An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Jews Couldnt Kill Christ...

Advocatus Diaboli

Advocatus Diaboli

I have noticed something that would seem (if unexplained) to contrary in Christianity. The reason Christ was crucified by the romans and not stoned or killed by the jews is because there was a roman law that forbid the jews from putting prisoners to death. But John was a prisoner and he was put to death on the orders of a Jewish "king" was he not?

Mateo el Feo

Off the top of my head, maybe the reason is that the Sanhedrin didn't have the authority to put someone to death, but the rulers in the Jewish puppet government could. Looking at the following website, I get the impression that men like Herod did plenty of killing:
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07289c.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07289c.htm[/url]
In particular, I'm thinking of King Herod's infanticide when Jesus was a child.

Thy Geekdom Come

The Jews didn't actually care that they couldn't put someone to death. They did it all the time.

What you should take notice of, though, is that they wanted Him to die on a tree. St. Paul tells us in Galatians 3:13 that this is the worst kind of death, cursed by God.

It's not the only time the Jews were inconsistent, either. Jesus sweat blood in the Garden of Eden, so He was ritually unclean, but one Jew hit Him in the temple, other Jews undoubtedly grabbed at Him to throw Him around, still more must have touched Him in crucifying Him. Further, the death of a blasphemer was supposed to be stoning, but they threw that out the window, too. The conclusion the Gospels lead us to is that they just wanted Him dead, no matter what the cost.

God bless,

Micah

[quote name='Raphael' post='1254923' date='Apr 24 2007, 08:48 AM']Further, the death of a blasphemer was supposed to be stoning, but they threw that out the window, too.[/quote]
They tried stoning him in John 8 after he identified himself as Yahweh.

• 5 months later...
hyperdulia again

The Sanhedrin's lack of authority didn't stop Sanhedrin sanctioned murders. Not an attempt to make all Jews of "Christ's time" or any Jews of today responsible for the deocide.

[quote name='hyperdulia again' post='1401740' date='Oct 13 2007, 03:29 PM']The Sanhedrin's lack of authority didn't stop Sanhedrin sanctioned murders. Not an attempt to make all Jews of "Christ's time" or any Jews of today responsible for the deocide.[/quote]
You said the "D" word!