An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Shoes

be_thou_my_vision

be_thou_my_vision

Yes, I have seen that congregation on retreat at the Motherhouse a few times when I was up there! They are a very nice order... It's hard not to love the Franciscans... :)

Chiquitunga

Oh neat! I think a couple of their sisters live at Mishawaka and may do some of the same ministry that the Srs of St. Francis there do .. I just stayed at one of their convents with 6 sisters who teach for a time, though not discerning their particular order. I'm pretty sure they're an all Indian congregation. They go back to India every 2 years or so. In India they are in the Syro-Malabar rite.

But to bring the subject back to shoes .. :blush: :hijack: they wear shoes here in America, but not in India. Either they have sandals or barefeet there (it gets pretty hot there, also that's why they have white Carmelite habits, as well as brown - some people think they're Dominican bc of that) Also they always take their shoes off before going into church .. outside their chapel there would always be a bunch of shoes .. ^_^

Edited by Margaret Clare

be_thou_my_vision

Now wouldn't no shoes make things simpler!
I have seen the Indian sisters wear white when nursing... they do look like dominicans!

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1247592' date='Apr 17 2007, 09:36 PM']It's hard not to love the Franciscans... :)[/quote]

:saint: Amen!

• 1 month later...
be_thou_my_vision

Umm ya SAS "Freetime" for anyone who's looking in the future. SAS= best shoe ever.

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1247743' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:16 AM']Oh neat! I think a couple of their sisters live at Mishawaka and may do some of the same ministry that the Srs of St. Francis there do .. I just stayed at one of their convents with 6 sisters who teach for a time, though not discerning their particular order. I'm pretty sure they're an all Indian congregation. They go back to India every 2 years or so. In India they are in the Syro-Malabar rite.

But to bring the subject back to shoes .. :blush: :hijack: they wear shoes here in America, but not in India. Either they have sandals or barefeet there (it gets pretty hot there, also that's why they have white Carmelite habits, as well as brown - some people think they're Dominican bc of that) Also they always take their shoes off before going into church .. outside their chapel there would always be a bunch of shoes .. ^_^[/quote]

The Capuchin Sisters are the same way...inside we are barefoot and outside is only sandals....

Inside the chapel never shoes, but yes into a Church in public we wear sandals otherwise hehe it'd be funny to have a pile of sandals at the entrance!

Edited by SisterAli

AlterDominicus

I'm curious...I have a couple ideas, but why do they not wear shoes inside? I think I get the reason as to why they dont wear them in the Chapel.

philosophette

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1279455' date='May 22 2007, 07:47 PM']I'm curious...I have a couple ideas, but why do they not wear shoes inside? I think I get the reason as to why they dont wear them in the Chapel.[/quote]

Its a Franciscan tradition and from my understanding, a symbol of poverty and humility.

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1279467' date='May 22 2007, 08:18 PM']Its a Franciscan tradition and from my understanding, a symbol of poverty and humility.[/quote]

You got it!

LAst year when i was pruchasing my items on the postulants list, the SAS shoes are the ones to get! They last forever!!! However the kicker is that they run over $100...i think i spent $150 on my shoes but close to $120 i think with the discounts they gave me for the fun of it!!!! However the SAS shoes are really hard to find...only special stores carry them....but I would recommend the SAS!!!!!

Good LUCK!!!

Totus Tuus

Around here was actually have quite a few "SAS" stores - which sell only SAS and can fit you for them. That's convenient for me since my left foot is longer than my right :blush: