An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are The Guys?

Jutty1224

Male discerning priesthood here. Sometime I have considered starting a own priesthood vocation forum, because this forum gets kind of a nun forum, not that is a negative thing, but I guess that men have other issues that they are thinking about. I really don't know...

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Well, I'm not on much, but I am discerning the priesthood, leaning more towards the Benedictine Abbey that runs my high-school right now.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors, especially your discernment!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Hello everybody,
I'm a dude.
I am a novice right now, so I have not been on much, add to that that I gave up the internet for Lent. In fact, I havent been going on phatmass for my novitiate year, but i am getting an acception for Easter!!!
Alleluia!!!
SHALOM
Mark
Ephrem of the Resurrection!

johnnydigit

[quote name='Jutty1224' post='1233523' date='Apr 7 2007, 10:36 AM']Most of the posts here seem to be from girls who are discerning a call to become sisters. Where are the guys who are discerning at call to the priesthood?[/quote]

hehe i'm new and i've noticed that too.

i'm leaning towards religious life, but i hear God pops suprises on you all the time.

are there any resources that has more in depth info on each order? the best i can find is [url="http://www.religiouslife.com"]http://www.religiouslife.com[/url] which has a brief description of the charism and formation program.

TheOliverOrder88

Yea, I haven't posted much because... well, I guess I don't have much to say. I am not going into any particular order, I am going into the diocese... so I can't post on charism or orthodoxy or anything of the sort.

I think the girls in most cases have alot more to think about.

johnnydigit

[quote name='TheOliverOrder88' post='1245542' date='Apr 16 2007, 07:43 AM']Yea, I haven't posted much because... well, I guess I don't have much to say. I am not going into any particular order, I am going into the diocese... so I can't post on charism or orthodoxy or anything of the sort.

I think the girls in most cases have alot more to think about.[/quote]

hm you seem to have the same disposition as a fellow i just met entering the diocese as well. are you somehow on restriction or something?

TheOliverOrder88

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1246913' date='Apr 17 2007, 01:29 AM']hm you seem to have the same disposition as a fellow i just met entering the diocese as well. are you somehow on restriction or something?[/quote]

No, by restriction do you mean from outside of myself? To put it plainly, my decision to enter is over and there is nothing interesting to say about it. The charism of the diocesan priest is like an everypriest...incasing nearly all of the other charism...

Or something like that, I've heard something like that before.

I'm in the seminary. Its sometimes hard to post in discussion boards for reasons of discretion. I used to post quite a bit, but now not so much. God willing I'll be ordained in 2 years.

peace...

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='PedroX' post='1248150' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:08 PM']I'm in the seminary. Its sometimes hard to post in discussion boards for reasons of discretion. I used to post quite a bit, but now not so much. God willing I'll be ordained in 2 years.

peace...[/quote]
Just noticed it was your birthday. Have a good one! (Well... the last half hour of so of it anyway...)

Myself, I am an utterly confused discerner. Cannot wait to talk to my pastor soon.

Edited by thedude

I am male...

I think sometimes guys just aren't so willing to open up and discuss things so close to their heart :-)
A gender stereotype? Perhaps, but it fits me!

God bless,
Gabriel

Edited by gabrielp

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='gabrielp' post='1249015' date='Apr 19 2007, 05:01 AM']I am male...

I think sometimes guys just aren't so willing to open up and discuss things so close to their heart :-)
A gender stereotype? Perhaps, but it fits me![/quote]

It's not a stereotype as much as the way we are wired, though of course not all guys are like that. But we definitely don't talk as much as girls ;-)

I opened up quite a bit in of my last posts on Vocation Station, but since then I've been too busy to get on this site much. For now, there isn't much to discuss... sometimes I wonder why people expect me to become a priest just because I happen to be an unmarried faithful Catholic in an archdiocese with fewer seminarians than Pakistan (I don't know that for a fact, but I'd put ten bucks on it and put the winnings in the collection plate on Sunday). It's pretty easy to let some of the pressure over the numbers and the dire predictions with so many priests retiring in the coming years get to you. Louisville's priest-to-layperson ratio is going to on par with the Philippines in a couple decades, but maybe we can just buy our local "Six Flags Over Jesus" (aka Southeast Christian) after they move into an even bigger building and call it "Fish Fry over Jesus." Regardless of what the future holds, I just put myself in the frame of mind that there are plenty of seminarians here and if I want to get married, it's not going to be like I'm letting down a bunch of people who keep telling me "you have a vocation." All that means is that I'm a good guy who isn't sleeping around and shows up to Mass on Sunday, and the next person who tells me I have a vocation might just hear it from me!

When you get right down to it, this worry over the "vocations crisis" says more about Catholics who don't believe "the gates of Hell will not prevail" than anything else.

So there ya go... if you wanted to hear from a guy, you go it :)

Edited by LouisvilleFan