An Old School Catholic Message Board

Community Of Jesus

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

Does anyone know who they are? I have a book of hours they put together (it's like a simplified version of the divine office) but I don't know who they are! Pre-thanks to everyone. ;) God bless!

--Kristina

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1266347' date='May 6 2007, 10:08 PM']Does anyone know who they are? I have a book of hours they put together (it's like a simplified version of the divine office) but I don't know who they are! Pre-thanks to everyone. ;) God bless!

--Kristina[/quote]

[url="http://www.paracletepress.com/nstore/store.php?ID=0&page=about"]HERE[/url]

I've heard various things about them. Both positive and negative.
They are the ones who also put out the great chant CD's. We've been selling them in our gift shop and Sr. bought a set for us for the refectory. (We listen to music on Sundays and feast days for supper.)

They are an ecumenical community on the Cape in Massachusetts. They have vowed members (men and women) and families as well. They are Benedictine. I do not whether they have any Roman Catholic members or not. There founders were Episcopalian laywomen.

Their web site is www.communityofjesus.org. I met one of their members at a conference- she was selling their books and music.

Ora et Labora

ohh thanks, both of you. yah, i thought they were questionable. :mellow: so, is it ok to pray from they're prayer book?

Ora et Labora

a lot of there stuff is catholic too!! and they're benedictine...but not catholic? i'm confused. lol

puellapaschalis

In the last century, century and a half, say, the idea of monasticism has caught hold somewhat in non-Catholic communities; in the UK there are a few Anglican monasteries, both Benedictine and Cistercian (at least I'm pretty sure about the latter), and there are certainly communities in the more Calvinistic Protestant communities here which have monastic leanings. Benedict's Rule is inspiring and definitely not confined to Catholicism (although of course it's within Holy Mother Church that it [i]really[/i] takes off ;)).

PP

Here in North America there are a couple anglican/episcopalian benedictine monasteries. there is also, I am told, a lutheran one. That must really make old Martin spin in his grave if true! There also is, or at least used to be, a presbyterian one on the property of St. John's Abbey in minnesota. There was a fad a couple years ago favouring monasticism. I remember once reading a blog article called "remonking the church". I commented on it, saying that the church has not been unmonked in 1700 years! I tried to nudge the contributers to the blog in a benedictine direction, but the blog fizzled out.

Ora et Labora

oh i see. :mellow: so, these protestants started off they're own monasteries huh? their not like ours though, with mass and everything right? this question sounds really stupid. :blush:

cathoholic_anonymous

Anglican monasteries are very similar to Roman Catholic ones, following the same horarium and living out the same monastic spirtuality. They do have a mass, and although it is not a [i]valid[/i] Mass it looks much the same as ours. For this reason I am quite wary of calling 'high' Anglicans Protestants. They define themselves as Anglo-Catholic. I may be incorrect, but as their theology is often in accord with Rome's, with the exception of papal infallibility, I tend to see these Anglicans more as schismatics than as heretics.

HollyDolly
:detective: When Henry the Eigth started the Church of England or Anglican Church,he did not give up going to mass or other catholic practices of his day.That is why they still have mass and honor the Virgin Mary,etc. And yes I would consider them more schismatics than true heretics.
There are Anglican religious orders of women and men in the US as well as England.
The return to religious and monastic life I think started in the early 1800s in England.

puellapaschalis

[i]Some[/i] Anglicans have "Mass" and honour Our Lady, and some do not; [i]some[/i] consider Christ to have left His Church seven sacraments, some only two; [i]some[/i] consider their eucharist to effect transubstantiation (or substantiation), others see it as nothing more than a symbol. The English Reformation was rather distinct in character from that on the Continent and "ended" with the Elizabethan Settlement which effectively made it as Calvinistic as what you found elsewhere. Moreover, the English Church remained like that - militantly, too - until the nineteenth century when a certain clergyman at Oxford brought about the Oxford Movement and was simultaneously lauded and despised by other churchmen of his day. It was only then that the Anglicans started to incorporate things like "bells n smells" into their liturgy without the "Papist Scum!" reflex coming up.

Said clergyman became Catholic. Good ol' Newman.

PP

Ora et Labora

thanks you guys. :) so, which protestants are we talking about? obviously not baptists and maybe others, right? :idontknow:

cathoholic_anonymous

We are not really talking about 'Protestants', but schismatics. The Anglicans who do support and cherish monastic life define themselves as Anglo-Catholic, not Protestant, and many of them hold fast to all Roman Catholic dogma except papal infallibility. Because of this I think of the Anglo-Catholics as schismatic and don't see 'Protestant' as being a helpful or accurate term for them. Schism is an issue of leadership; Protestantism is an issue of major theological dispute. Does that make it any clearer?

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

[quote name='Staretz' post='1266657' date='May 7 2007, 06:21 AM']Here in North America there are a couple anglican/episcopalian benedictine monasteries. there is also, I am told, a lutheran one. That must really make old Martin spin in his grave if true! There also is, or at least used to be, a presbyterian one on the property of St. John's Abbey in minnesota. There was a fad a couple years ago favouring monasticism. I remember once reading a blog article called "remonking the church". I commented on it, saying that the church has not been unmonked in 1700 years! I tried to nudge the contributers to the blog in a benedictine direction, but the blog fizzled out.[/quote]
Here is the [b][url="http://united-episcopal.org/anglican-osb/"]Order of St. Benedict[/url][/b] for the United Episcopal Church of North America.