An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cross Examination

carrdero

In the Bible it states that Jesus was nailed to a cross. Nails went into his outstretched hands and both his feet. Would this be enough to hold Christ up and support his weight?

from my recollections of discussions on this in the past, not if it was through the palm of the hand, but yes if it was through the wrist. If I remember rightly the word "hand" at one point included at least part of what we now call the forearm. Someone can correct me if I misspeak.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='carrdero' post='1256989' date='Apr 26 2007, 01:37 PM']In the Bible it states that Jesus was nailed to a cross. Nails went into his outstretched hands and both his feet. Would this be enough to hold Christ up and support his weight?[/quote]

Are you doubting that crucifixions ever happened?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='carrdero' post='1256989' date='Apr 26 2007, 02:37 PM']In the Bible it states that Jesus was nailed to a cross. Nails went into his outstretched hands and both his feet. Would this be enough to hold Christ up and support his weight?[/quote]

No, his arms would probably also have been tied to the crossbeam, and his feet would have had something to rest against. Crucifixion was intended to be a slow, agonizing death from hunger, thirst and exposure over a period of days. The longer the victim was on the cross, the more labored his breathing would become as his lungs / chest cavity filled with fluid. The victim would need to pull himself up by his arms (most victims were usually just tied, not nailed, to the cross), and pushing himself up with his feet to allow him to expand his chest in order to breathe. That is why the Jewish elders asked that Jesus' legs be broken -- so that he wouldn't be able to push himself up to ease his breathing, and thus expire more quickly.

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1256996' date='Apr 26 2007, 03:42 PM']Are you doubting that crucifixions ever happened?[/quote]
No, just been pondering lately.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1257000' date='Apr 26 2007, 03:47 PM']No, his arms would probably also have been tied to the crossbeam, and his feet would have had something to rest against. Crucifixion was intended to be a slow, agonizing death from hunger, thirst and exposure over a period of days. The longer the victim was on the cross, the more labored his breathing would become as his lungs / chest cavity filled with fluid. The victim would need to pull himself up by his arms (most victims were usually just tied, not nailed, to the cross), and pushing himself up with his feet to allow him to expand his chest in order to breathe. That is why the Jewish elders asked that Jesus' legs be broken -- so that he wouldn't be able to push himself up to ease his breathing, and thus expire more quickly.[/quote]
I had heard this too. Jesus didn't die from loss of blood but from suffocation. If I remember correctly the two thieves that were punished with Jesus were just tied.

Edited by carrdero

CatholicCid

I remember reading somehwere recently that nails through the palms would actually be possible as a nerve they would be piercing would make it much more agonizing. If this was done though, then they would also have to lash his wrists to the cross. I'll see if I can find the article later.

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1257030' date='Apr 26 2007, 04:27 PM']I remember reading somehwere recently that nails through the palms would actually be possible as a nerve they would be piercing would make it much more agonizing. If this was done though, then they would also have to lash his wrists to the cross. I'll see if I can find the article later.[/quote]
And I believe Jesus did have Thomas examine his palms (hands) though I may be mistaken.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='carrdero' post='1257023' date='Apr 26 2007, 03:12 PM']I had heard this too. Jesus didn't die from loss of blood but from suffocation. If I remember correctly the two thieves that were punished with Jesus were just tied.[/quote]

Check out the following site, which contains the text from an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association published in 1986, "On the physical death of Jesus Christ."

[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=252"]http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=252[/url]