An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ministry Position

The Joey-O

I'm applying around in about a week for administrative positions around my diocese. This is my first time applying for a real job, and I'm a little worried. My undergrad degree is from a Protestant school (as I used to be a Protestant). I'm in the middle of a graduate degree in Catholic Studies. I would love to be a deacon (but as far as I understand I have to wait until I'm 35). So, in the mean time, I am shooting for an administrative assitant or director for a few years. As a Protestant, I had a lot of recourses and connections through my old church and school. I have established some connections at my new school and my current parish, but I'm still not totally certain if I'm going about doing things correctly. If anybody has any tips about applying for jobs in the church or knows of positions available in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, your help would be greatly appreciatied!

In Christ,

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1259308' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:27 PM']I'm applying around in about a week for administrative positions around my diocese. This is my first time applying for a real job, and I'm a little worried. My undergrad degree is from a Protestant school (as I used to be a Protestant). I'm in the middle of a graduate degree in Catholic Studies. I would love to be a deacon (but as far as I understand I have to wait until I'm 35). So, in the mean time, I am shooting for an administrative assitant or director for a few years. As a Protestant, I had a lot of recourses and connections through my old church and school. I have established some connections at my new school and my current parish, but I'm still not totally certain if I'm going about doing things correctly. If anybody has any tips about applying for jobs in the church or knows of positions available in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, your help would be greatly appreciatied!

In Christ,[/quote]

+

Joey,

Don't worry. Your Catholic Studies degree in progress, will speak well of you. And, your conversion will probably be an added attraction, not a hindrance -most converts are very passionate and solid and Church people know that! What was your undergraduate degree? Where did you study? I work for the diocese: If you pm me, I can try to direct you to some receptive parishes. I have alot of friends in parishes around the diocese :) Also go to the Archdioce's Website. It is a huge resource for parish and Catholic school positions:

[url="http://www.archspm.org/employment/EmpPosAvail3-15-04.htm"]http://www.archspm.org/employment/EmpPosAvail3-15-04.htm[/url]

Edited by Veritas

My situation is literally the same as Joey's. Heck, I was his undergrad roomie.

Im graduating this year with a double major in general ministry and biblical/theological studies. I have applied for the FUS distance program MA in theology. I live in Rochester, MN and I would really love to work in a church setting. I have already been offered a handful of protestant jobs but I turned those down. My thought right now is to get a nice resume with my ministry experience and my thesis paper as well as my conversion story attached. I have leadership training from Active duty Army as well as business training from working on a net-based project for the last three years.

Veritas, Do you have any connections near rochester? I would easily be willing to drive but none of the positions on your website are within an hour. The idea of not working in a church brings me down.

Joey would have made an amazing pastor. Ive seen him preach, Ive seen him council. He is a classy person and any church that has him in their office would be greatly blessed with an awesome story, and a great investment.

Edited by Revprodeji

dee_lt4life

try www.netusa.org and click on "Job Postings"

also, you might try, www.ncea.org and click on "NCEA Job Bank" which is on the top right.

good luck!

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1260651' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:33 PM']My situation is literally the same as Joey's. Heck, I was his undergrad roomie.

Im graduating this year with a double major in general ministry and biblical/theological studies. I have applied for the FUS distance program MA in theology. I live in Rochester, MN and I would really love to work in a church setting. I have already been offered a handful of protestant jobs but I turned those down. My thought right now is to get a nice resume with my ministry experience and my thesis paper as well as my conversion story attached. I have leadership training from Active duty Army as well as business training from working on a net-based project for the last three years.

Veritas, Do you have any connections near rochester? I would easily be willing to drive but none of the positions on your website are within an hour. The idea of not working in a church brings me down.

Joey would have made an amazing pastor. Ive seen him preach, Ive seen him council. He is a classy person and any church that has him in their office would be greatly blessed with an awesome story, and a great investment.[/quote]

+

Your ideas sound great. I would just add that it is REALLY important to get into Catholic Church work doing whatever you can, NOW. Experience counts for a lot. That means volunteer as a Catechist, help with the youth group, be an RCIA sponsor, volunteer to be a lector and/or extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, bring communion to the home-bound, make visits on behalf of the parish to the elderly, start a young adult group, lead a Catholic Bible study, be an altar server, etc.

Hmm.... Rochester.... just keep checking the website, this is the time, things will be opening-up all-over. Don't give up! We NEED you guys working for the Church!

PS: Ave Maria University has a satellite program in Minneapolis now where you can work on your MA in Pastoral Theology. It is one weekend a month for 2-3 years. A new session begins in the fall. [url="http://www.ipt.avemaria.edu/"]http://www.ipt.avemaria.edu/[/url]

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1259308' date='Apr 28 2007, 10:27 PM']I'm applying around in about a week for administrative positions around my diocese. This is my first time applying for a real job, and I'm a little worried. My undergrad degree is from a Protestant school (as I used to be a Protestant). I'm in the middle of a graduate degree in Catholic Studies. I would love to be a deacon (but as far as I understand I have to wait until I'm 35). So, in the mean time, I am shooting for an administrative assitant or director for a few years. As a Protestant, I had a lot of recourses and connections through my old church and school. I have established some connections at my new school and my current parish, but I'm still not totally certain if I'm going about doing things correctly. If anybody has any tips about applying for jobs in the church or knows of positions available in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, your help would be greatly appreciatied!

