An Old School Catholic Message Board

God, Death And Karma

carrdero

Does the sacrifice of Jesus dying for our sins involve the implementation of a system of karma? If so, are we all involved in this method or was it just reserved for Jesus?

[quote name='carrdero' post='1256010' date='Apr 25 2007, 08:33 AM']Does the sacrifice of Jesus dying for our sins involve the implementation of a system of karma? If so, are we all involved in this method or was it just reserved for Jesus?[/quote]
:huh:

can you elaborate a bit?

and off the cuff I would say, no, there was no system of karma implemented. But I'd like to get a better idea of what you are asking.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1256029' date='Apr 25 2007, 10:29 AM']:huh:

can you elaborate a bit?
and off the cuff I would say, no, there was no system of karma implemented. But I'd like to get a better idea of what you are asking.[/quote]
[quote]carrdero writes: Does the sacrifice of Jesus dying for our sins involve the implementation of a system of karma? If so, are we all involved in this method or was it just reserved for Jesus?[/quote]

My apologies, I should have worded it to read:

Does the sacrifice of Jesus dying for our sins involve the [b][i]evidence[/i] [/b]of a system of karma? If so, are we all involved in this method or was it just reserved for Jesus?

For example since it was Adam and Eve that caused and introduced the original sin and since the belief exists that Jesus was to be sacrificed for all the sins that transpired does that mean that God advocated a karma system. Not exactly the "what you reap you sow" type karma but more of a "balancing the scales" type of karma.

Edited by carrdero

hmmm

well, it's clear that Christ's sacrifice righted the wrong of Adam's sin ... but saying it's a karmic system and that it's all about balancing the scales diminishes the nature of the sacrifice. Jesus didn't just come to right wrongs, but to fulfill a covenant God made to man, allowing us to have a path into fellowship with God. So aside from the fact that the notion of karma carries with it a lot of verbal baggage that makes me squirm, I don't think it comes close to adequately describing the nature and purpose of the sacrifice.

That make sense?

Thy Geekdom Come

No, certainly not a "balancing the scales" type of thing. Jesus' sacrifice of love far outweighs the weight of sin, so there's no balance involved, nor do Christians strive for a balance between good and evil.

Christians reject dualism, the idea that good and evil are equal and polar opposites. Evil is a lack of good. Jesus came to make up for what was lacking and fill it to overflowing.