An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communities That Take A Fourth Vow...

Veritas

TheOliverOrder88

I ran into a seminarian... who I forget what Order he's in, but that particular order takes a "Vow of wisdom".... Apparently, there are only about 12 priests in this society....

It might not even be an order....

• 2 months later...

I thought an additional men's communities that take four vows and thought I'd add them to our discussion here:

[u]Oblates of Mary Immaculate-[/u] [b][url="http://www.omiusa.org/Oblates.com/Vocations4Vows.htm"]Fourth Vow of Perseverance[/url][/b]

my EVERYTHING!

If I remember well, (I don't feel like searching for it now) the Fraternites Monastiques de Jerusalem have the normal three as well as Conversion of Life and Stability - but stability is interpreted a different way. The idea is to not leave the monastery a lot, etc. but they can be transfered, say, from Florence to Strasbourg.

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1258821' date='Apr 28 2007, 01:59 PM'][b]10. Passionist Nuns also take a 4th of Enclosure & a 5th: "To promote devotion to and grateful remembrance
of the Passion and death of Jesus"[/b][/quote]

A Passionits told me this:

"After Vatican II the Passionist Congregation changed the order of the vows putting the charism vow #1 - A vow to promote devotion to and grateful remembrance of His sacred passion. The other vows kind of flow out of this vow
because this is the meaning of our life - HIS LOVE - chastity, poverty, obedience and enclosure."

• 9 months later...

The Jesuits, .[i]...cough cough..[/i]
"besides the three usual solemn vows of religion, [b]a fourth, of special obedience to the pope[/b] :bigthink: in the matter of missions, undertaking to go wherever they are sent, without even requiring money for the journey. They also make certain additional, but non-essential, simple vows, in the matter of poverty, and the refusal of external honours,([i]cough, cough..ahem[/i]) The professed of the four vows constitute the kernel of the Society;"
- from the Catholic Encyclopedia under Jesuit

Edited by EJames2