In Christ,[/quote]
I am a current ministry student (MDiv) and I work in admissions at a Catholic graduate school. As you look for jobs, I would ask prospective employers about their requirements for higher degrees and ministry. A graduate certificate is not the same as a masters degree is not the same as diocesan formation. A future employer may see all these things as equal... and seeing as it appears as if you are currently enrolled in a masters program (in Catholic studies), I would imagine you'd want an employer to appreciate your hard work and financial investment. Perhaps your future employer would be willing to help finance the rest of your degree. I would also talk about on-going formation opportunities--such as annual retreats, professional memberships, and/or attending conferences.

I don't know if that's concrete enough/applicable/or at all helpful... but you certainly have my prayers!

[quote name='Veritas' post='1261208' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:47 PM']PS: Ave Maria University has a satellite program in Minneapolis now where you can work on your MA in Pastoral Theology. It is one weekend a month for 2-3 years. A new session begins in the fall. [url="http://www.ipt.avemaria.edu/"]http://www.ipt.avemaria.edu/[/url][/quote]
I didn't explicitly mention this in my comments above, but I would add that an unaccredited degree (which Ave Maria-aside from its law degrees-confers) is NOT the same as an accredited degree. If you do feel called to an unaccredited program, please, [i]please [/i]talk this over with a prospective employer (and recognize such degrees may not welcomed by other future employers).

*clink, clink*

[quote name='shortnun' post='1261235' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:06 PM']I didn't explicitly mention this in my comments above, but I would add that an unaccredited degree (which Ave Maria-aside from its law degrees-confers) is NOT the same as an accredited degree. If you do feel called to an unaccredited program, please, [i]please [/i]talk this over with a prospective employer (and recognize such degrees may not welcomed by other future employers).

*clink, clink*[/quote]

+

( Regarding the question of accredation at MTS, I received this response from the Institute:

The MTS degree program as designed and operated by the IPT and now offered by AMU has, in its past, successfully undergone several review processes and has passed with commendations, but it is institutions that are accredited, not individual programs or degrees. As a newly constituted institution in the State of Florida, Ave Maria is authorized to grant degrees and we are following all the procedures leading toward accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. After AMU receives accreditation, alumni who earned degrees before accreditation will be able to say, “My degree is from an accredited institution.” Every state in which we operate has approved of our operating in the state, and each Bishop or Archbishop of the Diocese or Archdiocese in which we operate has sent a letter of welcome or endorsement of our program. The short answer to your question is “not yet.” It’s a several year process. I provide the above information only to help you make the best decision possible. Please let me know if I can supply you with any additional information.

In essence: I wouldn't be scared away from getting some solid Catholic formation. :) )

[quote name='shortnun' post='1261235' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:06 PM']I didn't explicitly mention this in my comments above, but I would add that an unaccredited degree (which Ave Maria-aside from its law degrees-confers) is NOT the same as an accredited degree. If you do feel called to an unaccredited program, please, [i]please [/i]talk this over with a prospective employer (and recognize such degrees may not welcomed by other future employers).

*clink, clink*[/quote]

+

( Regarding the question of accredation at MTS, I received this response from the Institute:

The MTS degree program as designed and operated by the IPT and now offered by AMU has, in its past, successfully undergone several review processes and has passed with commendations, but it is institutions that are accredited, not individual programs or degrees. As a newly constituted institution in the State of Florida, Ave Maria is authorized to grant degrees and we are following all the procedures leading toward accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. After AMU receives accreditation, alumni who earned degrees before accreditation will be able to say, “My degree is from an accredited institution.” Every state in which we operate has approved of our operating in the state, and each Bishop or Archbishop of the Diocese or Archdiocese in which we operate has sent a letter of welcome or endorsement of our program. The short answer to your question is “not yet.” It’s a several year process. I provide the above information only to help you make the best decision possible. Please let me know if I can supply you with any additional information.

In essence: I wouldn't be scared away from getting some solid Catholic formation. :) )

[quote name='Veritas' post='1261208' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:47 PM']PS: Ave Maria University has a satellite program in Minneapolis now where you can work on your MA in Pastoral Theology. It is one weekend a month for 2-3 years. A new session begins in the fall. [url="http://www.ipt.avemaria.edu/"]http://www.ipt.avemaria.edu/[/url][/quote]

I am applying for the Masters in Theology from Fransician University Steubenville. If they dont accept me I will bribe Brother Adam, PhatCatholic and Raphel to picket the admin office.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1261427' date='May 1 2007, 12:17 AM']I am applying for the Masters in Theology from Fransician University Steubenville. If they dont accept me I will bribe Brother Adam, PhatCatholic and Raphel to picket the admin office.[/quote]

+

I've heard that works.

:lol_roll:

• 1 month later...

I applied for a youth coord job, but was turned down. Something about the director not liking my mom from when I was a kid. (my mom was a catholic who was a litugical minister but she left the church after arguing with some people. Apparently this guy.)

Im bummed. But looking for more openings.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1316773' date='Jul 7 2007, 01:22 PM']No luck yet.[/quote]
Continued prayers. :pray:

I know [b][url="http://www.catholicjobs.com"]this website[/url][/b] is updated regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks shortnun.

It is just sad. If I did not convert I would be working in a church somewhere as an associate pastor. But now I cant find anything. It is just very sad.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1333926' date='Jul 18 2007, 03:54 PM']Thanks shortnun.

It is just sad. If I did not convert I would be working in a church somewhere as an associate pastor. But now I cant find anything. It is just very sad.[/quote]
It is sad. I know you're looking for positions in MN... but try [b][url="http://www.ai.edu/careers/jobs/index.php"]this link[/url][/b].