An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Theory Of Being "born Again"

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1253629' date='Apr 22 2007, 09:15 PM']Where is enfant baptism in the Bible?[/quote]

Hey, sorry if you were offended, FullTruth. Sola Scriptura is [b][i]your[/i][/b] doctrine, not mine. So, I'm asking you a logical question: Where is that in the Bible? If it isn't in the Bible, please just say so.

As I have said many times, Sola Scriptura is unhistorical, unbiblical, untenable, and untrue. Please see my thread about Bibles during the first 1000 years and the one about how 27 writings became the NT.

There are passages in the NT that one can say probably refer to infant baptism, however. The baptism of Lydia and her household, and the baptism of the jailer and his household, for example, probably included younguns. I can't prove that these households included young children; but you can't prove that they didn't. :P: And St. Peter said that the promise of baptism is made for us and our children (Acts 2:39).

But original Christianity wasn't based on the Bible, and I belong to the original Christian Church whose Faith comes from the Apostles. Catholics read the Scriptures in the light of the teaching of the Apostles.

The Early Church Fathers are witnesses to the Church's practice of infant baptism. I'll quote only one:

"The Church received from the Apostles the tradition of giving Baptism even to infants. For the Apostles, to whom were committed the secrets of the divine mysteries, knew there is in everyone the innate stains of sin, which must be washed away by water and the Spirit." [i]Origen, The Fundamental Doctrines, A.D. 220-230. [/i]

The Lord be with you,

Likos