An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sleeping In The Same Bed As Your Loved One

XIX

Okay so say hypothetically speaking, I am going to sleep and I am with my hypothetical girlfriend. Nothing sexual involved, maybe a quick goodnight kiss but that's it. But we are sleeping in the same bed together.

Good thing? Bad thing? Discuss. :)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1254082' date='Apr 23 2007, 12:24 PM']Bad thing... even though it doesn't seem like a bad thing.[/quote]

Curious...

What Church teaching justifies this?

hoosieranna

I asked a similar question on the question board. The answer was no. There were a couple of different parts to the question, and they were all Nos.

Standard answer is this: not wrong in and of itself; but it is a near occassion of sin and a scandal to others making it not acceptable.

just because there's no one left in our society with the decency to be scandalized doesn't mean it doesn't remain a scandal: because it proclaims to everyone who knows by your actions that it's an okay thing for a guy and girl to sleep together, behind closed doors, where no one can see what they do. Even if you do nothing; even if you are not tempted to do anything, you create the idea of an acceptable situation whereby others may come to do things or be tempted to do things.

Near occasion of sin: you are putting yourself/loved one in a situation where temptation is strong.

Avoiding appearance of impropriety: even if you don’t actually engage in inappropriate behavior, you create the appearance of such behavior, which can then encourage others in sin because they assume you have given assent to improper behavior.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1254114' date='Apr 23 2007, 01:24 PM']Standard answer is this: not wrong in and of itself; but it is a near occassion of sin and a scandal to others making it not acceptable.

just because there's no one left in our society with the decency to be scandalized doesn't mean it doesn't remain a scandal: because it proclaims to everyone who knows by your actions that it's an okay thing for a guy and girl to sleep together, behind closed doors, where no one can see what they do. Even if you do nothing; even if you are not tempted to do anything, you create the idea of an acceptable situation whereby others may come to do things or be tempted to do things.[/quote]

But are we to govern our lives by what others will think of our actions? I mean, if lust and sexuality is not a huge issue in your relationship, and you do so with the mutual understanding that absolutely NOTHING will happen, I don't know if I see the big deal.

[quote name='kujo' post='1254118' date='Apr 23 2007, 11:27 AM']But are we to govern our lives by what others will think of our actions? I mean, if lust and sexuality is not a huge issue in your relationship, and you do so with the mutual understanding that absolutely NOTHING will happen, I don't know if I see the big deal.[/quote]
yes we should take into consideration the weaknesses and thoughts of others

It is part of being loving to your neighbor