An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fornication Or Masturbation

Resurrexi

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

not to mention which one will send you to a deeper level of hell (for these are mortal sins). there are different levels of heaven (Christ himself attests to it by saying some will be greatest and some will be least in the kingdom of heaven) and different levels of hell (justice demands this, as some deserve more punishment than others)

One question...Little boys seem to do it without really knowing anything about sex....Or even if there is sex....I don't want to go to deep on a Christian board..I wouldn't think they would be sinn :unsure: ing.

once upon a time there was a little thing called "the talk". nowadays, that's handled by television; actually, it probably was always largely a myth in our societ. but certain things should be discussed with boys as they begin puberty, and the father should do it. Uncomfortable? Tough, get over it. Your son needs your guidance.

anything that happens before puberty cannot really be classified as masturbation... if 7 is the age of reason for regular sins, puberty is like an age of reason for sexual sins.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1253925' date='Apr 23 2007, 12:36 AM']not to mention which one will send you to a deeper level of hell (for these are mortal sins). there are different levels of heaven (Christ himself attests to it by saying some will be greatest and some will be least in the kingdom of heaven) and different levels of hell (justice demands this, as some deserve more punishment than others)[/quote]

oh ya definitely true. fornication can do some serious emotional damage quickly. your friends, social life, grades, peers, family, all that can be noticeably affected when you start to cross that line in a relationship (or lack thereof).

with the other, it seems like more of a personal, self-discipline kind of thing. there's the respect for women (or men) and deeper psychological aspect, but again much less "fatal". i'm thinking it comes later on in the quest for sanctity and spirituality for most of us. if you've always had it under control, then i'd say you're a lucky guy and ready to take on a harder challenge..

• 3 weeks later...
Paladin D

Both are mortal sins.

However, fornication (unlike masturbation) not only leads [b]you[/b] to sin, but it also leads [b]the other person[/b] into sin as well.

Paddington

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1253479' date='Apr 22 2007, 10:33 PM']Fornication is premarital sex. You're thinking of adultery.[/quote]

Hey :)

BUT, you have to ask yourself if you would prefer your FUTURE wife to be a virgin when it comes time. Assuming that is your vocation.

Here is what a Christian couple told me about their wedding night. They prayed about getting rid of bad memories before they could even get themselves to do anything. Even the one who actually had "a past" was a little shaken about the other's past kissing sessions and emotional attachments.

ofpheritup

[quote name='thedude' post='1242279' date='Apr 13 2007, 10:14 PM']I believe both to be grave matter. I consider fornication to be more grave, however, as it always directly involves another person in the sin.[/quote]

He is right. We are leading someone else into sin, so of course when we are judged God will ask us why?

Fornication is not love.

• 10 months later...

They are both grave sins. Both very offensive to God. Besides that, I wouldn't want to have to confess either of these to my priest.

Apart from whether or not a sin is mortal vs. venial (where mortal sins should be avoided at all costs), one can also reasonably consider the negative consequences that come about as a result of a sin. For example, one seldom has a risk of getting a sexual transmitted disease as a result of masturbation, or a risk of preganancy (from both a man and woman's perspective), or worse yet, a risk of having one's child aborted (from a man's perspective). Masturbation clearly has less risk of negative consequences. Don't get me wrong, there are negative consequence to masturbation -- especially in the long run. Having sex with one's self is not necessarily consistent with heterosexual behavior, and clearly confuses one's emotions when trying to understand the exclusive beauty sex is meant to have in a monogamous relationship (marriage).

They are both bad. If everyone remembered that every time they commit these sins (or any) that Jesus is there watching them.

I agree both of these sins are really horrible. I hope everyone who is condeming them so heavily though confesses them to their priest if they commit them. Being a single 26 year old i know how tough it is and i think its the same for everyone else to. We are given these feelings and sometimes it almost seems impossible to turn them off. To the person who said they would never want to have to confess these sins to their priest it makes me assume you have never had to yet ? Godlbess you then. I know iv'e had to many times though and im guessing many are in the same situation as me. I remember back in highschool people were haveing sex in the 9th grade.

Not to keep going on and on but before comeing to this site I didnt even know what mortal sin was. So now thanks to phatmass I know everytime I commit fornication or masturbation Im commiting mortal sin and am being cut off from God. But it is my understanding that if one does not know its a mortal sin then they are not held accountable for it right ? Because Im just gonna keep it real alot of people commit both of these sins, christian or not. I know it doesnt make it right or any more acceptable but its just the truth. So is it the job of a faithfull catholic to tell all these people that they are commiting a mortal sin ? Because that is undoublty makeing their burden that much heavier if they dont realise that it is a mortal sin. Beause again, if they dont realise its a mortal sin then it isnt right ??

These are just thoughts, Im not trying to make this less serious then it is or make it sound like " o well everyone is doing it so dont stress it "

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Deb' post='1481410' date='Mar 21 2008, 11:40 PM']Besides that, I wouldn't want to have to confess either of these to my priest.[/quote]
Yeah, good point.

thessalonian

The option, equally greivious should have been given for the second question. Therefore I did not answer.

thessalonian

I changed my mind. Fornication is worse because it leads another in to sin. But both will get you hell if done willfully and knowingly.