An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fred Thompson On Hannity & Colmes

kujo

Would you vote for Thompson?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd love to see Thompson-Brownback. But I think, strategically speaking, it would be advantageous for the VP to go to Giuliani. Thompson would bring the sold Republican vote while Giuliani would be able to focus on being the centrist RINO (Republican In Name Only) that he is.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Sort of a loaded question there. I wouldn't choose to vote or not vote for someone based on a couple websites and videos. Lots of candidates so I've gotta narrow it down based on lots of factors.

dairygirl4u2c

as a general rule i'm conservative. i only like someone who makes themselves stand out as not purely conservative. he's decent at that.

he's against abortion, which is very good.
for mccain bill, which i like in terms of effort but as for practicalness i'm not sure about.
he's against gay marriage, but for state's rights so i can dig it.

he's for means testing in medical and social security, which is very important. generally. but it dpends on whether the system is reformed, which it doesn't look like he's made any efforts for that.

he didn't want to increase the minimum wage to even just 5.65 in the late nineties. so apparently he's a simplton there.
he's for drilling in ANWR, which makes absolutely no sense.
he didn't address educational concerns, other than vouchers, which have many down falls.
seems to be for eveything goes in free trade, which i fear means exporting labor.

so all in all, it's up in hte air. i want to see him address social security and health care more than he has. education too. after he defines himself better, then i could go for him if they are conservative positions subdued by liberal tendencies.
otherwise, on balance, he's just another status quo conservative.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Paddington

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1264134' date='May 4 2007, 12:55 PM']Fred Thomas seems like a good change from Mr. Bush.
Reza[/quote]

You're thinking of Fred Thomas, founder of Wendy's. ;)

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1318913' date='Jul 8 2007, 04:16 PM']as a general rule i'm conservative. i only like someone who makes themselves stand out as not purely conservative. he's decent at that.[/quote]
Putting aside the question of Fred Thompson for a second, the truth is there are extremely few "pure conservatives" in national office.

I would like to see more "purely conservative" men in politics, but the compromising nature of politics tends to keep uncompromisingly "pure" conservatives from getting far.

And many Republican politicians campaign by talking a "conservative" talk to win their constituency, but don't really follow through when in office. Many politicians, Rep and Dem alike, tend to be more interested in power and keeping their jobs than being true to their ideals. This often involves compromise with the enemy.

If the G.O.P was filled with dedicated "pure conservatives" there would be a massive downsizing of government, which has not occured. Witness the G.O.P Congress which came into power in the '90s on promises of smaller government, but which has failed to acheive its original goals, voting for spending increases in the Bush years.

The problem with most Republican politicians is not that they're too purely conservative, but that they're not enough so.
A "pure conservative" would stand out from the crowd in politics, and hardly be "status quo."

This said, it seems Fred's definitely talking the right talk on a lot of issues, and is one of the few major candidates who talks about smaller government and states rights, and doesn't see more government programs as the solution to all our problems. I loved what he had to say about gun control.

I still think Brownback is the best on moral issues, yet people seem scared to support him, and the media ignores him (probably in part because he has a scandal-free record, so they don't try to trash him, they just ignore him.)

IrishSalesian

[quote name='kujo' post='1262490' date='May 2 2007, 02:07 PM']Why? Because he's a real Republican?

Us Catholics need to mobilize and not be so pessimistic. If we don't, we'll end up with Giuliani or, even worse, Hillary![/quote]
:bigclap:

I don't trust anyone associated with the show Law and Order. They are guilty of copyright infringement, as the words "Law" and "Order" are trademarked names for the left and right legs of Chuck Norris. :mellow:

No seriously, I'm either voting for Brownback or Thompson. I like that Brownback is participating because he will get more name recognition and he will also bring the abortion issue into the debate. I like, I like.

geetarplayer

I want to see Fred Thompson, Sam Brownback or Ron Paul in the White House. If Giulianni is part of the deal, like as the VP, I'll just grin and bear it, though I'd rather not see him in the White House at all.

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='XIX' post='1324899' date='Jul 11 2007, 10:04 PM']No Rudy, no McCain, no Democrats. None of those will help the pro-life movement. :-P[/quote]
Wait, I don't even remember saying that! And...how did this get bumped to the top?

It was at the top before I posted this.

Farsight one

I would not vote for him for two reasons

1. If he gets through the primaries and goes for president, then I can't watch the guy on Law and Order reruns for almost six month.

2. Go Ron Paul

I will be voting for him... his stances are closest to our faith than anyone else that has a chance of being elected.

Proportional reasoning in order - by order of the Church:
1) Life (anti-aborition)
2) Family (marriage = man + woman)
3) Social Justice (helping the poor)
4) Global Solidarity

see:
Faithful Citizenship:
[b]A Catholic Call to Political [u]Responsibility[/u][/b]
[url="http://www.usccb.org/faithfulcitizenship/bishopStatement.html"]http://www.usccb.org/faithfulcitizenship/b...pStatement.html[/url]

It is our responsibility to vote our faith.

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='kateri05' post='1350097' date='Aug 5 2007, 03:14 AM']wow, he sounds pretty great. i wonder how much of a shot he actually has tho :idontknow:[/quote]

According to a series of different polls (Rasmussen, Real Clear Politics, etc.), Fred Thompson is solidly in second place for the Republican Presidential nod, behind Giuliani anywhere between 2-10 points. And he hasn't even announced his candidacy yet, nor has he had the coverage that the other candidates have.

So, to answer your question, yes, he has a good shot. Check out [url="http://www.imwithfred.com"]ImwithFred.com[/url] for more info.