has anyone else ever had to speak about religious life to a group? Any tips or anything that you found worked especially well with young people?

thanks! :bluesbrother:[/quote]

I love giving talks and speaking, [haha, I only did one talk] My youth minister asked me if I wanted to talk about my conversion story and what the Easter Vigil was like, and without knowing, I automatically said, and was fine until the next Sunday came, and I was like, "UH-OH!" [because I was soooooooooooooo shy!!!!] Well I ended up giving the talk and I started with a prayer to our Holy Father Saint Dominic [the Dominican one for you "Sales-man"] About half way through, I was so comfortable, and I got so many compliments, and postive reactions at the end, I wish I could give another talk, I've been dying to, hey Philo maybe you could ask Sister C if I could give a talk on any subject the Sisters would like!?! :lol:

philosophette

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1270289' date='May 10 2007, 05:31 PM']I've never had to give a formal talk to young people, but I've given several accidental ones. :) A parent at a dyspraxia conference where I was the leading speaker asked me what I planned to do after university. I told her. There was much confusion and some excitement in the room after I had given my presentation, with about seven parents and their teenagers all avidly asking questions. My Catholic radar told me that at least two of them were Catholics, but the others definitely weren't. All the information that I had given on dyspraxia was bypassed for the little snippet on religious life.[/quote]

Catholic radar.... :biglol:

That is really cool. I love the random "nun confessions". I did one at the music store when I went to buy a guitar tuner... and it turned into a 45 min talk about religious life.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1270340' date='May 10 2007, 06:31 PM']I love giving talks and speaking, [haha, I only did one talk] My youth minister asked me if I wanted to talk about my conversion story and what the Easter Vigil was like, and without knowing, I automatically said, and was fine until the next Sunday came, and I was like, "UH-OH!" [because I was soooooooooooooo shy!!!!] Well I ended up giving the talk and I started with a prayer to our Holy Father Saint Dominic [the Dominican one for you "Sales-man"] About half way through, I was so comfortable, and I got so many compliments, and postive reactions at the end, I wish I could give another talk, I've been dying to, hey Philo maybe you could ask Sister C if I could give a talk on any subject the Sisters would like!?! :lol:[/quote]

Well I am sure the Sisters would love to hear your conversion story. :rap: :bigclap:

Dude... who is St Dominic .... ? :bigthink:

OHHHH.... St Dominic..... yeah..... we took that name and made it Salesian! haha.
:punk:

Just kidding.... ^_^

AlterDominicus

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1270369' date='May 10 2007, 06:48 PM']Well I am sure the Sisters would love to hear your conversion story. :rap: :bigclap:

Dude... who is St Dominic .... ? :bigthink:

OHHHH.... St Dominic..... yeah..... we took that name and made it Salesian! haha.
:punk:

Just kidding.... ^_^[/quote]

Yeahhhhhhhhhh right, you stole Saint Dominic and made it into Savio, Savvy? :heh: :hehehe: ^_^

TotusTuusMaria

[center]J.M.J.[/center]

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1270219' date='May 10 2007, 04:18 PM']I think I found a talent that I did not know that I had. :topsy:

thanks! :bluesbrother:[/quote]

Did you come up with the ideas of writing the words on the board and the format for the discussion? I'm impressed! Very creative.

It sounds like the kids had a wonderful time and learned a lot. I really liked that blog entry. Sounds to me like God used you in a very special way today!

God bless you!

In Jesus and Mary,
Marie

I gave a talk about my vocation once, I really enjoyed it. But I think the kids found me boring.

+

You'll get better as time goes. Just remember to keep it short -attention span is limited-, make it interactive e.g. ask questions and have them brain storm and write things down for a few minutes, use props, use a white board or chalkboard if you can. Also, don't be afraid to use multi-media e.g. a short movie clip that inspired you or a song and consider handing out a favorite prayer card or holy card before you leave. IOW engage the senses and be socratic.

philosophette

[quote name='Veritas' post='1270918' date='May 11 2007, 01:23 AM']+

You'll get better as time goes. Just remember to keep it short -attention span is limited-, make it interactive e.g. ask questions and have them brain storm and write things down for a few minutes, use props, use a white board or chalkboard if you can. Also, don't be afraid to use multi-media e.g. a short movie clip that inspired you or a song and consider handing out a favorite prayer card or holy card before you leave. IOW engage the senses and be socratic.[/quote]

Great ideas. :)

[quote name='Staretz' post='1270993' date='May 11 2007, 04:53 AM']I am glad your talk went well, philosobrat :)[/quote]

Thanks, Staretz (cool name! I know what it means.... are you Byzantine?)

Ukrainian Catholic actually, but i go to the RC Cathedral Basilica here in Ottawa; Notre Dame. I am also making an observership to Christ in the Desert in late July. if I join and perservere, the abbot will apparently have to get permission from the ukrainian catholic eparch (bishop) of the diocese I was baptised in because taking vows changes rites. but, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

philosophette

[quote name='Staretz' post='1271097' date='May 11 2007, 10:22 AM']Ukrainian Catholic actually, but i go to the RC Cathedral Basilica here in Ottawa; Notre Dame. I am also making an observership to Christ in the Desert in late July. if I join and perservere, the abbot will apparently have to get permission from the ukrainian catholic eparch (bishop) of the diocese I was baptised in because taking vows changes rites. but, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it![/quote]

That is cool. I have been to some Uki churches here in Chicago. I considered becoming Byzantine but after I learned that it would cause red tape for entering a Roman Rite order, I figured that it was just easier to stay Roman.

How long is the observership at CoD? (Their show was great!)

An observership is one month. for us chronologically enhanced folks, they like to see more than one observership usually. As it turns out, the vocations director thinks I am a fine monk already. but i want to go back and live that life again. it may be a few years before i can join yet.

philosophette

More than anything else discernment has made me realize how impatient I am with God. lol.

Does the monastery of CoD have any Eastern influences?