An Old School Catholic Message Board

Example Of Taking Mary

dairygirl4u2c

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

johnnydigit

is there a thread that covers all the parallels of Mary in the OT and NT and her role in our salvation? the new eve, queen mother, new ark of the covenant, etc. i think knowing these will shed a lot of light on all the titles she has and show how all these things we do still fall short of what she deserves.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1246940' date='Apr 17 2007, 03:51 AM']is there a thread that covers all the parallels of Mary in the OT and NT and her role in our salvation? the new eve, queen mother, new ark of the covenant, etc. i think knowing these will shed a lot of light on all the titles she has and show how all these things we do still fall short of what she deserves.[/quote]
You would be looking for a thread on"the typology Of Mary" I have not been at this site to long,its alot to soak in! I know Books,.....".A Father who keeps his promises" by Dr. Scott Hahn is good for that also.

Dr. Scott Hahn's "Hail Holy Queen" deals with it more, I think.

jck, there are some apocryphal christian writings like the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary and the Protoevangelium of James which represent some of the popular traditions in the first few centuries about those years; but they are referred to as the private years of Christ and Mary prior to His public ministry.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1247145' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:14 PM']Dr. Scott Hahn's "Hail Holy Queen" deals with it more, I think.

jck, there are some apocryphal christian writings like the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary and the Protoevangelium of James which represent some of the popular traditions in the first few centuries about those years; but they are referred to as the private years of Christ and Mary prior to His public ministry.[/quote]
They were obviously private for a reason.(meaning you can not find them) Scott Hahn is a blessing, I have learned alot through the eyes of a former "anti-catholic!

Edited by jckinsman

johnnydigit

ah yes "typology", "type". and Hail Holy Queen covers a ton too. when you see the parallels of how she is the new ark of the covenant side by side, it is just simply undeniable. either you haven't learned about it, or you're simply blind as a bat for some reason. look at the chart at the bottom to[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=6811"]http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=6811[/url]
seriously, God didn't make those connections on accident. i'd sure like to hear what wisdom a protestant can claim about those..

fyi here's hail holy queen, 13 part series! [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=6668&T1=scott+hahn"]http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/series...p;T1=scott+hahn[/url]

and you can search a ton of other talks here [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/intro.asp"]http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/intro.asp[/url]

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1245746' date='Apr 16 2007, 12:58 PM']Does Mary actuall control Grace to the extent it's accurate to say she 'confers' Grace?[/quote]

St. Bernardine of Siena : 'Every grace that is communicated to this world has a threefold course. For by excellent order, it is dispensed from God to Christ, from Christ to the Virgin, from the Virgin to us.'"

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4.htm[/url]

Likos

The Church obviously does not think the prayer "Prayer of St. Alphonsus to be said before a picture or statue of Our Blessed Lady" contains incorrect theology since it is printed on page 427 of the prayerbook [i]Blessed Be God[/i] which has on the copyright page the following printed words: "IMPRIMATUR Patrick Cardinal Hayes Archbishop of New York New York March 19, 1925". Moreover, the words "(Ind. of 300 days, each time. -- Pius IX. Sept. 7, 1854)" are printed after the text of the prayer "Prayer of St. Alphonsus to be said before a picture or statue of Our Blessed Lady" on page 427 of the prayerbook [i]Blessed Be God[/i] which obviously means that the Universal Pontiff more than approved of this prayer.

Edited by StThomasMore

Mary confers grace upon mankind because she assented to the incarnation, and became the Mother of God.

As St. Gregory Palamas, Bishop of Thessalonika, said in his homily [i]On the Most Venerable Dormition of Our Exceedingly Pure Lady, Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary[/i]:

[quote]. . . [A]ll creation praises the Virgin Mother, not just in past time, but "for ever, even for ever and ever." From this we can see that she will never cease doing good to the whole of creation, not just to the human race, but also to the immaterial supernatural hosts of angels. The fact that they, like us, partake of and touch the intangible divine nature only through her is clearly shown by Isaiah. For he did not see the Seraphim taking the live coal directly off the altar, but picking it up with tongs, which he also used to touch his prophetic lips to purify them (Isaiah 6:6-7). This vision of the tongs is the same as that great vision which Moses saw of the bush burning with fire but not consumed (Exodus 3:2). Is there anyone who is unaware that the Virgin Mother is both that bush and those tongs, which held the divine fire without being burnt; for was it not to this very mystery that the Archangel ministered at her conception, which united through her the One Who takes away the sin of the world with the race of men, and which, through this indescribable union, has thoroughly cleansed us? She alone stands at the border between created and uncreated nature, and no one can come to God unless he is truly illumined by her, the true lamp of divine radiance. "For God is in the midst of her," says the Scripture, "she shall not be moved" (Psalm 46:5). [St. Gregory Palamas, [i]Homily 37[/i], no. 15][/quote]

My prayers go to Jesus Christ alone!

My praises go to Jesus Christ alone!

For he is worthy of all power, glory, and honour!

His is the kingdom, and he is the blessed and [b]only Potentate[/b], the King of kings, and the Lord of lords!

Jesus is awesome. Why pray to Mary, when you can talk to the King of kings and the Lord of lords!

Any prayer to Mary/saints is giving onto human beings what is reserved only for God. And don't use the, if you ask someone on earth to pray for you things. That is totally different!

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1253744' date='Apr 22 2007, 09:27 PM']My prayers go to Jesus Christ alone!

My praises go to Jesus Christ alone!

For he is worthy of all power, glory, and honour!

His is the kingdom, and he is the blessed and [b]only Potentate[/b], the King of kings, and the Lord of lords!

Jesus is awesome. Why pray to Mary, when you can talk to the King of kings and the Lord of lords!

Any prayer to Mary/saints is giving onto human beings what is reserved only for God. And don't use the, if you ask someone on earth to pray for you things. That is totally different![/quote]
[quote]And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth,To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David: and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: [b]Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.[/b][/quote]~ Luke 1:26-28

[quote]And it came to pass that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost. And she cried out with a loud voice and said: [b]Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.[/b] And whence is this to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?[/quote]~ Luke 1:41-43

Straight from the Bible!

Edited by Socrates